Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Hey gots me a piece that I'd love to get advice on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there! Been working on this piece and was wondering about the lighting, I'm fine with the top down, but wasn't sure if adding another light source would make it better. I tried out seeing how a subdued fire kind of light might look to the left, but I wanted to get some opinions on it. So I uploaded one with the extra light and one without. Thanks for your time.[attachment=35970][attachment=35971]
I like the idea of a second lightsource for dramatic effect. I think in this case, what gives me trouble is the lightsource is nearly the same color as the area around the eyes, so it looks like those areas are being lit with the secondary source, but his left eye wouldn't be receiving much, if any from that secondary source, as the nose would block nearly all of it.

Also, to increase the impact of the secondary source, you may want to consider more pronounced shadow areas.
I think you really went overboard texturing this. It's probably better letting it bleed through a little here and there in the highlights, and just ignore it in the shadows.

It's probably a good idea to blur out the background and the edge of the face in this kind of close up.

I feel it's a lot of black and desaturated colors.

Fix the nose, get some reference
stronger jawline also helps I feel.

I'm not sure if you nailed the top down lighting.
The highlights and the cheek and just above the lips are too strong imo.

Bit harsh perhaps, but I hope it helps.
as jsut a quick reply, currently you are deep deep deep within the uncanny valley. The creature is extremly rendered and textured but the eyes are extremly human and soft in comparison. In addition to the texture all the lines are not clearly defined except for at the eyes.
I actually like how it focuses the viewes attention on his eyes, so if you decide to define the face more going in the direction like doublethink's paintover, be carefull to take not too much away.
one last thing, it appears he is looking in two directions, not strong but if we say his right eye is looking at us his left eye looks slightly to the left ( out of his perspective)

Greetings Celarx :)