Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Mayenla's Sketchbook, The Long Hard Road to Mediocrity.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey there people of Crimson Daggers! I've been lurking around for a bit, looking over the awesome sketchbooks and some of the other sections of the forums (slowly browsing through everything!)

Anywho I thought I'd start up my Sketchbook! I only just started one at CA about 1-2 weeks ago, and I'd like to expand a bit into other great communities :) So I'll be posting up some stuff starting from the start of this month. Get ready for an image dump!

June - 2013

Gestures:
[attachment=25772][attachment=25773]
[attachment=25774][attachment=25775]
[attachment=25776][attachment=25777]
[attachment=25778][attachment=25779]

Anatomy:
[attachment=25780][attachment=25781]
[attachment=25782][attachment=25783]
[attachment=25784][attachment=25785]
[attachment=25786][attachment=25787]
[attachment=25788][attachment=25789]
[attachment=25790][attachment=25791]

Perspective:
[attachment=25792][attachment=25793]
[attachment=25794][attachment=25795]
[attachment=25796]

Other:
[attachment=25797]
[attachment=25798]

Current WIP:
[attachment=25799]
An anatomy study with my Inkling:
[attachment=25825]

And I recorded the playback:
Hey Maylena , welcome! Great first posts, you have alot of variety in your studies which is great! Love that you are doing a lot of gesture studies aswell, Those are great for learning effective posing!

Here is a video I foudn really helpful in regards to studying gesture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ...r_embedded

I hope it can help you as much as it helped me! Cheers and keep up the good work!
Awesome work!

Just a note with circles in perspective, they never have corners, the curve will always taper around the edge.

[Image: SWeOa.jpg]
(06-21-2013, 01:28 PM)matt_radway Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Maylena , welcome! Great first posts, you have alot of variety in your studies which is great! Love that you are doing a lot of gesture studies aswell, Those are great for learning effective posing!

Here is a video I foudn really helpful in regards to studying gesture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ...r_embedded

I hope it can help you as much as it helped me! Cheers and keep up the good work!
Awesome, what a great reference Matt, thanks!

(06-21-2013, 03:05 PM)OtherMuzz Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome work!

Just a note with circles in perspective, they never have corners, the curve will always taper around the edge.

<snip>
Cheers Muzz for the advice/clear paintover, appreciate the help, I need as much of it as I can get! :)

Todays work;

Gesture Drawings! Trying to utilise Matts reference (It's quite difficult to put into practice!):
[attachment=25861]

And a Perspective piece of the living room:
[attachment=25862]
~2hrs
Feeling a bit under the weather today, so not much progress today.

I decided to give up on my perspective piece I was working on, I wasn't really feeling it:
[attachment=25920]

Better things for tomorrow! :)

SpectreX

Great start on your SB!
Really in depth studies here and nice sense of perspective.
Keep it up!
(06-23-2013, 06:04 PM)SpectreX Wrote: [ -> ]Great start on your SB!
Really in depth studies here and nice sense of perspective.
Keep it up!
Thanks SpectreX :)

I wanted to try getting a 'finished' piece up, so I limited myself to working 2hrs on the piece, here's what I ended up with:
[attachment=25975]

The colours seem quite off to what It looked like in Photoshop, I'm not sure what happened :/
Photo Study ~2hrs
[attachment=34936]

Ugh it's hard to be motivated when I know how bad I am and how far I have to go!
Hi there! I love your perspective stuff and I already see great improvement in your gestures.
Everyone knows that feeling, just keep drawing! That's the only thing that helps, anyway :D
Thanks Elif! :)

More sketches today:

[attachment=35078]

[attachment=35077]

[attachment=35079]

About 40mins each - all photo referenced!
Spent a little more time on rendering, ~1hr total:

[attachment=35182]

Also started on another piece that I'm going to spend a good few hours on to practice:

[attachment=35183]

I'm really quite new to rendering in photoshop (trying to bring it up to a finish quality). My method so far is to block the shapes/tone, see that it's looking alright and then I'm slowly rendering piece by piece (only done the front plates on the armor there).

I'm curious if anyone has any other methods, or ways to improve/speed up the process!
Some scribles:

~1hr
[attachment=35476]

~2hrs
[attachment=35477]

I wish I could convey emotion in my pieces.
Couple of quick sketches, not focusing too much on the details:

~40mins
[attachment=35527]

~1hr
[attachment=35528]
~5hrs total, photo referenced:
[attachment=35571]
Hey man, gj with your artistic blitzkrieg.

Looking at your pose sketches I feel like you would benefit more from Loomis then looking at real life at this moment. It might a good idea to focus on proportions, I found it translated really quickly to my real life studies.

I find it funny to see that you are totally not having a hard time with perspective. Generally that's something I see artists fix later on, but that wasp you have drawn is quite killer.

:) gl
Thanks Yarrnick! Yeah you're absolutely right, I definitely need more practice on proportions/anatomy, so I've taken your advice and begun studying Loomis!

[attachment=35808]

[attachment=35809]

[attachment=35810]

I apologise for the bad pictures, I took them with my phone as I currently don't have easy access to a scanner.
Slowing working through Loomis!

[attachment=35885]

[attachment=35886]

I feel much more comfortable on the tablet than with a pen -_-
Hey Mayenla. Loomis is indeed great for figure drawing. Watch out for your horizontal proportions as well as the vertical ones though; your women are looking a little broad shouldered. Keep at it.
Thanks Ignatz! You're exactly right, I discovered that when I did the first front on female and it didn't look quite right, which was why I did it again at the end to try and fix :)

More Loomis Studies, slowly getting through the book, page by page! =)

[attachment=35994]

[attachment=35995]
Pages: 1 2 3