Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Appy's Sketchblargh
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Appylon

I am just trying to get better and learn and experiment. Feel free to critique I am always listening.

I am currently a freelance artist but an looking into new opportunities. I spent a couple years co-developing my own indie game studio. I studied game design and art down here in Orlando Florida at an awesome school called Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy.

I will be posting some older work and then updating as frequently as possible.

Here we go...

PS let me know if I am doing the images wrong. For some reason I always have trouble when I try and start using a new forum.
Really lovely style you have! The variety of characters and moods you create is just wonderful.
Hey Appy! Your style is amazing, really love the work.

Appylon

Thanks guys. I dont' know about style but I appreciate it. I try to experiment with lots of different things but I suppose it still all ends up looking the same. I guess I should push it more.

JonShaw

Wow man this is pure talent and skill! Love the style of your game characters and environments. Your color, lighting, composition are all great. I also love the anatomy studies! I envy you hahaha
Really strong sense of design man, really cool to see. I hope you'll post more soon
Oh wow, this is an amazing sketchbook already . I really like your style and clear ,pure,bright and beautiful colors. As Vandall said- you have strong sense of design. Great job! Can't wait to see more :D Keep up with amazing work and have fun^^

Appylon

Thanks a ton guys. I have a batch of pencil and pens from my sketchbook. I'm having a hard time sitting at my computer and focusing on painting in a dark room. So doing this makes me feel a little better.

Is there anything you think would be cool to see more of? Just trying to stay busy and keep the hand moving.

Does anyone know of any good art houses? I'm trying to break into the industry and any info would be appreciated.

These are pretty rough and nasty but it feels good to do more of these kinds of things.
Nothing wrong with rough and nasty.
Excellent stuff man.
Wah? WHOA!
Holy! Awesome sketchbook man! Deeply admiring your colors right now.

Keep it up!
I hope you don't mind I've saved some images as ref/inspiration hehe <3
Awesome design.
Are some of this inspired by bastion?

Appylon

(06-08-2013, 12:20 PM)Ursula Dorada Wrote: [ -> ]Wah? WHOA!
Holy! Awesome sketchbook man! Deeply admiring your colors right now.

Keep it up!
I hope you don't mind I've saved some images as ref/inspiration hehe <3
Awesome design.
Are some of this inspired by bastion?

Haha thanks, I don't mind it's a pleasure to know it can be referenced by someone so this makes me very happy. I loved Bastion and am a huge Jen Zee fan so absolutely some of it was inspired by it (though sometimes unintentionally)

Thanks as well Markus, positive responses are like gasoline for some reason.

These sketches are kinda ugly here but I wanted to respond and thank you guys and I feel weird not having images.
awesome stuff.I appreciate the lineweight tons.Very cool environment.s I really digg everything.Keep pushing.
awesome color work! Great use of limited palette :)

Appylon

Thank Rindoukan. I think my lineweight actually needs a lot of work that takes a level of skill and patience I haven't reached yet though.

This first one here was me attempting a photomanip doing that method I saw over at CGHub a couple days ago. Not very successful but way better than my next attempt. I won't post that one, but have to love getting worse at things the second time round.

[attachment=25079]

Some quick studies and an unfinished master study (this is a different bald guy):

[attachment=25080]
[attachment=25081]
[attachment=25082]

I have a couple sketchbook pages that I can photo tomorrow.
nice work :)

Appylon

Howdy Hey, still havent photographed the sketchbook but here are a couple more studies. Some Thumbnails with a focus on value composition and focal points. Also a still thumb from Indiana Jones.

[attachment=25200]
[attachment=25201]

Appylon

Hey here sumoar.

[attachment=25258]
[attachment=25257]
You has da flow! Really diggin' your stuff! Especially the thumbnails! :)

Appylon

Thanks Art.ful going back and focusing on the basics of composition and value placements is actually helpful. One of the more helpful experiments I've done in quite a while actually - so it's refreshing.

Widescreen studies of clouds and atmosphere using a few different styles and methods.

[attachment=25330]

Appylon

Tried some pixel characters but I think my general square size was too small and I needed to focus more on simplification. Still it was a failed experiment but a pretty fun one. This shit is hard to do!

[attachment=25365]
Pages: 1 2