Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Darktiste Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's great you are coming up with new designs. The shading looks very flat though, I recommend studying the human head, shadows shapes and the planes of the face. I think that would help you with creating more efficient designs and believability. Bryan Lee has good tutorials as well as Andrew Loomis.
(12-19-2019, 02:30 AM)Demon Lizardman Wrote: [ -> ]It's great you are coming up with new designs. The shading looks very flat though, I recommend studying the human head, shadows shapes and the planes of the face. I think that would help you with creating more efficient designs and believability. Bryan Lee has good tutorials as well as Andrew Loomis.
This was kinda the idea to make it read as flat this time this why you have that with border around the design i even mention going for a sticker feel.I think the main reason it flat is that i don't present the subject from a 3/4 view but from a full frontal view i don't think it a matter of shading but rather the eye missing information about the x y z axis and some perspective cue .If you go back just a page back you can see i practice a gun and it totally read as 3d with no shading.I certainly feel that maybe including a mannequin head under the costume could contribute to giving it more form. Since this is not a turn around study you have all the reason point toward it being flat.

The main objective here was to practice helmet design it more aim at shape and color so form is secondary. Thx for all the idea.
Nice work on the stickers, some interesting designs there! The bit of flatness mentioned doesn't bother me in this case, as it keeps things simple which is ideal for stickers. Keep it going!
Nice work on the helmet designs buddy! They look super clean. 

One thing I personally enjoy a lot is some nice visual interest and storytelling in design. Maybe you'd like to consider adding some scribbles/graffiti or stickers to some of those helmets. 

Possible inspiration?: https://external-preview.redd.it/kDnIXJT...50dff8db6c
(01-06-2020, 05:34 AM)Zorrentos Wrote: [ -> ]Nice work on the helmet designs buddy! They look super clean. 

One thing I personally enjoy a lot is some nice visual interest and storytelling in design. Maybe you'd like to consider adding some scribbles/graffiti or stickers to some of those helmets. 

Possible inspiration?: https://external-preview.redd.it/kDnIXJT...50dff8db6c
That actually a really interesting idea to inject more personality and history behind the object.I find myself being to blend in my concept when i step back and look at my work i need to take bigger risk if i want to succeed this years.
I don't normally do this kind of ''copy paste study'' as i like to refer to this type of exercise but i felt i would challenge myself to something that you can actually critic the sh1t out of it since it not something that as any type of artistic liberty when it come to the rendering.I felt it was a good exercise to test where my accuracy render and proportion stand at at the begin of this new years.Since i don't do this often i think it took me a great deal of time to complete this but i tried to push it as far as my patience allowed me to at my current skill.I can certainly see already a leak of accuracy when it come to estimating the angle of a segment.When it come to value i think it where i am the most blind in my autocritic it easy to stick to the wrong value because it much harder to correct a value once it start to not be a flat value vs when it a degrade of value.I need to become less attach to certain stage of drawing if i want my drawing to progress even if something the correction hurt my brain by how tedious it can be.No body like to erase or start over.But if your eye is wrong your wrong and that just something you gotta learn to accept.
Nice study man, a few inaccuracies here or there but generally accurate in my humble opinion.

Being patient with yourself when correcting inaccuracies really pays off in my experience. I've often had times where I've probably re-applied the same patch of paint 4 or 5 times before I get anywhere near the right colour.

Keep it going dude!
(01-17-2020, 07:11 AM)Artloader Wrote: [ -> ]Nice study man, a few inaccuracies here or there but generally accurate in my humble opinion.

Being patient with yourself when correcting inaccuracies really pays off in my experience.  I've often had times where I've probably re-applied the same patch of paint 4 or 5 times before I get anywhere near the right colour.

