Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Martin Sketchbook. Please critique!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey there, heres some of the paintings I did these days. As most people Im here to improve and take art more seriously. Its always been a big part of my life but I had kinda forgotten about that in the last years.
Anyway, less talk, more art. Some of it looks really ugly, compared to the model but I hope to get better soon..:-)

[attachment=33146][attachment=33147][attachment=33148][attachment=33149][attachment=33150][attachment=33151][attachment=33152][attachment=33153][attachment=33154][attachment=33155][attachment=33156][attachment=33157][attachment=33158][attachment=33159]
My gf had me watching the Highlander series and that last one is kinda what I came up with today hehe.
Good day to you guys!

[attachment=33258][attachment=33259][attachment=33260]
I realize that I have to concentrate on the underlying structure of the head more. Aint no use shading somthing, thats structurally wrong...Gonna work on that more. Any suggestions would help!

[attachment=33266][attachment=33267]
Hey there, did some head studies today. I tried to focus solely on the construction of the head, Ill look into the features later.. and I made some gestures, longer about 5 Minutes each I guess.
[attachment=33335][attachment=33336][attachment=33337][attachment=33338]
some more stuff. I often just lose motivation to work on a piece at a certain level of finish. I think I should work more on stuff,...well, gonna do that later, heres some more random paintings, still working on values.
After watching some vilppu head videos I start to see faces in everyday life differently :D
cheers!
[attachment=33628][attachment=33630][attachment=33632]
Some more. Spend some more time on the girl than usual..I was fighting with the exact placement of the features mostly :-/
Hey, these studies are looking pretty good, faces and heads can be a complete pain in the ass, so don't feel too bad about having issues with them.

It's nice to see that you are starting to focus on the placement of features as well as the structure of the head. Keep working on placement and the structure, then when you get that down and feel pretty comfortable with it I would say to move on to the features themselves. So try not to concern yourself too much at this point with how well the eyes, nose, mouth, and those other things read.

The rendering on that last face in post #3 is surely an improvement, so keep hitting it, and don't forget to keep applying all these nice studies to some personal stuff. :D
Archreux: Thank you! Yes, focussing on construction is the plan. I'll keep working on it! Your last point, about applying the studies to personal stuff is really somth that I wanna push more but Im often afraid, cause my personal stuff isnt up to par with my studies :-/ But thanks, your comment motivates me to me :-)

Some more drawings. Heads on first page partially without ref to see how much Ive learned. I feel a little more confident I would say.
With the gestures Im still working on my lines.
[attachment=34006][attachment=34005][attachment=34007][attachment=34008][attachment=34009]
fun with a pencil and some value stuff, working without lines.
[attachment=34070][attachment=34069][attachment=34068]
one thing about the man on profile did you do some understructure?if not this would really help you doing more accurrate proportion.Better not jump step that are boring but are what really supporting the essence of the form
darktiste: Yes absolutely youre right. I did skip this step and it really looks it. Gonna be more careful next time! I was cocky and I got shot lol Thanks!

Heres todays stuff. Just a little more from imagination and a painting, playing with values, still learning a lot!

The guy with the coat is a character from the amazing bjorn hurri. He is a mountain of inspiration :)

Good night!
[attachment=34258][attachment=34257][attachment=34255][attachment=34256]
Looks like your hard work is starting to show it's results. I like the girl in the last post.
Keep it up!
Doublethink: Thank you! Hope to see updates in your Sb as well!

Today I focused on gesture drawing and putting more thought into my lines. Its interesting to see how far one can actually simplify the legs to long curved lines and they still read. Tomorrows gonna be more interesting stuff to show.
cheers!
[attachment=34387][attachment=34388][attachment=34389]
I can agree with you on having that certain fear, but you just got to push through it. Your newer sketchbook stuff from your head is looking good so far. When you feel up to it try spending a longer amount of time on something and really test everything you've been learning up to this point. :]
Archreux: Yer, thanks for the tip. I should and I will!

Some Lifedrawings and some from photo. I found a life drawing class and I'll go there once a week. It was really fun but brutal at the same time! Seeing a body in 3d and trying to simplify and make it readible is really hard, but fun too :D

[attachment=34899][attachment=34898][attachment=34897][attachment=34896][attachment=34895][attachment=34894][attachment=34893]
You're doing great, keep it up.
@crackedskull: Thank you^^

Except for life drawing, this was not a very good week. But oh well, Ill keep going.
I worked on this value study like forever. Didnt turn out good enough. But I learned a few things. Gotta simplify the planes and forms much more next time..
I even messe with color a bit. It was fun but turned out bad lol^^
Laterz!

[attachment=35113][attachment=35114]
2hr study from a 3d model I found on cghub. God there are great artists over there!
Gotta find some form of workflow, which I think I dnt have yet. Used a line layer first, then moved on to a 2 value stage and went on from there, focusing on edges a bit. And correcting values and hues a lot on the go. Also, becoming aware of certain planes I had never noticed before. Was kind of a chaotic process actually and it was a lot to think about..

Do you have any suggestions regarding my workflow/ how to do this?

[attachment=35311]
tried the same thing again. Not focusing on hue too much, but more on values and planes. About an hour.
[attachment=35387]
Pages: 1 2