Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Trevor's Finshed Work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody, I'm late making this finshed folder but here goes nothing! Can't wait to see everyone's work! Here is one of my guys from a personal project that I'm working on thanks to the perfect pitch!
C and C is more than welcome here!

[attachment=29486]
Really great armor there! I like the rhythm of light and dark across the form.
Thank you, I was going for that distant maybe sunset type ominous light source.
So here along with the earlier post at the top is most of the stuff that I've been working on since the summer pitch started. Still roughing out a storyline. Just love mech stuff or suits I should say here, just love sci fi in general I guess! Hope you guys like it. Feel welcome to critique if you like, no since in ass patting all the time : p Here goes nothing!
[attachment=29732]
[attachment=29733]
[attachment=29734]
lol the last concept seem a little bit bizzare(why a sword when you can shoot with gun) but i like what you did with the force field shield
(08-07-2013, 01:43 AM)darktiste Wrote: [ -> ]lol the last concept seem a little bit bizzare(why a sword when you can shoot with gun) but i like what you did with the force field shield

Just tools of the trade, marines and soldiers have guns and knives, just a situational tool. Plus this gives options in action for movies or games. I have the shield and sword with the same material, collapsable, maybe electrified particles or materials that can take shape.
Here is just a random fantasy Illustration, story turned out to be a gladiator type scenario. A gladiator emerges from the gates to battle an onslaught of orc and trolls while the spectators view from a safe distance within the city confines.
Needed to do some fantasy stuff, a lot of sci fi lately!
[attachment=29780]
ok the pose really show is courage or it not appropriate did you try different posture before doing this?
Im ok with him showing courage, maybe the description was too vague or misleading. This guy is good, he's not going to lose. I think that the information provided implies this. Although I will admit that there was not a ton of planning. It was just a basic pose and a chance to render some nice metal with cool details and what not. I then added the composition and adjusted as I went, basically winging it. I had to add the orcs and battle elements because I couldn't justify him standing there like that. I really wanted to add another character to imply that this guy was royal somehow and that they were having like a royal receiving of some kind of guests or something, but I didn't want to double the time spent on this by adding more characters. I'm actually working on an orc illustration, this time I'll take the traditional route and do plenty of roughs and posing, comp and stuff.
Hey, this is my attempt at an orc. Might as well cover all the typical subject matters of the genres! IDK how I seriously have made it this long with out doing orcs and dragons! Cirts are welcome!
[attachment=30111]
Whoa. That's hella good artwork. I love the colours you have used. But there is a lot anatomical problems. Look what you did under his armlet. Like the collarbone is completly broken, and shoulder is moved very low.
But trees in the backroung are nearly flawless. Very simple, yet very organical and believeable.
Thanks for the help. I see what you mean. I think this happened when i adjusted his outward arm. I tried to use a little too extreme foreshortening and I ended up with a really long forearm compared to the back one, i saying it's foreshortening would have been wrong so. I have the original sketch in my sketchbook. I will have to make some adjustments. Thanks Typhon!
Hey Trevor! Cool work you got here :-)
I see one big thing I'd like to point out, especially in your most recent painting, and it's that you could choose diffrent moments in the action to create a lot more tension and interest! I warmly recommend you watch/listen to this old episode of Crimson Critters:

In the first image Dave and Dan critiques they explain very well what I mean, in any action scene you want to show the most dramatic and tense moment, to create as much interest as possible. I'm not gonna harp about it, they explain it way better than I could :-)

Keep up the great work!
Hey Simon! Thanks for the help man! I saw these videos before but maybe I couldn't grasp all of the material at that skill level. God Dave is good! Here is a new piece that I just finished. Not what I wanted exactly, but more action atleast. A step in the right direction I think, slowly but surely! Thanks for the help!
[attachment=30506]
Just trying to do a dragon, much better than my first one a while back around the new year or so.
[attachment=31105]
Here is a recent character I've done. Maybe could use him in a personal project. Trying to get some textures like Dave without being a douche, also he is kind of stylized as recently I have quit caring as much what style is used or if it's realistic, as long as I think it's cool then I'll be happy.
[attachment=32755]
I think you are trying too much to render everything. Give it a breath, dont paint every single fragment. Make it more loosy and sketchy. And don't try to paint like a Dave or Luvisi. They are masters and they understand what they paint, trying to get photorealistic look will slow down your learning process. They know how things look cause they have studied them thousands times. The most important in my opinion is to get free hand in painting. Your rendering is ok, but everything is very rigid.
Thanks for your help Typhon. I fully understand what you mean when trying to not paint like anyone in particular. I have fallen victom to the lasso tool and pen tool a lot, but I'm trying to release that dependance, just takes time I guess. Here are some recent characters I've been working on.

[attachment=34363]
Here are the latest two finished pieces I have done. Kind of rework two of the three people in the illustration where all three are walking towards the viewer.
[attachment=36051]
[attachment=36052]