Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Crimson Sticky
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What do you guys think about ME selecting a hard working individuals sketchbook and giving it a sticky for about 10 days?

I see a ton of hard work from some people in the sketchbook area without much attention or comments. I think perhaps this could be one way for some people to get some recognition here.
I take a look through a lot of sketchbooks every once in a while, so I think I could make this work.

I would judge the sketchbook on a few points
-If you post on a regular basis
-How much recognition you're receiving currently
-How often you are pushing yourself to get better (quality over quantity)
-How much you've progressed over the sketchbooks pages

People wouldn't really know what date or time I would pick to sticky a sketchbook, but it would be around every 10 days after I've selected someone.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions. If it happens no one likes the idea, I won't run it.

CURRENT COMPILED LIST (in no particular order)
Here's a list of the sketchbooks I've currently went all the way through, which I'll keep updated(10/27/13):
Eraiasu, monkeybread, UrsulaDorada, JordyLakiere, kerm, TylerDonnelly, Jared2365, EduardoGaray, Budgie, JakeB, Lionsketch, Jamesxwu, BenFlores, chromaTinker, Samszym, Elaeis, nufftalon, Madzia, warmics, Rognoll, Laura_H, crackedskull, rob_powell, nphill19, MW-Art, Nika, gdsworld, s-mrr, ReneAigner, MrFrenik, Elif, darktiste, Adzerak, alex_bo, kidult, Warburton, Matthias Kinnigkeit, dirksteele, marjoriedavis, pnate, Nikt, Ignatz, Lyraina, Mr. Toodles, redidge, Archreux, mat04art, Blewzen, Othrandir, Wingal, Wolkenfels, Jonesoda

This is the grading category I set up for each sketchbook:
Name:
Quality: 0-5
Quantity: 0-5
Pages:
Posting Consistency: 0-5
Progression: 0-5
Recognition: 0-5
Overall Score:
Sketchbook Link:

I judge these based on each persons skill level on their first page and see how much progress they've made. (Doesn't matter if you're a professional or a beginner)

I'll keep checking sketchbooks, reevaluating, and updating this as I go until I feel I'm ready to select someone.
I'd love this actually, I think it might push some more people to post a little more in their sketchbooks :)
i like this idea too, it would be good to encourage people to stay and keep their sketchbooks updated. And to work hard and improve of course!
Also, its always good to see someone else progress through time, specially if you are a complete beginner and have a lot of doubts, you will think "yeah, its possible, i can do it"
I think it's a good motivating factor for a lot of people. I tend to be sliiiiiightly against things like a thumbnail roll in the header but temporary stickies, that's cool!
I think you can make another criteria at the top in the sketchbooks category, between Important threads and Normal threads and move them there while they're being "awarded".
Are you also thinking about adding a badge like the daggers ?
Either way, my vote is go for it
(10-13-2013, 03:50 AM)Sickbrush Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's a good motivating factor for a lot of people. I tend to be sliiiiiightly against things like a thumbnail roll in the header but temporary stickies, that's cool!
I think you can make another criteria at the top in the sketchbooks category, between Important threads and Normal threads and move them there while they're being "awarded".
Are you also thinking about adding a badge like the daggers ?
Either way, my vote is go for it

Ya, I'll try to make a special sticky for the selected sketchbook. A badge might be cool, I'll see what I can do.
Sounds like a really good idea Dennis.
Sounds like a nice idea! :)
Although I don't think "how often do you post" should be too important - more like, is it on a regular basis... because updating once a week with 7 pieces is just as good as posting 7 times a week with one image, just ...different. But it's continuity which counts in the end.
(10-13-2013, 06:45 AM)Lyraina Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a nice idea! :)
Although I don't think "how often do you post" should be too important - more like, is it on a regular basis... because updating once a week with 7 pieces is just as good as posting 7 times a week with one image, just ...different. But it's continuity which counts in the end.

