Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Fedodika the Koala
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
roto: big thanks my dude yes i was just learning 2 point so i put in that perspective. i had this inkling it was a little more complex but i tried to simplify, which, is just an excuse really. I appreciate the writeup, ill keep doing a couple of these as the days go by to apply at least some of what im learning, though its tough to work it all in at once so itll be bumpy and take a while so i appreciate any writeups

Leo ki :p

worked on this one a few hours today, tried to stay loyal to the initial VP and CV i layed down its just hard cuz my workflow is built to adjust and tweak things a lot

Also this dude has created a lovely reference archive of fine art and atelier style drawings
How To Draw - Photos
Last piece is looking quite nice, Fed. Not sure how hard you're wanting to lean on free-handing your perspective grids, but I thought I'd just pop by and say something like this plugin might be of use: https://gumroad.com/l/MESl
:)
Oh my! You picked a hell of a perspective study, lol. In your version I have the impression that the house is sinking backwards but it's hard to pinpoint why exactly.
In my previous post I mentioned the door roof to the right but I meant the other right, the left, doh. I edited my message.
Chubbycat: Many thanks! unfortunately i use corel painter 12 so it is not compatible, but i do have sketchup if i get in a pickle and need to cheat ;)

Leo Ki: thanks, these are gonna be rough while im figuring it out, gonna inevitably make some booboos for the greater good :)

took a break from the lectures today and just did another study, 3 point again, lotsa fun, the middle bar gets bigger as it comes down from the rooms, which i found tricky, i adjusted some of the distortion, but i probably did it wrong, i just tried to line it up with the VP from what i could detect. The more i do these the things jump out at me so that must be the trick to getting it in my head is just doing more practices
I think you should so some angle measure eye balling practice basically but before that you should do this this exercise it goes like this you pick an angle 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 and you create something like this image without a protractor angle and once you are done estimating each degre of 10 you check and see how of you are doing using the protractor angle .You repeat the exercise until you can estimate angle with an accuracy of 2 degree difference.Once your done you go open up a magazine of some kind or a journal and you find angle and you right down what you estimate the angle inside those image to be this will practice your eye to be more aware of angle use the protractor angle once your done with writing done your estimation and see how off you are.Right now it seem your not confortable estimating angle you tend to push them to be more than they are meaning you tend to put them more vertical or horizontal than they are really.

I made a quick lay over with the original to compare.The cercle&ellipse is to represent the organic form.It a really quick lay over.I think you should mainly focus on getting the outside angle of your form accurate because there the pillar(angle) of the rest of your inside form.One other big trick would be to do the basically outline of the object first and to compare the form against the negative space angle and adjust the angle of your form if need be.
(10-25-2019, 01:08 PM)Fedodika Wrote: [ -> ]Chubbycat: Many thanks! unfortunately i use corel painter 12 so it is not compatible, but i do have sketchup if i get in a pickle and need to cheat ;)

Leo Ki: thanks, these are gonna be rough while im figuring it out, gonna inevitably make some booboos for the greater good :)

took a break from the lectures today and just did another study, 3 point again, lotsa fun, the middle bar gets bigger as it comes down from the rooms, which i found tricky, i adjusted some of the distortion, but i probably did it wrong, i just tried to line it up with the VP from what i could detect. The more i do these the things jump out at me so that must be the trick to getting it in my head is just doing more practices

Hmm, maybe I'm getting this wrong but you are still trying to do 2PP from an image with 3PP? I would say if you do so, change the direction of view or position where you are standing. Think that 1pp,2pp, etc.. are just examples to teach you about perspective, if you use only 2 vanishing points for the sides but none for verticals, it will only look alright from far away (depending on your size and the size of the thing you are looking at). Anyhow, you are pushing it and it's gonna look odd, you know how looking at boxes that aren't centered on a 1pp looks odd? Sort of like that. Is well explained on the reasoning behind why that happens, buried on that link I sent you the other day. Honestly perspective is pretty straight forward, more so if you are copying something, just identify your horizon and vanishing points and recreate those. If you are constructing perspective views from zero it takes a bit more work (measuring a few angles and distances) but you don't need to be that anal for sketching ha, unless you want a really tight grid to draw stuff on and that you can reuse, like Scott Roberson does. Nonetheless, I'm still struggling to get where you are having the issues with your approach. Like are you trying to do a 1 to 1 copy from the image?
I wouldn't practice perspective like so (mainly because as Darktiste points you can do flat measurements of the image you want to copy)and while you can... I think the point of learning perspective is that you construct something. You have done 3D right? So like that, is like constructing a scene and modeling, but just from that fixed view. So I would say, instead of trying to copy an image, try to build a box and split it, then add the details of the image you like. Build stuff! Use your vanishing points and grid to assist you. I hope that makes sense.
I always wanted to see more of your stuff so this active thread is a goldmine.
I thought it might of been Erik's videos! I started working through them myself ages ago and I remmeber loving them since they were chock full of information but I never kept up with them.

