Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Christopher Cant's Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I'm new here! I've followed the daggers for a long time, finally decided to (hopefully) interact with you guys. My internet has a bandwidth cap so I can't promise frequent updates, but hopefully in the future things will be a little better.

I'm going to be putting in my best effort to start earning some freelance dosh. I'm open to any and all crits and business know-how, so throw it all at me.

Here are my current WIP's, tonight I'll be sketching up some more ideas so I'll probably have a load more new WIPs to show soon.

[Image: CentaursAlt_zpsfa43f1b1.jpg]
[Image: ChaosKnights_zpsb424eef1.jpg]
[Image: DukeMandoranofSensburg_zpsca4ad596.jpg]
[Image: FiendsofBlacktop_zpse4a7c0e0.jpg]
Hey dude, welcome to the forums! I like that centaur lion man wip a lot. Hope to see more soon~
Thanks atrenr, nice to be here.

More WIPs today. I'm trying to round out a fantasy illustration portfolio for myself, so I'm exploring lots of different illustrations and once I've got a good balance of images I'll try to polish them up.

[Image: VerduntheStorm_zps84dd6e8c.jpg]

[Image: SpiritsofOestomer2_zps31290e43.jpg]

[Image: TheCenturion2_zpsee0152f9.jpg]

[Image: TheBirthofAalgamash2_zps2b6a3000.jpg]

[Image: TheThornedRoseAdventuringGroup2_zps3864f99b.jpg]

[Image: NorthernGuardian2_zps6cc40489.jpg]
Really cool stuff Christopher! I'm digging the texture in your illustrations, they look almost like really thick oil paints and that's an interesting look for digital. Nice lighting and ideas too

Are you doing a lot of thumbnails to plan out the compositions for these? That might help if you're going straight into the painting and making it up as you go. I can't really tell XD it certainly looks like you're putting a lot of thought into composition though. Great work, hope to see more!
Cheers Sam. I'm a big fan of oil paintings, but not a big fan of oil paints, hence photoshop!

I tend to do little pencil thumbnails in my sketchpad, and then when i get into photoshop I replicate the thumbnail with big splotchy brushes. I don't do alternative thumbnails though, once I have one I like then I stick with it. Something I should work on.

I do tend to jump straight into painting too, making a big mess until I see a good composition in it. That's probably my favourite way to start a painting, but again perhaps thumbnails would improve my work. Thanks for visiting :D!
Might as well post these, making a thread in the finished section too, gonna stick it in my sig

[Image: Lion_Fencer-Christopher_Cant_zps3f0b99ba.jpg]

[Image: Northern_Guardian-Christopher_Cant_zpse44e95ed.jpg]
Chris! Great work! had a look at your website portfolio. love the "Amac, Firstborn" piece and "Mars the Giant". Those two are my favorite and I think are your strongest two works. They have a nice rough oil painting look and the amount of detail is superb. Definitely keep it up and I look forward to seeing more! Also, nice compositions and lighting. Love the top light in "Amac, Fistborn."
Thanks Zachary, that's a lot of praise for one man to handle! I checked out your sketchbook a few days ago and it was awesome, I'll go back there in a sec and take another look.