Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: JulieJean's Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

JulieJean

Hi everyone! So, I've decided to be a bit more accountable and start a sketchbook here. Might have something to do with the fact that I've hit a drawing dry spell :(

Some recent sketches:
[attachment=30161]
[attachment=30160]
[attachment=30159]
[attachment=30158]
[attachment=30157]
[attachment=30156]
[attachment=30155]
[attachment=30154]
[attachment=30153]

I think I need to start having a bit of fun with my drawings.

And a colour study finished today. Colour is a challenge for me, this is the first study I've done so far.

[attachment=30162]
I suggest you to crop out the rings of your pages it will help us to focus on your sketches :) I can just suggest to keep drawing like you are doing, Think about 3D form and shape. don't hesitate to push your values more higher and get more contrast. for the painting studies , I like it, your color a bit off but it's great. keep fighting , you will improve certainly .

JulieJean

Hey florentK, thanks for the feedback! Will keep drawing and crop out the rings next time :)
I hope to do one colour study a week so will keep posting!

JulieJean

New colour study. ended up doing a more finished piece than intended. took ages lol but i've learned a few things and never expected it to end up so nice. not very happy with his left eye but that's that.

[attachment=30296]

JulieJean

Another colour study, makes me want to go eat a banana :)
Should really draw more!! And get started on faces...and do more figure drawing...and learn anatomy...

Sigh, one day at a time!

[attachment=30640]

JulieJean

Hey daggers! Haven't been slacking off, just mostly doing figure drawings lately the old fashioned way and haven't reached a scanner yet. Also spending a lot of time doing logos for people which I probably wont get paid for :( ah well, any experience is good right?

A WIP, got the urge to paint a mermaid, it's very rough at the moment, I feel I need more contrast. Never painted water before, should be a fun (lengthy) challenge heh

[attachment=30829]

JulieJean

Hi everyone,

Newest sketches below. Been trying to work on figure drawing by following Glen Vilppu's language of drawing dvds. I really need to work on hands (ugh) and faces!

Constructive criticism welcome :)

[attachment=30961]
[attachment=30962]
[attachment=30963]
[attachment=30964]
[attachment=30965]
[attachment=30966]
[attachment=30967]
[attachment=30968]
[attachment=30969]
[attachment=30970]
[attachment=30971]
[attachment=30972]
[attachment=30973]
[attachment=30974]

And a snail WIP

[attachment=30975]
I see your doing the ''bean'' torso's, a very useful warm up before gesture drawing.
Hope you don't mind if i link to an in depth look for this aproach. It helped me a ton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0660Fuih7qo

JulieJean

(08-22-2013, 06:39 AM)Lumens Wrote: [ -> ]I see your doing the ''bean'' torso's, a very useful warm up before gesture drawing.
Hope you don't mind if i link to an in depth look for this aproach. It helped me a ton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0660Fuih7qo

Hi Lumens! Thanks very much for the link, that was actually exactly the video I watched before attempting the bean :) Proko has been very useful!
I'm still striving to actually see where each bean starts/finishes on the figure. I guess it takes more practice to get a feel for that.
Hey Julie!
Those figures are looking great!

With colour, I think the most valuable type of study is observation studies from life. Also just by looking around trying to understand how light interacts with different materials. Question things. Have fun with it :)

I look forward to more pencil sketches!!

Keep it up! :D

JulieJean

Hi smrrfette, thanks for the encouragement! :) I've been meaning to do colour studies from life but keep opting for pictures instead. I think they scare me a bit.. Shall face it head on then! :)

JulieJean

Something I've been working on today. Trying a different, more graphic style. Happy with it, I really like the colours but could have drawn the hands better.

[attachment=31304]

JulieJean

Hi Daggers!

Coming back after a long break. I lost my job so I've been a bit depressed lately, but I went to a comic expo this weekend and got back my excitement about art!

A quick colour study from today, had so much trouble with this picture. Can't really wrap my head around where everything goes. Took about an hour and a half.

[attachment=34109]

JulieJean

Another colour study today. Also been sketching from the masters and from comics but don't have a working camera yet so can't upload.

Have a violet that shouldn't be in there.

[attachment=34254]

JulieJean

Today's colour study. Am pretty happy with it, took about 30 min.

[attachment=34342]

JulieJean

Today's warm-up, took about 45 min. Went a bit lighter in places and a bit darker in others.

[attachment=34369]

JulieJean

Another study for today, just because I'm bored :)
Pretty off with the colours I think. For some reason I have more trouble with greens and yellows.

[attachment=34382]

JulieJean

Today's quick study. Should have more red in the ground and need to go darker on most of the colours.

[attachment=34411]

JulieJean

Some recent sketches. Been trying to focus on figure drawing this past month and I think I've improved a bit. Constructive criticism welcome :)

[attachment=36412]

[attachment=36413]

[attachment=36414]

[attachment=36415]
hey , what's up ? i think you should stick to pencil for now and forget to learn painting ! by trying to learn everything at once, you'll imrpove really really slowly ! try to be specific ! Anyway, keep it up !
Pages: 1 2