Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Would you like to come up and see my etchings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Keep up the hard work!

This is something I'm noticing, but even where you're dappling your form shadows they still have a very crisp feel and aren't easily differentiated from your cast shadows, I'd love to see some work where you soften the transitions more and model the form.
Thanks panda!

Tsirides, thanks. Im not sure what you mean by Rembrandts way of drawing. Im always up for new approaches. Perhaps I'll do some studies from him.

Stephany, thanks and I'll try to work my edges more. My skill with a brush is still level 1 newb so I'll keep at it.

I got a new computer this week so not as much drawing or painting got done. Im currently without PS so Im using Gimp to do basic image editing for now. Also I DLed PaintStorm and it looks pretty cool. I might just forget PS for a while though the transition might be painful. Luckily PaintStorm seems to have most of the same functions as PS. I havnt gotten into using it yet so we'll see.
Im thinking of signing up for a month or two of Watts onlines painting classes. So if I disappear for a little while thats why.
Nice improvement, your figures are gonna kick some arses in no time! I also really like your painted studies (acrylics I suppose?), you're getting your values better and your shadows are getting realyl interesting! Keep it up. ;)
Agree w laleann , the gestures are coming along as well, yhe drawings are pretty clean!
I wish I could go to a life drawing class someday.
May I ask , how much the longest pose take from these?
Thanks Ann and fox! Ann, its gouache actually. