Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Fedodika the Koala
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nice painting of the chick sorceress with purple hair. The edge are really well handled and the lighting on her tight describe form well. the hand expressivity is really nice, did you have a reference for it?
Gliger: thats actually a really clutch observation, i would have never noticed that lol, now i see the subtle flatness of it so thanks :)

Beau: Thanks! im gonna get to a new piece maybe at the beginning of next month, im loving doing these longer figure studies right now, they help in many little ways, edge control, anatomy design and shapes, all that stuff is useful in building nice stuff from imagination and making it charming. Those itty bitty inches and curves in a human body or face can make or break an image

Baldgate: Thanks my man! uuh, a lot of it is thrown in with imagination, then i used reference and a dozen and a half critiques to improve it, if you go to the previous page you can see it develop. I used a program called anatomy360 for the hand on the left side of the page, it was a male hand so i had to paint it to look female. The other hand isnt referenced i dont believe, however the cloak, body suit, shoes, buildings, hair, and broken glass used some cues from reference. She is Raven from Teen Titans btw

Found a great page on conceptart from erik gist, lots of great old drawings from him to study,

Art: E.M. Gist life drawing/ Updated 9/20/10 post 196

Not like its obscure, just google his name and its at the top. Struggled at life drawing yesterday and i didnt have anything i wanted to upload, i struggled hard with a profile drawing and arranging values, i really need to study profile stuff more, i fucking suck ass at it, its weird alot of people say profiles the easiest, for me its the hardest!

Did some feet, and a copy of this drawing on pinterest, im not sure who the artist is, but i always loved this drawing and really wanted to study its beautiful anatomy and shading. Im iffy on my placement of some leg things but a layman may not notice, like the tibea's placement into the patella, and the gastrocnemius poking out the side etc. Ill look at it tomorrow ;) and leave it to ol fedo to totally not fit the foot on the page!
Okay :)

I think you nailed the bony look on the ribcage and the legs and the general perspective. Its adds a lot of dynamism to the figure.

For the foot on the profile, I think the heel is larger on the back part. It like a curve that start at the achilles tendons and end up at the bottom of the foot. I see it as a rounded triangles at the back of a faunt foot lol. The feet may be longer too.
Study feet only to crop the feet out of the study of the lady, naughty naughty ;)

Haha anyways, nice studies Fed. Props to you for actually studying feet - it's a subject a lot of people seem to ignore.

It's really hard to tell without seeing the ref of the lady, but something about the leg on our right feels a bit off. It's mainly in the shading of the long straight line which I guess represents her shin bone? If it's a plan change indicating bone, shouldn't it travel to the inner of the knee and not the outer. Otherwise it looks like the knee protrudes past the tibia. With the shading in the knees, I think it may be a case where less is more as well.
Baldgate: the foot in profile in the original looks odd at close examination, i just copied it, but yea youre right he heel is too small, thanks for payin a visit ;)

Chubbycat: It wasnt my intention to skip the foot :O i erased that leg so many times to try and fit it but it just wouldnt :/ Yea the leg is wrong because i drew the tibea off center with the shadow where itd insert into the patella and epicondyles, it should be a little over to the right. Heres the reference so you can see how it was done right. i drew the shadow off to the left, so it looks whacky, didnt really feel like fixing it today, now i certainly know and wont make that mistake any time soon since its all ill remember when i go to draw the knee joint lol,

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OI2b8c1LIvw/U5.../photo.jpg

Im feelin some line drawings and memory stuff tomorrow. today was 5 minute poses, a 20 minute lay in, and a 2 hr jeff watts study from his insta. After the memory drawings ill attempt a few imagination poses on the computer for fun
Aside from the leg part you're pretty close to the ref Fed. The only other suggestion would have been to push the compression on the left side of her torso to accentuate how stretched out the right side is. But can always keep that in mind for the next pieces you do :)
Chubbycat: thx m8 well get to another soon <3

so finally on 200/300 of masters of anatomy. took gligers advice wrapping the forms, really makes me think differently about forms and making sure im considering the anatomy for what it is as opposed to just what line it would make.

Drew some harley quinns from imagination, the pose i think is cool but it doesnt quite have the life of the faces i came up with, i even surprised myself with them how nice and whacky they look. Thats what i had been going for drawing goofy faces was character, with fundamentals it really pushes it through. 

will be babysitting tomorrow, but if i get to draw i wanna keep exploring poses and try to get that life into my imagination poses, i just need to do it more!
whew clocked in hard on this one today, may add beast boy so it feels complete. Just 2 characters has that weird feeling of being imbalanced. eh didnt think id paint all of em but i finished cyborg and said why not. ill do starfire too on her own. if i have 3 i can have a more abstract background and get away with it better. yea, should be fun and a great challenge so im lookin forward to it!
life drawin tomorrow, tanked in about 8 more hrs on this, trying to do like lay in style shadow mapping, its fun all the stuff i was trying Im trying to make them equally look cool but i think beast boy will be the coolest, totally by accident. feels a lot more balanced now, ill probably be cleaning the lines up even more tomorrow so well see
Awesome, more titans stuff :)

The thing that's really sticking out right now is Cyborgs leg (his left, our right). It's looking a lot smaller than his other one. Just need to do more foreshortening on it and make sure the counter lines of his (idk what to call it..) thigh high boots fit in with the perspective

Another thing to think about is continuity. Looking at Robins cape, it shows he's jumping down... but Cyborg is jumping up to the left, and BB is jumping straight ahead. BB and Cyborg feel like they go together. But Robins just doing his own thing on the side. Just something to think about ;)

Anyway, hope that helps!
chub: that was a great point, so i completely redid the pose and it feels really uniform now, keepin on truckin with it thanks for the writeup, i think its got potential now but i was doubtful earlier
I feel like you could save yourself sometime with a few thumbnail before you settle on a version you like.From what i seen in this sketchbook as far as i can remember composition isn't something you been studying alot stop me if i am wrong.

