Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Joe's Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

JoeS

Hey, my names Joe Shaw and I'm 18 years old living in Manchester, England. I'm slowly working towards becoming a concept artist/Illustrator in the video games field.

I've been posting over at conceptart.org for the last 3 years already under the same username and thought it would be good to start posting here too. Please give any feedback or crits as I'm always looking for pointers in the right direction :)

For anybody interested, I'll drop a link to my CA sketchbook here

I guess I'll start by dropping a few studies

[Image: valuestudylandscape2_by_joes_16-d63ufr9.jpg]

[Image: valuestudylandscape_by_joes_16-d63ufye.jpg]

[Image: valuestudy14_by_joes_16-d63ug3f.jpg]

[Image: valuestudy16_by_joes_16-d63ug8s.jpg]

[Image: valuestudy10_by_joes_16-d63ugb2.jpg]

erick sambora

amazing artwork....
Hey Joe! Nice work! Good studys! I like your edgencontrole! The values also look pretty good ( maybe a bit to strong in the last one?) You should post the references from your studys so that people can give you a better critique on your work. For beeing 18 years old you are at a good place! Keep up the work!!

JoeS

erick and Matthias, thank you very much!

Will be streaming a study in several minutes! Feel free to join - http://www.livestream.com/artbyjoe
Wicked work Mr. Shaw.
Cool! I especially liked women studies. Nice brushstrokes. Do you use smudgeTool for rendering?

JoeS

Thank you Finnjamin and Nikt. No I almost never use the smudge tool and not in those figure studies. I used a combination of the hard and soft round brushes, blocking in the value shapes with the hard and then cutting into the edges with softer brushes, basically switching back and forth between hard/soft to create edges.

Here's the study I did while livestreaming for the first time today. No viewers, but hey! it was fun to try it out and I'll definitely be doing more in the future. The reference for this image was from Senshistock on Deviantart.

[Image: withoutref_by_joes_16-d64fh56.jpg]

JoeS

Streaming in 2 minutes!

http://www.livestream.com/artbyjoe

JoeS

I realize I haven't gotten round to posting up any imaginative work on this forum yet. I'll get round to it.

Another value enviro study from tonights live stream~

[Image: envirovaluestudy_by_joes_16-d64suq5.jpg]