Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Crone's Sketchthread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Crone

Hey everyone,

This will be the beginning of my sketchbook here on CD. I'm currently going through Noah Bradley's Art Camp, so I will post daily updates of my work and progress!

All feedback and critiques are welcome! I would love to hear from you! :D

[Image: NoahBradleysArtCampWeek1ScottCroneCompos...ec7a3e.jpg]

[Image: NoahBradleysArtCampWeek1ScottCroneCompos...e70a0c.jpg]

[Image: NoahBradleysArtCampWeek1ScottCroneColor1...712673.jpg]

[Image: NoahBradleysArtCampWeek1ScottCroneColor8...499e8f.jpg]

Crone

Here are some more studies! I've also included the original paintings for comparison! :D

[Image: NoahBradleysArtCampWeek1ScottCroneCompos...6233b1.jpg]

[Image: NoahBradleysArtCampWeek1ScottCroneColor1...fc187d.jpg]
Hey Crone :)
Great to see so many studies. Now try to put them to use! :)
For simple value/color studies, I think you sometimes go a bit to detailed - while copying a master artwork is a great exercise as well, I personally find it more effective to stay more loose, and concentrate more on the colors and forms, instead of the rendering of a tree or figure for example. I also found it challenging to only use hard, opaque brushes - it forces you to really make a decision which color/value you want to put down.

Anyway, that's just suggestions for things to try out, you're doing great - keem 'em coming! :D

Crone

Thanks Lyraina, you're definitely right! After doing so many I do get carried away with the values and rendering. The few that I did which were simpler with only the hard round brush I remember being more of a challenge.

I'll keep your advice in mind when I do today's sketches!

Crone

Here are today's studies. I took Lyraina's advice and really tried to simplify things. I am really please with the results in the value studies!

[Image: NoahBradleysArtCampWeek1ScottCroneCompos...a12351.jpg]

[Image: NoahBradleysArtCampWeek1ScottCroneColor2...674103.jpg]
Love those new studies! :)
Yo Crone!
Great studies and a great start to your sketchy - it's going to be great watching you flourish ~
Can't wait til Noah gets you into dat work from imagination... gonna be awesome how you apply these wonderful studies!

Keep it up man c:

Crone

Here are Friday's studies! Only need to do 15 more of each before the week's end! I'm looking forward to applying what I've learned in some sketches for the next assignment!

Thanks for the encouragement In love

[Image: NoahBradleysArtCampWeek1ScottCroneColor2...f23e94.jpg]

[Image: NoahBradleysArtCampWeek1ScottCroneCompos...8055b2.jpg]

Crone

Ok, here comes a big post!

Two more sets of studies from week one of the course:

[Image: NoahBradleysArtCampWeek1ScottCroneCompos...844a58.jpg]

[Image: NoahBradleysArtCampWeek1ScottCroneColor3...c45f62.jpg]

And here is the beginning of week 2! Still more colour studies to come but also a bunch of full colour sketches from my imagination :O

All crits and tips are greatly appreciated! :D

[Image: ImaginationScottCrone1-5_zps98f9589b.jpg]

[Image: ColourStudies1-5_zps5ddfb2d8.jpg]

^ 5 Albert Beirstadt studies.. he uses a lot of colour!

Crone

5 more colour studies of paintings by Frederic Edwin Church.

[Image: ColourStudiesScottCrone6-10_zps3936a07a.jpg]

Some more full colour sketches:

[Image: ImaginationScottCrone6-10_zps79fc756c.jpg]

Crone

Here is a master study of "In the Alpine High Valley" by Carl Spitzweg! It was fun and I really love this painting!

You can see the original HERE

[Image: MasterStudyAlpineHighValley_zpsa9eee04e.jpg]