Keep it going dude!
The next big step is doing study in color i got like zero idea how i can avoid muddy color so far.But just making the jump to color study will be something in itself.After all you can't learn if you don't fall sometime.I wanna embrace the idea of falling to get up and get the ball rolling. Not that i want to be deliberately falling but if it happen there something to learn for sure and i hope i can count on some of you to point me in the right direction.I feel like i am still far to protective of work i shouldn't be so precious about.It hard to keep quiet and distance yourself from your work and it also can be hard to humble yourself that you don't know it all.That some point i am willing to improve for 2020.
This week i am working on costume.

This time the hazard as chosen that it would be a manager suit.
So it seem the hazard dealt me a similar card this time i had to design a programmer outfit this time.Since i felt it was to similar to the previous costume i choose to dust out some line weight but i didn't go to crazy with it.I also though why not throw some accessory this time
Good to see you posting more art, darktiste.
I'm curious as to whether or not you're drawing a human figure before drawing the clothes? Your proportions, especially in the last one, are very long and some parts dont make sense (e.g. look at the folds that come in around the last's ones ankles. It comes in quite a fair bit, which means his ankles would be extremely tiny).
Drawing a human base - even if it's just a mannequin version - is like having a guideline that you can create your clothes over top of. You can figure out your proportions and forms with that and make sure it feels correct, before adding the icing to the cake (i.e the clothing)
Hope that helps.
(01-23-2020, 12:39 PM)chubby_cat Wrote: [ -> ]Good to see you posting more art, darktiste.
I'm curious as to whether or not you're drawing a human figure before drawing the clothes? Your proportions, especially in the last one, are very long and some parts dont make sense (e.g. look at the folds that come in around the last's ones ankles. It comes in quite a fair bit, which means his ankles would be extremely tiny).
Drawing a human base - even if it's just a mannequin version - is like having a guideline that you can create your clothes over top of. You can figure out your proportions and forms with that and make sure it feels correct, before adding the icing to the cake (i.e the clothing)
Hope that helps.
I had a mannequin but i think i compress it way to much for it to be believable i will try to be more careful next time.I also now that i look at think that it doesn't help that the head is missing it make it read as if some part can be empty and some can be full.But those are for sure some skinny jean.

I was going for a nerdy type skinny and long so it intentional but bit to extreme i can agree.
Interesting stuff - I like how your exercising your design muscles.

Did you study any references for these or just pull them straight out of your head?
(01-24-2020, 08:39 AM)Artloader Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting stuff - I like how your exercising your design muscles.

Did you study any references for these or just pull them straight out of your head?
Hard reference i am no where near the mileage to say i can draw from memory.I start with pretty blend stuff honestly i don't want the design aspect to be the focus right now.I am playing with line weight and folding  for the moment i am not aiming to creating rich and in depth concept for the few next drawing.One other thing is i want to be able to go outside my comfort zone.So i am assigning myself random job title and search for reference on google as to what those people might wears.The idea is to not design what i want to but what someone would pay me to.

The female design was suppose to be for a urban planner but i made it to be something more of a fit all corporate female suit

The other design is pretty obviously a surgeon.
I would appreciate a paint over for the anatomy on this one even if i am more focus on costume right now.One of the main issue i have are with arm and leg when there view from 3/4 or profile the delicate nature of those curve is something i still struggle with.
Been doing some more gun design and other stuff i will show later.
Here one of the 6 hand gun design the hazard as choose i would render.Here my challenge was in creating the feeling of metal on a cylinder as always it seem i have zero idea of how i wanted to light this thing up so i end up spending some time there.An other thing i wanted to try was to create a plastic-ish hand grip with a leather texture feeling.
Nothing special to say here other than i realize how hard it is to stay consistent with a texture.It almost like you need a recipe or you spend alot of time fixing your error and sometime it to ''late''.
In this one i tried to purely represent texture and form with Greyscale.Next thing i wanna do is experiment with wielding texture i also want to stop rendering so much and focus more on design because what the point of being a concept artist if i end up spending more time rendering than designing.Find the right balance is gonna be important.
Nice textures dude. How're you doing these? Using special brushes or images?