Good point Lyraina, I'll change that.
Yup. Couldn't agree more with this idea! It would be a great way to help people get noticed and encourage working harder in a sense. Plus it could just make someones day, haha.
This is definitely a great idea ! Can't wait for it ! (Damn gotta update my sketchbook again, having so few time available currently :( )
This. Sounds. Amazing!

Exactly what I needed to get out of such a bloody rut!
Does sound like a great idea, I think it can only help - so I'm all for it :)
Woo , i bet it will help motivate a lot of people!
Looking forward to it! Thumbs_up
i think this is a great idea but the part about "How much recognition you're receiving currently" does not matter too much (in my opinion). for example, lets say somebody has been working really hard and all of a sudden gets a bunch of feedback does this mean this person gets excluded from being awarded even though they worked really hard to get it? so it kind of kills itself in the process, if that makes any sense. most likely people who are working hard will get some sort of recognition. so to summarize my question, should this be for hard working people who aren't receiving recognition into the limelight for a bit or for everyone to get a chance aslong as they are pushing themselves. also if you REALLY got desperate and wanted the award you could post on everyones sketchbook to give yourself a better chance, but i guess that could be a good thing too since everyone would be helping each other out more :D
I agree with Ben in that part, it would be better to choose sketchbooks with a significant amount of progress and hard work, regardless the attention they get, so people who are less experienced can see what needs to be done in order to improve.
I still remember how eyeopener Hannes Sketchbook was.
But also sketchbooks of people with less experience but who work really hard also deserve a mention i think.

And a new shiny badge would be cool :)
I think thats a great idea and a very good motivator. People would be motivated to a) get chosen and b)once theyre chosen, work even harder to show people their stuff.
(10-13-2013, 08:32 PM)BenFlores Wrote: [ -> ]i think this is a great idea but the part about "How much recognition you're receiving currently" does not matter too much (in my opinion). for example, lets say somebody has been working really hard and all of a sudden gets a bunch of feedback does this mean this person gets excluded from being awarded even though they worked really hard to get it? so it kind of kills itself in the process, if that makes any sense. most likely people who are working hard will get some sort of recognition. so to summarize my question, should this be for hard working people who aren't receiving recognition into the limelight for a bit or for everyone to get a chance aslong as they are pushing themselves. also if you REALLY got desperate and wanted the award you could post on everyones sketchbook to give yourself a better chance, but i guess that could be a good thing too since everyone would be helping each other out more :D

It's for everyone, but, IF I come across someone who is working just as hard and making progress with very minimal recognition over someone who's receiving a lot, I'll pick them. The point is to get those people some spotlight/noticed. And if people actually did that last part in your message, that would be pretty funny.
I personally viewed it as targeted towards people with super nice work ethics and attitude. I wouldn't really sticky very well-known people. At least not often.
(10-14-2013, 05:42 AM)Sickbrush Wrote: [ -> ]I personally viewed it as targeted towards people with super nice work ethics and attitude. I wouldn't really sticky very well-known people. At least not often.

I agree, and I'm sure well-known people with a loaded book of comments probably wouldn't want it or need it. And trust me guys, I have been through more than a few sketchbooks here with a ton of hard work and very good progress, with very little comments. But, I'll definitely consider everyone's sketchbook I browse through when picking a person.
(10-14-2013, 05:48 AM)Dennis Kutsenko Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-14-2013, 05:42 AM)Sickbrush Wrote: [ -> ]I personally viewed it as targeted towards people with super nice work ethics and attitude. I wouldn't really sticky very well-known people. At least not often.

I agree, and I'm sure well-known people with a loaded book of comments probably wouldn't want it or need it. And trust me guys, I have been through more than a few sketchbooks here with a ton of hard work and very good progress, with very little comments. But, I'll definitely consider everyone's sketchbook I browse through when picking a person.

sounds good, i think that is a better way to distribute feedback and also provide motivation to the people who may feel down from not getting feedback as well. anyways im really excited for this, it will get everyone more active and just overall motivate everyone in the end when they see everyone else improving.
Pages: 1 2