Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: help from outerspace
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have done this and i dont want to go further until i get a good critic from you guys :)

Elmstreetart

My first impression is cool! After that I started looking closer and wondered how does the ship work? The engine is obviously a jet engine of some sort, the engine takes in air, mixes it with fuel, ignites the fuel air mixture and forces it out the back creating thrust, simplified I know, but it does bring up some questions, the first being fuel and were it is being stored, secondly, stabilizers, how does the craft maneuver? The problem with taking something we visually understand (the engine) and paint over it is that the most viewers have a basic understanding of how flight works and what a jet engine is, so you need to add other visual ques to ground the ship in realty, try small stabalizer wings, maybe some other ports that air can be pushed out to help increase maneuverability. WOW that was long a_ _ sentence!

Hope this helps.
I think you have some minor perspective issues, the cockpit compared to the front bonnet and the engine tech parts seem to be off. It's slight, but it's there and noticeable. The cast shadow isn't correctly mapped according to the shape, lighting and what I assume is the ground plane. Regardless of that if this is meant to be sitting on the ground, and presumably it's a flying / hovering machine of some sort, why doesn't it have landing gear or struts or something? It would never be engineered for the body to just rest on the ground.

Design wise the guns don't make any sense on this kind of vehicle. As Feng Zhu said, it's easy to just stick guns on something to make it look cool, but it's better and shows more skill to try and design stuff without them unless it's specifically militaristic. The silhouette is not very interesting and it kinda looks a bit like a deformed banana. The colour doesn't help this impression; I think struts and some things like elmstreet suggested poking out of it would help give it a bit of sex appeal.
The rendering is pretty cool but the main body material is still a bit matte. You could start adding some reflectivity to it to bring it more into the metallic, and highlights etc. Check out any of Scott Robertson's vids on Youtube. I suspect you have already though, because this seems inspired by some of his shapes a bit.
Hope that helps
Johny,

I think it would help all of us if you can give a description about the design.

What is it supposed to do?

Are there some guidelines you are following we'd need to take into consideration?

For example, it has guns, it this an after thought or an integral part of this concept?

Is yellow the color needed or one of many iterations to come?

Is it supposed to look matte, or shiny?
(04-30-2013, 11:18 AM)Mike086 Wrote: [ -> ]Johny,

I think it would help all of us if you can give a description about the design.

What is it supposed to do?

Are there some guidelines you are following we'd need to take into consideration?

For example, it has guns, it this an after thought or an integral part of this concept?

Is yellow the color needed or one of many iterations to come?

Is it supposed to look matte, or shiny?

thanks for your critics guys and yeh i should guive more informations... my idea is to create spaceship who will race in a competition (remember starwars? that kind of competition) the weapons are not a integral part of the concept i just add them to see if they will look cool or not... i dont have a guideline i just start this from scratch and create this kind of idea around the ship. sorry about my english

i took the weapons, and i must need to correct some perspective issues...
That's looking better. I think you still need to raise or hover the vehicle, so it's not just resting on the ground like that. The highlights are now a bit much on the side panels and wing. I'd say find an image of something in real life, that has the material you want to show on this and do some studies or paint from reference and apply to this. I don't think you're successfully showing the body material very consistently yet.
If this is like a pod racer, it might be cool once you've rendered the material as you want, to add weathering to show it all beat up as it would be if if was being raced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O98QUA7Iho
Also think about adding little details like danger signage around engine parts and decals and stuff like that. With stuff like this the litte added details like that really help tie it all together.