Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Buber's Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Buber

Hey guys, I figured I'd start my sketchbook thread with a piece I'm working on currently chipping away at during my nights.. Personally, the pieces in progress are always most interesting to me.

It's a copy from a great illustrator of times past, Jon Whitcomb. I saw his work in the archives of David Apatoff's blog (http://www.illustrationart.blogspot.com/). The pose and the color scheme blew me away and I had to paint it.
Started with a quick and dirty block in to rough in the composition. Then I took some time to do a loose but accurate-ish line drawing. Once I doodled that to a point I liked, I started with a more accurate block-in of shapes, focusing on value contrast.
Now I'm tightening my values and colors up to refine it to a similar level Mr. Whitcomb achieved.
Learning a lot with each step and having a lot of fun feeling it out.
Any questions of my process, technique, hotkeys, screen brightness, diet, etc? Feel free to ask.
Any critique? Glad to here it, just keep in mind my painting is around 25-30% complete. I'll post updates as the days go by.
Enjoy,
R. Buber :)

Buber

::Update::
Did a little more work the other day and was too tired to post my progress, then I forgot. Everything here is just about refinement. Working on the line drawing that I hide on another layer, getting my contrasts and colors more accurate, defining edges with more confidence. Just slowly and deliberately pulling everything together into a nice study. I plan on knocking out the face, then the hair, then the hands, saving the shirt for last.
[attachment=29007]