Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Old drawing to look at or not
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This post is to determine the pro and con of doing a study on your old drawing.To look at the error and maybe revamp the projet...

Pro:
1.Review progress over time
2.can point out error that are recurring in drawing we made(need awareness of flaws)
Con:
1.can be bad on the mental
2.waste of time due to lake of knowledge(can't see the flaws properly)

please help me out on the pro and con
IMO I think you should move on to the next drawing. There is not point in going back to an old drawing trying to correct it, the likely hood is that it will have flaws that make the image unsalvagable anyway. start something fresh and work to make it the best yuo can at the levcel you are and move on to thbe next one again .
Ok maybe it was not clear enought a revamp is for my point of view to look at a old drawing and make a new essay or to salvage the project if possible.(i know that at some point in just pure torture.)

To Revamp a drawing will force you to apply technique you might have forget, didn't really master yet or that you just skip intentionally or untentionally . Since it a old drawing it create by it self distance (it mean that you have a new eye on that drawing.).Because you aint focus doing it you can look at the piece in general(proportion,composition,color,silhouette,style and many other aspect).

people can practice as much as they want to get better drawing but you can spend a lot of time without think and making the same error over and over wasting time. To be aware of your own error you need to understanding what they are and where they are.Sometime you know them to well and you focus to much on those flaw and the rest of the piece become trash.Being able to loose focus on those flaw but keeping them in mind should really help to get a better piece.

So i think it important to have a solid base construction linework if you screw up or jump over it bye bye the piece will have much more flaw. So maybe a option is to draw over the piece a base contruction linework that will tell where the flaw are.

Sorry if it difficult to read i try my best
I wouldn't really paint over or "finish" a really old piece, seems counterproductive. I do however, like to completely redo an old piece. Usually its just the idea or maybe some other thing that I liked about it originally. It can be cool to compare the two and see how much progress you have made.
Rehashing a piece over and over within a short timeframe hits up against the law of diminishing returns and after a point becomes pointless. Doing it after a year..now that is pure gold in order to see how far you have come. You will learn with every bit of paint you put on canvas whether it is rehashing, redoing, original work or whatever. Just do the time
I've done a critique on my own piece after having a realization that I hadn't been applying a lot of what I knew I needed to.

But that said it's super boring to go back and redraw something that is done. Most illustrators work around a theme, some love fantasy, some love horror, some sci-fi. Just do more pieces in the same vein and apply what you have learned.