Might just have to spend a week sometime soon and power through them all as you said, keep a notebook and refer back to the videos if I get stuck on anything. :)
Darkiste: thx

Roto: thats a great point, and im gonna try to come up with some stuff and just construct things instead of copying these buildings since i do have 3d programs and can just build up scenes and then summon up the knowledge if needed. Alot of perspective is intuitive if you draw a lot, its good to have the formal knowledge so we'll see where it goes, thanks for the writeup!

Marco: reeeee

Peter: his stuffs really informative, take tons of notes and... well if you cant take the whole thing at once just take a break, thats what im doing!

So taking a break from the lectures, i got up to 7/21 it has been very taxing mentally, so im taking a break and getting back to normal drawing. Ir'd be hard to put into words what i learned from them since most of it was formalizing stuff id discovered intuitively from lots of drawing practice. Also did a plane from imagination, using sketchup to buildup the basic forms and drawing over it. may do some figure stuff tomorrow, who knows anything to get away from the lectures :D

Figures and faces are rusty af, gotta catch back up
First time I see Sketchup since highschool 5 years ago, that takes me back.

Very inspiring how your idea of relaxing is filling a dozen pages, that bottom middle plane gives me Metal Slug vibes.
Marco: it was a scott robertson style plane but the metal slug is cool, retro and stuff

drew some bebz in perspective to do a little experiment, just more sketches, I have an idea for a portfolio piece but im scared to death id fuck it up... I should probably just do it and get it out in the open, so i may start giving that a shot tomrorrow instead of just fiddling about, so we'll see
Give fear the middle finger and do the piece ;) The great thing with drawing is that if you fuck it up, you can just start again
Damn nice sketch. Feeling the perspective and the forms here, solid.

[Image: PDLYlar.png]
Doesn't hurt to try, if anything you can redo it later.
Chubbycat: I will!

Bluehabit: so glad you enjoyed it bro! even taking the time to meme it up, very kind of you!

Marco: true, the power of digital

Spent a lot of time blocking this out in daz, not just sloppin around lots of lasso tools and photo bashing. Gonna do a lot of studies and introspection on this piece. Its a piece of singer, ionna lee, sharing an intimate moment with winona ryder from the 80s. This is an impossible image, but its an odd fantasy of minei have a clear image of it in my head and this stuff is basically placeholders while i figure out a lot of the proportions and texturing/distance and composition etc. So expect more progress from here on it, and i can for once comfortably say the subject matter of this painting feels truly authentic for me, and i dont feel as if im trying to impress anyone who fits in a market i dont feel much passion for.
So i struggled a lot on this piece today, and i dont think im mature enough to make it to the end; Im gonna take the next few months and laser focus on figure drawing, portraiture and oilpainting; A lot of this conceptual stuff isnt as appealing to me as it once was and i feel this calling out so to speak to just draw beautiful figures. pretty much all my inspirational photos are just figure drawings or photos of beautiful women, so, im gonna try it out for a while and see what happens. Im shelving this piece for some time, i still like the idea a lot, however i dont feel ready. Maybe when i have some 3d chops i can build and light it perfectly and make it just the right way. So expect lots of figures in the coming days, and lots of portraits and oil painting practice. If i just draw what im interested in, i think i can have more output and progress, so we'll see!
had a blast just drawing shit i like, figures
1. How long do these figure drawings take you? 10 minutes?

2. Where do you keep all those papers?
Hello Fedodika! I really like your figure drawings! I've been trying to work on my figure drawing lately and wondering if you have any tips for getting better at proportions.
Marco: most you see are quick, probably 5-10 minutes. some of the heavily shaded and mapped ones are 30+ minutes to an hour, or like that portrait, that was 2 hours. and they go on a pile with the other old drawings ;)

drifter: hope the advice in your sb helps :) best advice i can give is just copy good artists drawings like jeff watts or any academic hot shot, oh and get on NMA, watts atelier, or proko premium online

life drawing, trying to draw heads less small