Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: There is something missing..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

MrFiend

Hi guys I need more of your help, there is something missing, I cannot put my finger on it... Its killing me.. Any ideas?? Anything I could do to make it better?? Thx in advance
Heya. Could you swap out that image for something a little larger in resolution? It would make critiquing a bit easier.

So, quick impressions,
you have a focal point so that's good.
You only have one focal point...so that's bad (add one or two more for interest using composition rules. Think vulture on tree...and some foreground elements)
You have perspective so that's good.
You haven't made your perspective match everything in the scene. That's bad. (Draw up a grid and make everything fit)
The house has a roof. That's good.
The roof of the house according to perspective looks like it's on a weird slant and isn't symmetrical. That's bad. (see point above)
You have some nice depth. That's good.
You have no real foreground element. That's bad. (bring in darker values in the foreground and interesting shapes to add to the comp) The roof is also drawing too much attention as the darkest value in the piece.

Other things are, tighten up some of your background forms. Not a lot, but I don't know what that stuff behind the house is...clouds? large tentacled octopus ghosts? mist?
This piece is dead. It has no life. Add some movement...add a figure...add some wind and leaves...add a pool of blood....add stuff that dresses the set and gives life to the image...otherwise it's just an empty house in an empty world
Hope that helps

MrFiend

Thanks for the advice buddy, I will post a higher res image once I have done changes that you have mentioned. Thanks again :)