Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Fresh view for my Boreal Hunter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

JabyReART

Hi there, I am looking to this illustration but I am not sure about adding some strong focal point, saturation...apart from using a tilted angle and perspective to reinforce the composition, what would you do to reinforce the image? I will appreciate a fresh view on this.
Thank you very much in advance!
When in doubt go back to basics.

Analyse your broad value arrangement. You'll see everything is in large horizontal blocks which is why the comp is so uninteresting. You also haven't created depth in your value structure.

I redid a quick comp using value to create the depth. Also jiggled the comp to have 3 focal points with movement between them..and kept the highest contrast for the main points of focus.

[attachment=22489]

JabyReART

(05-09-2013, 08:01 PM)monkeybread Wrote: [ -> ]When in doubt go back to basics.

Analyse your broad value arrangement. You'll see everything is in large horizontal blocks which is why the comp is so uninteresting. You also haven't created depth in your value structure.

I redid a quick comp using value to create the depth. Also jiggled the comp to have 3 focal points with movement between them..and kept the highest contrast for the main points of focus.

Woow, Thank you very much Monkeybread, you made very interesting changes and add movement to my image...all elements were in the same direction damaging the image so much...sometimes its hard to kill your work because you get stuck with your first view, but somehow your view its what I was looking for.... Thanks again!
Keep drawing!
No worries. Yeah dude I will never ever start rendering without being at least 80% certain my comp is heading in the right direction. You want to allow for happy accidents of course, but getting attached to something because of how much you've rendered it is so easy to do and rarely produces good results in my experience. Had to learn that the hard way of course. :) And yeah the first idea isn't always the best for sure. For illos I would do between 4 and 8 thumbs to make sure I've iterated out all the cliches, and hope something good comes out