Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: looking for suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My portfolio: www.jerryvarnadoart.com

Hey guys, I'm looking to produce stronger work and I would like your opinion.

All I want to know is what do you guys think and/or feel when you see my portfolio? Do you have any advice for me on how I could make my work appear stronger? Should I work on composition, stick to a certain aspect of art or focus on something else?

Just looking for some feedback!

Thanks guys!

PS: be as blunt as you want, I can take it. I can't learn if I don't know!

***Update 9/26/13
I took down most of the work and left only what i felt was decent, but I still face the problem of doing too many different types of artwork.

I am now trying to narrow down the choices of what I believe I should focus on and head in that direction.
ok the landscaping stuff are not at the same level as the rest but the desert one and the city one can stay i would say
not sure about the fanbase stuff going into a portfolio being a good idea
the guy in a coat could be polish
the bar scene is not portfolio quality (mess up perspective)
the man with the guitar the proportion are strange maybe it was a choose i dont know
(09-24-2013, 11:59 PM)darktiste Wrote: [ -> ]ok the landscaping stuff are not at the same level as the rest but the desert one and the city one can stay i would say
not sure about the fanbase stuff going into a portfolio being a good idea
the guy in a coat could be polish
the bar scene is not portfolio quality (mess up perspective)
the man with the guitar the proportion are strange maybe it was a choose i dont know

Thanks for your time! All critique will be taken into consideration to help improve my work.
The first thing I would say is "focus your work". Right now your portfolio is all over the place, you have a few landscapes a concept vehicle and several pieces of fan art.

Ask yourself. . .

What do you really love to paint?
Who would you love to work for?

Once you have figured out what you really love to paint and whom you would like to work for, research the company or companies and look at the quality of work that is being represented. Does your work hold up? If not what action steps can you take to increase the quality of your work and make your work more desirable to those companies.

Your portfolio will and should always be changing as you increase your skill set.

I personally am not a fan of the "jack of all traits" approach, it is easier to find your voice when you are painting what you love to paint.
(09-26-2013, 01:22 PM)Elmst Wrote: [ -> ]The first thing I would say is "focus your work". Right now your portfolio is all over the place, you have a few landscapes a concept vehicle and several pieces of fan art.

Ask yourself. . .

What do you really love to paint?
Who would you love to work for?

Once you have figured out what you really love to paint and whom you would like to work for, research the company or companies and look at the quality of work that is being represented. Does your work hold up? If not what action steps can you take to increase the quality of your work and make your work more desirable to those companies.

Your portfolio will and should always be changing as you increase your skill set.

I personally am not a fan of the "jack of all traits" approach, it is easier to find your voice when you are painting what you love to paint.

This is fantastic advice, Thank you!

I took down most of the work and left only what i felt was decent, but I still face the problem of doing too many different types of artwork.

I am now trying to narrow down the choices of what I believe I should focus on and head in that direction.