Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Can you critique or do paintover on it , guys?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you have something to write ....write it!))
The sci fictions is not my domain but I think you did amazing job with this pic! Overall it's great I will only write some of my ideas and thinking processes maybe you will find them helpful.
I numbered the flow how I see the picture. First thing is the holograph on right. It have hi contrast, lot of details and it's extremely sharp so it attract my attention. Also it's in power point (intersections of rule of thirds). Later I see the robot hand because it have lot of details and color contrast as well. The head is last catching thing and my eyes just goes out of the image on this point. Also at the second attempt I noticed green color lights as some distraction. Everything is so blue and orange and suddenly green with no reason. I tried different composition, moved it head a little closer to power point and blur holograph to be less important than robot, especially cuz guy who stand in front of it is not detailed at all and it was creating this detail contrast here. Just my thoughts :)

[attachment=25579]

NRAG

Awesome idea! Big robots and computer dudes! I got a bunch of stuff you can consider. Brace yourself!

First thing to do is fix the composition. If you want to push the height of something narrow the canvas. I also flipped the computer dude to the other side, it felt right, compositionaly and because he's facing the robot straight on, you know computer dude is getting it done.
[attachment=25615]

Ok things are about to get crazy. So here I started adding atmosphere to push the robot back. To further emphasize the distance I toned down the detail on the mech using the pallet knife filter. I also have begun desaturating the image, because those bright colors were too bright. I also lightly tweaked the lighting a bit using a color dodge layer and painting on the desired color I wanted brightened. Other things, I added a little control desk and that beam going across the top for composition, it helps keep the viewers eye inside the image.
[attachment=25616]

Now I'm adding more atmosphere and deciding which parts should be more saturated. In the end the most saturated parts are the coputer dude and the head of the robot. I also shifted over the computer guy to keep him in scene and added a more interesting shape to the desk. I then brought in the color dodge layer again to bring out some spots I wanted brightened. Then I darkened the computer guy and his desk.
[attachment=25618]

So in conclusion the most important things to remember are to be careful not to over saturate the image, also things that are are farther away should get less detail and not be as dark as things in the foreground. The composition still isn't quite right, you could probably watch transformers or pacific rim to get some better compositions for where to place a giant robot in perspective with a normal sized person.

Oh yes and I almost forgot, your image resolution was set at 28.346, in general I only use 3 resolution sizes depending on what the image is for. 72 dpi is the internet standard resolution, I use that anytime I post to the net. I also use 150 or 300 dpi for things I plan on printing. Resolution size isn't that big of a deal but there is a norm that people use.

Hope this helps! Keep at it!
Wowowowowow! Thank you for paintover! You are absolutely right in your critique . Sometimes I reaaly oversaturate the image. and I like the final image you did because I really can see the foreground , midground and background

Thank you for this "flow scheme" , I 've never seen it before.
Yeah, maybe this green light in background distracts the viewer. The paintover you did is really good but it is too much empty space above him( as for me)

Anyway , thank yooooou In love
I kinda think the last paintovers didn't really address a fundamental issue and that was one of composition and depth so I waded in with an entry.
[attachment=25860]

The two main focal points are the robot head and the figure/panel...I redid the canvas to plonk those smack in points created by successive divisions with the rule of thirds. I also adjusted the perspective so it was more a looking up almost 3 point persp. viewpoint to get a sense of scale going.
I added depth and separation to the important silhouettes, namely the figure, the panel, and the robot. Added a background with lighter value to pop the robot out and add more to the space. Added a bit more foreground stuff happening, some point lights and slight detail implications to solidify the head as a focal point. Also added a few pipes and in the background to add interest and drive the comp even more. I think the saturation was probably a bit much overall in your original, but I think you don't want to wash out your image too much either...so just find a place to keep that saturation to best effect. To tweak this easily I used a saturation layer over top and filled it with a moderately saturated colour. Then with a soft airbrush and a more saturated version of the same colour, went in and brushed in over the places I wanted the most saturation. The more saturated colour you brush over in that layer the more saturated the underlying colours will be. Great stuff these layer modes.

Finally did a colour balance on the entire image to bring a bit of warm into the shadows overall and create a more dynamic palette
Hope that was useful.