Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Fallen Angel WIP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so this is a 30 minute sketch of what I'm thinking about doing as a long term piece. I realised that Ive got a lot of very sketchy stuff in my portfolio and i want to get this one done to perfection, and spend a lot of time on it over summer.
The main idea is a fallen angel (cliche...) basically i want there to be hole in the roof of the cavern where this 'shrine' is, and a female soaked by rain coming from the hole where the light also comes from sitting on her heels, crouched over looking defeated, wrapping her wings around herself for comfort. I want it a very melancholy piece, with a cool colour scheme, but I think i've messed up the cave a bit.
Anyway, let me know what you think of the composition and what I can do at this point, and I will get to work :) The colour is just a wash atm so dw about that.
Sorry if I'm spamming a bit with these WIPs, but I have a lot going on and I genuinely cant get anywhere with other things, but will have lots of time over summer to finish them off. In the meantime I'd like this as a piece i can enjoy to keep improving.
Any crit very appreciated :)
The rocks at front point to nowhere, the pillar on right distract the flow on picture. Try to made few thumbnail sketches of composition and pick the best. And keep going! :D
(06-04-2013, 08:24 PM)Madzia Wrote: [ -> ]The rocks at front point to nowhere, the pillar on right distract the flow on picture. Try to made few thumbnail sketches of composition and pick the best. And keep going! :D

Yeh the rocks really dont add anything i am definitely getting rid of them, will do something with the pillar also thanks.
Yeah i really should have done some thumbnails before I did this, will do a batch of thumbs and continue with the best (i need to get into that routine...)
I will, thanks very much :D

SpectreX

Just a thought but going on what has been said, would it be a good solution to make the rock point more towards the angel (they will lead the eye to it).
As for the pillar, make it a broken one (so completely gone except maybe a small part at to top)

I'm still a beginner, so it's more a sort of wondering 'what if he did...' :)
(06-04-2013, 09:01 PM)SpectreX Wrote: [ -> ]Just a thought but going on what has been said, would it be a good solution to make the rock point more towards the angel (they will lead the eye to it).
As for the pillar, make it a broken one (so completely gone except maybe a small part at to top)

I'm still a beginner, so it's more a sort of wondering 'what if he did...' :)

Yeh totally, i was trying to achieve that with the rocks pointing in but i didnt lean them in enough so they eye just kinda wanders you're right.
Thats a great idea thanks very much! Will defo use that. At the moment thinking about replacing the rocks with a secondary focal point on bottom right, something that leans in towards her somehow... I was thinking perhaps another figure but I want the focus to be solely on her, so im a bit stuck at what I could do. I may get rid of the pillars and make it an all natural cave, or make it into a deserted shrine in the moonlight.... hmm any ideas would be awesome, thanks for the comment, i say the exact same in all my comments but not being the best technically in no way means you cant come up with good points as you have done :D
Cheers!