Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Weekly Visual Library Building - 2: Feline Anatomy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Visual Library Building 2: Feline Animals

As a change from Architecture, I have decided to delve into the animal kingdom and focus on the felidae family. That includes the big cat kind (Panthers, Lions, Leopards, Jaguars) Smaller felines (house cats, Sylvester, lynx's) and the grumpy kind (No.)

I did canines a few weeks back (you can check in the first post to see my failed attempt) but that's the sort of thing I think will be most helpful.

A good place as always to start is the wikipedia page. From there you can find an unusual species or just a general wealth of information.

Don't bother searching wikipedia for felidae anatomy.. Just comes up with a category with several different type of feline penis' and one cat anatomy page.. Why you would need seperate pages for different cat genitalia is beyond me. GG internet.. GG...

For living topics focus on:
- Anatomy and how they are similar/different to human anatomy. This will help you understand how to create your own, more realistic creatures from imagination.
- Visual Communication i.e. Dogs have their ears back when they are scared, cowed, or the hair on the back of their necks stands up when they are being aggressive. Some things may be subtle, some will be obvious.
- Colour/Patterns It's always good to have a library of natural colour schemes/ideas for patterns to suit the look you are going for. No one wants to see a menacing creature with bright pink plaid patterning...
- Movement because static drawings aren't interesting drawings, even creature concept art can look dynamic, and it really sets it apart from static art.

---

And the boring stuff I will include with every post so that new comers don't have to go searching:
- Each week I will come up with a topic, it can be anything from boots to machinery.
- Find some images to study, but don't just copy them, maybe do some technical drawings, take written notes (I'm not asking you to write an essay, just things worth noting), some specific detail and generally just get a better idea about a topic.
- I think I'm going to put a new one up each Monday (NB: My time, Sunday for the western world.)
- It's not a competition, its really just about sharing knowledge, one person may pick up an interesting detail or a keen observation than another person may have missed. Just building the number of visual cues that can be extrapolated to design something interesting and new when necessary.
- One last thing, the drawings do NOT have to be pretty finished renderings. A quick sketch of a building façade with details marked and notes will have just as much use as a beautifully rendered copy of a photograph. The point is the content and thought behind it, not how well you can render.

Looks like I'm the only one, and even I didnt do a good job this week >.> But as I said, this will keep me true to keep working, and the new one is a day late because I was too tired to keep my eyes open after work lol..

[Image: 130520-2.jpg]

[Image: 130520-3.jpg]
Sorry for being late! So much going on x_x I'll scan mine a bit later today.

Your claw studies are cool, looking quite dangerous. I think I'll have to examine my cat when I come home next time ;)
Here you go, had a lot of fun with those:

[attachment=23435]
[attachment=23436]
[attachment=23437]

And those are a bit older, but I'll add them anyway, because I think it fits the theme nicely (they are done from life):
[attachment=23438]
Yay Lyraina :D Those are great! I really like those silhouetted profiles of the differences between the cats. Need to do some of that myself.

Totally forgot a piece I did for this too.
Wow, those look really good! Great way of showing form.