Nothing bad about refreshing your memory to.
https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library

You could watch some of the video in section 4) Composition Basics
Darkiste: I have studied a little about composition...

I took robert watts course on watts atelier and took almost 100 notes, you can read and even take those down yourself here.

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/printthr...65&page=79

I took all glen vilppu's courses on classical composition on NMA, all of Bill Perkins on NMA, done hundreds of tracover/thumbnail studies on master works to identify shapes, themes and patterns of composition, read most of greg manchess (and other artists on that site) articles on muddy colors, read a classical approach to oil painting by soloman j soloman, read and own Creative Illustration, been a long time fan of paul richards babe lab which is heavy on scene development and design, as well as written up pleeenty of critiques on composition on people on this very forum as well as even helping photographers and amateur filmakers develop a better eye for framing shots IRL via my knowledge composition!

Anyways i spent many hours cleaning it up and im kinda wrestling around with different ways to get the characters to come forward on the canvas. im more than open to any suggestions or crits on anything if anny little thing looks off ill fix it. im iffy about robins face but strangely a few ppl i showed it to noted he was attractive so i guess its okay, but i may end up using 3d to enhance it. 

The values feel kinda samey in the mid tones so i may make the background darker, idk i work so differently now, i like tile every brush stroke, i plan things out with lighting, just complete opposite of how i worked a year ago even.
For me, the main issue right now is composition and going back to the idea of everything being relative. The composition feels off because everyone is different sizes. Cyborg, the biggest of them all, is smaller than Robin. BB is also at an awkward position where he's no quite in the middle of the composition, but he's close enough that it ends up looking off.

Below in the spoiler tag I did a quick idea for a comp for it, mainly to show how the piece would benefit from everyone being relative in size from one and other. Sorry, it's super ugly and looks like a dogs breakfast lmao, but hopefully it'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I'm really no expert in composition, so take it with a grain of salt :P

I agree that the values feel samey. Just keep pushing it and making sure the values of the characters stand out from the background :)

I think if you want to nail the comic style you will have to go with more saturate color with no blending just flat color and cross hatching maybe it just a stylitic choose up to you.I also did like chubby did and tried to crop and move the character so that they fall in what is call the point of interest.I also play with the background to separate the character from the background a little more and changed the skintone of mister cyborg to but more toward a color that i find is appropirate.I also tried to fill a void that was in the bottom left corner and tried to renforce the space theme.The problem i think is that my planet end up being to big and compete with the rest it also in a other style that clash with your style.
darkiste/chub; many thanks for the writeups but unfortunately i dont think i am feeling this piece. It just doesnt fit the vibe of how i envision my portfolio, a little too fun, i want it more dark and mysterious, maybe some humor within that vibe. despite all that it was a great benchmark for me and i loved seeing how i could draw  cool dynamic poses well, and just inspired me to learn them more! ill leave what i did try though, itll just be unfinished

I was crankin out these from masters of anatomy, im on page 217/300 now, i wanna finish it by the end of the month. Then i wanna go back and redo watts quick sketch workbooks for figure and head. doing these currently is giving me a cool kind of whip to how i make lines, muscle memory, and giving me a great visual library. i wanna attempt some tomorrow purely from imagination on paper since i only really do memory ones on paper, i wanna try to do a nice one invented on paper with pen so super challenging..

These were an assload of work, about 9 hrs, each one takes at least 8-20 minutes depending on how much i struggle with proportions. im gettin faster though, and more accurate, and a more accute 3d model of the human body in my head, not so much portraits but def the figure.
For me the secret to dark and mysterious vibe is lighting and fog and a good camera angle.Every element should renforce the theme.Strong silouhette is key in this kind of piece in my opinion.
so, whole buncha stuff, i tried another cyborg sketch, i like some parts of it but it feels kinda imbalanced. I was thinking like a really close crop of certain elements could work but i might keep skething around for a pose. A few of these on paper are from imagination, a lot of this is translating really well just all the repetition, 50/50 on if therell be a post tomorrow
Alright so ive been out and about, comin back in doing some studies. on page 240/300 of masters of anatomy, goin back through watts quick sketch. Tryinna make a line better here, a line better there. its comin together... 

I wanna make another conceptual piece since im having no luck finding a pose i like for cyborg, im gonna focus on a more clear visualization in my head. Ive sketched a few poses, found one closest to my vision and im gonna block it out more tomorrow, so thatll be fun :D
alriiight, gonna add the legs tomorrow to this and just keep taggin it. feel free to rek if you see any goofy shit