Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Wizard!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, this is a piece I've been working on for a while. I'm not sure what I'm doing with it. Every time I come back to it I change a bunch of stuff, and never push it foreword. I'd appreciate any suggestions on it.
Hey Dtron,

I think the reason that you keep shifting things around is that your composition was kind of odd, nothing fell on any of the 3rds of the piece. So I extended the canvas to put the wizard on a 3rd that didn't look awkward.

I also put a little more light on his chest since his hands are a little out in front of him. I also added some light to the underside of his brow, inside the eye socket and under his nose, because the light is coming from below his face. I changed the way that the fabric falls to be a little more realistic, but still nowhere close to perfect. You should get some reference and really just go to town, you don't need exact reference but like a girls skirt below a belt, and find some under lit faces. And just keep in mind the planes of the figure. Getting reference for fire, smoke or just how other artists that you like have handled the magic effects that you have going in the wizard's hands would make this piece a lot more successful.

But generally I would work with the composition. I am admittedly very weak in that department so I can't offer much specific help in that department past what I've already done. but I hope this helps.

-Ethan
Awesome. I like the feel of that. I defiantly need to find more references. Thanks Ethan.