Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Zachary McLean's Finished Work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
I recently joined this forum and it's been great so far! I'm 16, living in Canada, and have been working towards being a professional concept artist & illustrator for approximately 3 years.

C&C's are welcome. Enjoy!

Here's a link to my portfolio if you're interested: www.zachmclean.com

[Image: 6155124_orig.jpg?838]

[Image: _2086761_orig.jpg?838]

[Image: 2383451_orig.png]

[Image: _552508_orig.jpg]
The last one is really good!
I like more the second and third, the colors are nice
@Defre: Thanks a ton. That's a little bit of an older piece that I recently painted over to fix certain elements.

@1oshuart: Glad you like them. I appreciate the feedback.
Here's a finished piece of some "Savage Norse Scouts" that I worked on the past two days. Enjoy.

[Image: tumblr_mopcsjunEF1r2y795o1_1280.jpg]
Thats pretty nice. I like the way you paint, and the rought style of it. Very catchy. But if you want to work as concept artist I think you should define things more. Here is just two guys walking out frome some sort of ruin. Armor is just some shiny stuff, helmet reminds me of Rome armoury, and the title says they are Norse. Completly different type of equipment. In my opinion the design is very unreadable (Proper word for "hard to read"?xD). And the proportions kinda get messed.
It fits more as frame design for a movie or something. The way it is going is very good, but you definetly can pull a lot more from this.
@Typhon: Thanks! I try to incorporate that rough style to a lot of my stuff, but I know, for concepts I would need to define things more. I just enjoy doing those rough paintings to continually learn composition/lighting/color, without spending hours on end rendering. As for the design- Ya.. maybe it's not Norse. I just randomly made it up. Stupid

Here's a Vehicle Concept.

[Image: mech_vehicle01.jpg]

JasonClarkDesign22

16 and you can paint like this, dude just keep at it you will be a concept artist before you are twenty. No crit at all just keep at dude. composition colour it is all ther. great work.
(07-05-2013, 12:36 AM)JasonClarkDesign22 Wrote: [ -> ]16 and you can paint like this, dude just keep at it you will be a concept artist before you are twenty. No crit at all just keep at dude. composition colour it is all ther. great work.

Jason, I appreciate the response. Thanks, for the encouragement and there's nothing that's going to stop me from my dream!
I'm currently looking for art schools that offer scholarships and/or internships as well, which could enhance me as an artist!
This is a personal piece for a project I am starting in the summer- I'm going to put the project up on "summer pitch" soon! Hopefully the blacks aren't too dark on my pieces, because my monitor is like over 10 years old and seems messed up. There is a process to this piece on my blog or cghub: www.zacharymclean.blogspot.com OR www.zacharymclean.cghub.com

[Image: g-06.jpg]
Nice to see a fellow young artist here :)

You got some really badass perspective drawings in your portfolio, do you watch Scott Robertson at all? I can sort of see some influence from him a little, or maybe its just coincidence

anyways keep up the good work !
(07-14-2013, 09:59 AM)Beardley Wrote: [ -> ]Nice to see a fellow young artist here :)

You got some really badass perspective drawings in your portfolio, do you watch Scott Robertson at all? I can sort of see some influence from him a little, or maybe its just coincidence

anyways keep up the good work !

@Beardley: Yes that's nice to hear! Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I do watch Scott's free vid fridays and he's a pretty big inspiration, because I love all his perspective work! His videos are really helpful. I'm also a big fan of FZD, Shaddy, and CGM workshop videos. I find that Feng Zhu actually has great theory to his work, and has a great understanding of the industry and can tell you what to learn, but I find people like Shaddy and Scott actually teach me the basics of perspective, light, composition, etc. Both are supeeer beneficial and influential to my artwork! I encourage you to check out Shaddy if you don't know about him.

Mind me asking how old you are or if you're in going to art school? & I will keep it up!
(07-14-2013, 11:33 AM)Zachary McLean Wrote: [ -> ]@Beardley: Yes that's nice to hear! Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I do watch Scott's free vid fridays and he's a pretty big inspiration, because I love all his perspective work! His videos are really helpful. I'm also a big fan of FZD, Shaddy, and CGM workshop videos. I find that Feng Zhu actually has great theory to his work, and has a great understanding of the industry and can tell you what to learn, but I find people like Shaddy and Scott actually teach me the basics of perspective, light, composition, etc. Both are supeeer beneficial and influential to my artwork! I encourage you to check out Shaddy if you don't know about him.

Mind me asking how old you are or if you're in going to art school? & I will keep it up!

Not at all, Im 17 atm. Right now I'm in a fine arts program in CEGEP (cegep is between highschool and uni here in quebec, if you didn't know(most people don't)). The program is okay I guess. Pretty light on the technical side of things. I'd say at least three-quarters of the program is just dedicated to creative thinking and how well you show whatever message you were originally intending to give, if that makes sense. Its hard to explain this program to people lol.. I did get to meet a whole bunch of like-minded people at the school though which was awesome

And i actually know some of Shaddy's work, didn't know he had a youtube channel though, I'll check it out tomorrow!
@Beardley, That's cool. I am looking to go to ACAD, Art Center, or Academy of Art University after this year of high school starting in the fall. We'll see.

"Unforeseen Surprise"

[Image: 5168787.jpg?838]

"Lost in the Open Sea"

[Image: 460727_orig.jpg]
This piece didn't work out too well, but all you can do is learn from your mistakes, so I thought it was still worth posting.

"Where Did They Come From?"

[Image: 590963.jpg?838]
"Alone"

[Image: h-03-2.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_mwjkw0sRDf1r2y795o1_1280.jpg]
"Victor"

[Image: 8776576_orig.jpg?838]
"Forgotten and Found"

I am hoping to start posting on CD more consistently.

not sure if you'd consider this "finished work" but it is in my portfolio. enjoy.

[Image: 7141481_orig.jpg]
God damn man, great work and nice progression! Oh noes Ive got to catch up now! Turned 17 a little while ago and im defnitiely not at this standard yet (must. work. harder...).
Anyways nice gallery and keep it up!
(12-02-2013, 03:01 AM)Ward217 Wrote: [ -> ]God damn man, great work and nice progression! Oh noes Ive got to catch up now! Turned 17 a little while ago and im defnitiely not at this standard yet (must. work. harder...).
Anyways nice gallery and keep it up!

Thanks buddy, you can catch up. I turned 17 in November. Keep working at your art, and try to be consistently observing the world with a designer's mindset. It has really helped with my art and progression. You thinking of going to art school? What's your location?
Such rich and beautiful color in that shipwreck image, and the ironic name of the ship is a nice touch.

"Alone" is really pretty. The oranges add just enough heat to the cool image.

Also, how did you discover digital art and build such technical skill so young?
Pages: 1 2