Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Devin's Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Hey, my name is Devin, and I don't know why I didn't join up here sooner haha. I used to sit in on a lot of Dave's old streams but never really participated too much. I started getting serious about practicing in January, I've been posting my progress at www.devinkorwin.blogspot.com. Here's a few things from the past week or two:

photo study:
[Image: rockwallstudy.jpg]

zorn study:
[Image: zornstudy.jpg]

[Image: demon3.jpg]

still life:
[Image: gnome2.jpg]

[Image: vulcan2.jpg]

[Image: puffinz.jpg]

[Image: clouds2.jpg]

[Image: bronze2.jpg]

[Image: tribe.jpg]

[Image: ugly7.jpg]

[Image: greens.jpg]

[Image: beach2-1.jpg]

Here's something I started working on today, I'm trying to force myself to work on larger compositions. I feel like I get overwhelmed with these and then I forget how to render Tongue. I should probably do a ton of thumbnails to practice. I'd love some input!

[Image: composition.jpg]
Man, I'm diggin these. My art boner just twitched a little.

I really love the stroke economy you're able to achieve as well as your edge-control and color choices. If I had to pick an area of improvement, I'd say to zero in on cleanliness of presentation or polish. Invest more in your focal points in terms of readability.

Can't wait to see more though.
Thanks so much Einver!

I totally agree about polishing the focal points, it's only something I really started paying attention to recently. I'm gonna keep working at it, thanks again man.

Here's a couple of studies from this morning:

[Image: photostudycomp.jpg]
Hell yeah dude, this stuff rocks! Just a bunch of solid work in here!
Thanks man!

Here's some stuff from the sketchbook, mostly working on head construction. I've been drawing the skull on my desk and then using the z-brush anatomy model as reference to place some of the muscles on top of my drawing from life. It's been a realllly effective exercise so far, I need to do more.

[Image: 1.jpg]

[Image: 0.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: 3.jpg]

[Image: 4.jpg]

[Image: 5.jpg]

[Image: 6.jpg]

[Image: 7.jpg]

[Image: 8.jpg]

[Image: 9.jpg]

[Image: 10.jpg]

[Image: 11.jpg]

[Image: 12.jpg]

[Image: 13.jpg]

[Image: 14.jpg]
Damn those head studies rock.
thanks muzz!

some quick value studies:
[Image: skulls.jpg]
[Image: skullstand.jpg]

this makes me laugh:
[Image: skullanatomypractice.jpg]
couple of hours into a study:
[Image: photostudy62913.jpg]
[Image: skulllighting.jpg]
Some really amazing stuff here mate, great job. Love the classic painterly feel you get here- can I ask what brushes you use? (classic amateur question but i really love your mark-making! :) )
Some pretty solid stuff here man! I like how you handle hard versus soft edges. It's very subtle.
Can't wait to see more :)
Thanks guys!

Ward, I use a few different sets, mostly Jaime Jones, Whit brachna, algenpfleger, and zedig's.

here's a study of a sculpt by Alex Oliver:

[Image: oliverstudy.jpg]
[Image: lava.jpg]
[Image: skullstudy3.jpg]
[Image: skullstudy4.jpg]
Really great stuff, just posting to say we're still watching this stuff and drooling.
Man, your brush work is sexy. I love painterly work. It's something I wish to achieve in my work. I can see this thread being very inspirational!

inkmech

Art camp buddies!! good shit yo.
holy balls.

I love everything about your sketchbook, Devin

I've subscribeeeeed alsjadhkashd.
Keep up the awesomeness, far out!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15