Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Fedodika the Koala
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tygerson: muchos gracias my man, maybe my entire career will be side gigs of dog portraits and street caricature; Who knows! 

New dog thing, his name is Wrigley and he passed away last december from old age... gonna finish it up tomorrow. Gotta keep the face studies up because i wanna get dat portraiture down. I plan on revisiting Winona soon, but my very first attempt with pencil. Very excited! I also find drawing smaller forces me to think more of proportions, then when i go big like on this newsprint it feels effortless and fun with the larger room to draw. 

I draw so differently now, every stroke on the newsprint is calculated. I put a mark down, step back think, go over that line, another line, simple C curves and straights. Much prefer this to whatever the hell i was doing years ago lol, but definitely had to work into it.
Then you can draw people WITH their dogs!

Seriously, though, there's got to be something awesomely meaningful about drawing someone who is beloved by the client.
Tygerson: Thanks my man :)

So the lady ended up not liking my second picture, so im just going to give it to her for free. She said it doesnt resemble the dog well enough, and i can understand that for sure. Also some scratchy attempts at some riley heads, maybe need to have a day where i do lots of these to get my hand used to laying in the lines right, should be worth the effort ;)
alrightey so, made quite a bit of money in town yesterday and stayed out a whole 12 hours doing caricature, so i was pretty tired when i got back home and even more tired throughout most of today, but i am quickly gettin my vitality back! 

I tried this Jeff Watts exercise with the female statue thing, and was really not satisfied with the initial line drawing, so i redid it and eventually shaded the one i did second. I need to like, hone my reckless nature, im willing to draw something wrong the first time, then i can adjust what i did wrong and redraw it more accurately. Maybe if i have a small thing where i draw out the proportions in a thumbnail to see where I place the lines so i can visualize it right there on the paper would help. I've tried that doing figure drawings and it seems to help. 

The (memorized/simple) asaro heads are pretty tough to draw since they may resemble a head but are different in meaningful ways. Everything is flattened or curved to the extreme so it throws me off but that's only because i have weak observation skills. I just look at it on my desk everyday and i really scratch my head like "So if i take the eyes out that's the proportions?" 

The nose seems so short without eyes. I've never done a drawing from life of it that was satisfactory to me, i always struggle with how the head turns and goes from flat to round, its confusing visually. The neck is also hard to draw because the natural angle it sits at seems skewed but is perfectly centered. That and the shadow from the little line from the neck is immersed in the same plane behind it, and the neck isnt completely round. But one day I'll get it right, and it'll look awesome!
alright so gettin through this watts exercise today; Gonna watch a new lesson from watts tomorrow if the site is up and working again and do as my mentor suggested and devote a 6 hour study to a classic asaro head. I'll do it on newsprint so im more dilligent with the lines and placement since i just behave differently with more expensive paper, even though newsprint is "cheap" 

I need to just embrace it and use it, since im making decent money downtown and not be afraid to go through it. I mean i have like 5 years worth of copy paper, but its just not the same, the tooth of the paper reacts so differently with the pencil. 

This one took about 2 hrs, but there are some issues with the cranium size and the neck i believe. Was fun to do though, and i'm getting a good feel for the process, always more to look forward to!
alright, i think i did 5 hours on the asaro head, maybe half drawing and half rendering. Was pretty fun, and I struggled most with the base of the thing the most surprisingly. Getting that circle just right was a pain lol, and it still looks kinda wrong owell

Also did this hogarthe study in about 1 hr, was super satisfying to lay in the head with the methods i have learned and felt pretty effortless and i'd say its pretty dang close aside from some line weight/shading inconsistenies that I'll iron out with time. Then did it from memory and coming back to the ref lots of stuff jumped out. I angled the jaw too much, the jaw is more an organic smooth angle to the back of the skull. The cranium, at least how hogarthe indicated it, is more a perfect circle than what im used to with a skull. 

Some kinda bad skull foolery in there, didnt spend long on these and it shows. I wanna do a longer study of my skull soon, should be fun if i take my time!
alrightey, redid this doggo all day, hopefully the client likes it, he had a lot of personality in his old face i didnt get the first time.
SKEEEEWWWWWW
the last one looks really cool! like the mouth part!
Grego: Thanks my dude!

Life drawing... rough stuff!
The skew never ends!
sooo i tried to do some imagination pieces today for fun and i actually enjoyed sketching them! They keep turning out stylized, which is fine i mean, hopefully i'll be able to find a good meeting ground for my imagination stuff and realism, always worth it getting in that last extra sketch before bed. 

The jeff watts phase 3 has soooo many vids, im gonna have to do one a day for like a month to get through all of it, but it'll be so worth it! I have another drawing i forgot to photograph, but it was basically the referenced old man head, from the tilt. The one i posted was from memory and i drew the eyes waaaay to big and close together
Zweet zweet that you are doing stuff from head <3 i really like those last digital faces. But look at the nose of the traditional lady its a bit too long
Noodle: lol u kicked my butt without even trying ;p what i get for never drawing asians!

Not much today...

20 minutes into Netflix and Kill and she gives you this look
ordered a few little plate books of rubens, sargent, and some other dude i cant even remember lol; got the rubens thing, its really cool, they were pretty cheap too; urrrgh tired lol. im definitely digging this quality over quantity approach; you know, do a big drawing, pay attention to mark making, take my time, I feel like im learning better that way. I wonder if that would have helped earlier on, im not sure mileage is a shifting thing for people at different points
Ill be real with yall, doing 8 of these loomis heads today killled me, i struggled way too much with eye placement and i really really need to get that nailed down. I need to find a process that is reliable for getting them aligned, and grounded in structure. I tried a couple things, like ghosting in the lines for a socket, which i saw Jeff do and that kinda works, then gently lay in the shadow shape to make a convincing indication. Its just tough because they can end up crossed or skewed and oh boy, so cringe!

But super important!
wheew life drawing was short today but fun had a big break through; I drew a whole pose just not paying attention to the connection points. I was just fuck, and you can see it on the second one here her head was rested on her knee and i just got that totally wrong. so i redrew the thing in a small thumbnail. Also drawing this asaro head nearly killed me, its like someone beating you over the head with the proportions and planes, its amazing. gotta do that more for sure!
Hey Fedodika :) Great to see the mix of studying something and then applying it to your imagination work, that's definitely something I always forget to do haha.

I didn't realize that you were working through the Watts Online program, I definitely need to revisit it.
Peter: Thanks my dude :) Repetition is key, specially for where i see you're at. Gotta do some hundreds of lay ins and get those proportions ingrained and neglect tone for now. das what i think at least

So was wore out yesterday to post anything, so here's 3 lessons worth of quick sketch the "five minute" timed poses from Watts. The proportions aint the best, but im more trying to get the tilting and curving of the pencil to work in my favor and it is quite interesting. What's cool is all those shitty things i did years ago, like the weird faces and stuff have subtle hints on my hand movements that help a lot. im trying to get these done methodically, and i had to play catch up today  a bit, so 2 more videos to get caught up i think..
I love seeing people do shadow patterns like this - good stuff Fedo!

You already said about some of the proportions being off so I won't labour the point - but I think you could use some more practice on viewing faces from below.

Keep at it dude!