Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Comic artist looking for more :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

IronOdin

Greetings Borthers and Sisters!

I've been a lurker here for a few years and have finally come out of the shadows. I found this place almost by accident. I think I had followed a link to Brad Rigney's work and the breadcrumbs eventually led here and to the Livestream channels. Pure inspiration!

This came at a time when I was having doubts about what I was doing. The livestream re-lit a fire that had been burning low for a few years. I won't bore you with all of the details, but I work as a professional comic book artist. I got my start at IDW Publishing by penciling and inking a story in Gene Simmons's House of Horrors. I've also had some inking work (Ghostbusters: The Other Side, and G.I Joe: Origins). Most of my paid comic work has been as a color artist and I currently work for Hi-Fi Design on books for DC and Early Readers books for Marvel/Disney Worldwide Publishing.

I'm at a strange point in my career where I still love comics, but I'm falling out of love for the industry and how things are run. I'm appreciative of the opportunities afforded to me, but there is more that I want to to. My current goals are to work more on my own ideas and properties, whether it's graphic novels, comics, or game art. Video games are my second passion and I dream of creating a few in my lifetime. I have a little knowledge of UI/Ux Design, but no implementation. My love is more in line with illustration than design. I love to draw and plan on dedicating more time to it this year (it's harder to do when you have a 2 1/2 year-old and wife to spend time with too Tongue)

I look forward to the continued inspiration through this forum. It makes me yearn for the old Eatpoo days, and apedogs seems to be very quiet....ahhh, the good ol' days.

Cheers to growth Brothers and Sisters!
Welcome to Crimson Daggers man :)
Hello Jon!

Wow a lurker for a few years!! I'm glad you finally decided to join in :)

I'm sure you'll find most artists at some point have doubts about what they're doing, if it's right, where they want to take it and generally all that stuff. Though if you already work as a comic book artist (professionally) I'm pretty sure you know you're stuff and you're good at what you do. Especially given some of the big names there like DC, Marvel and Disney!! WOW!!

And aww how cute a child and a wife. Seems like you have a fantastic life. But if you're not happy then I guess you need to make some changes... like setting up yourself creating your own published work be it comics, book illustrations, film or other wise. So I really do wish you all the best with that!! I look forward to watching your journey and seeing how you grow... especially if you post on here :D That would be amazing to follow you and be inspired!

Keep in touch, don't lurk in the shadows and remember have fun :)

Cya around ~mii

IronOdin

(09-07-2013, 09:29 AM)missimoinsane Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Jon!

Wow a lurker for a few years!! I'm glad you finally decided to join in :)

I'm sure you'll find most artists at some point have doubts about what they're doing, if it's right, where they want to take it and generally all that stuff. Though if you already work as a comic book artist (professionally) I'm pretty sure you know you're stuff and you're good at what you do. Especially given some of the big names there like DC, Marvel and Disney!! WOW!!

And aww how cute a child and a wife. Seems like you have a fantastic life. But if you're not happy then I guess you need to make some changes... like setting up yourself creating your own published work be it comics, book illustrations, film or other wise. So I really do wish you all the best with that!! I look forward to watching your journey and seeing how you grow... especially if you post on here :D That would be amazing to follow you and be inspired!

Keep in touch, don't lurk in the shadows and remember have fun :)

Cya around ~mii

Brad Rigney's situtation struck a chord with me since we seem to have similar situations: Daddy daycare during the day, wife is a teacher, need to work at night if I want any time for my own stuff at all, etc. I love it, but it's hard and you can't screw over family time.

A lot of my unhappiness comes from editorial. Mostly at DC. It's a joke. It's like the place is being run by children. There's just little regard for creators it seems. Ah well. It serves as fuel for the fire. Like I mentioned before I have too much I want to do. I've taken a cut in work, so I can kick it in the ass.

Any job in this industry is going to have it's share of jokers, but with my job at Hi-Fi I don't get to make any decisions. We all have to fit into the company's "house" stlye, and we never get individual credit. It's a nice steady gig, but I need to start doing my own thing or my head will esplode.

I currently have a Freddy WIP posted up here in the crits thread. It's always nice to get a fresh perspective. Once this is finished I plan on revisiting a horror story I wrote for a Kickstarter project last year that never got off the ground. THEN it's time to hit up my wife's children's book :) I've been promising her for years and this year is it!
Hey,

Well I can understand your frustrations in that case. And admiring you for wanting to aim higher and also for putting your family first. I have seen your Freddy but I'm not sure I'm 'good enough' to know where to give you pointers.. as you're the one in the industry. But good luck all the same. I really do look forward to your journey. I hope you reach your goals :) and don't let the other stuff grind you down in the meantime.

~mii