Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Seeking Critics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Chaud

Hy guys, I'm seeking some critics in this draw that I finished recently.
Thank you.

[Image: Jace%2C%20Mind%27s%20Sensei_black_e_white_low.jpg]
Ok, it's a nice composition, but there are a few weird things. The anatomy is wonky in the hands and arms and the joints of the fingers are way too chunky. There is also the lighting. The eyes glow, but they don't really cast light and shadows on the face and the underside of the hair. And does the pendant glow? Then why does it cast a shadow? And why is there glow on top of the shadow? The armor makes his chest look empty somehow, because of the glow.
Yes I agree with all of the points said, I would add that his right arm looks a bit wonky (he doesnt appear to have a tricep group) and the thumb he holds the string in needs refinement and a nail.
The face looks good (though reduce the sharpness of the bevel running between his nose and his mouth- the little rivet is a bit too sharp), and the hair is stunning so great job there.
Great job apart from a few little niggles :D
Hey Chaude,

First off, I agree with what everyone else said on here. Though it is hard to put into words exactly what I wanted to say, so I did this paintover. I'm still trying to get used to using a tablet so I apologize if its a little sloppy, but I've attached it.

Basically I just turned up the contrast between the figure and the background, I also made that amulet glow a little bit more. I also tried to fix some of the basic anatomy issues that were in the piece, it seemed to me that you were exaggerating the anatomy of the hands a bit too much. Also, the thumb on his anatomical right hand was lacking structure, remember fingers are cylinders or rectangular prisms(whichever is easier for you to imagine) and should be thought about similarly.

In his torso, I tried to accentuate the curve of his stomach to help correct the issues of your character having a hollow chest. I also added a waist area to give the profile of the torso a little more interest, give it some rythem.

Hope this helps,

Ethan

PS: I hope the image posts OK hah

Chaud

Ok, first of all thank you so much for the critics, I helped me alot to see some things that weren't so obvious while painting. The pendant light problem, is due to me doing something very naive but I just noticed after reading the comments. The pendant wasn't supposed to glow, it was one of the last things I did, and I never revised the scene's lighting. The anatomy is just something I'm training to help my lackof knowledge in this area so I hope it will get better.

Thank you again, it helped alot. And thank you Ethan for the paintover. That right thumb is a beauty ! It took me several repainting in it to get where I did and I think you captured the pose perfectly.

Now back to drawing.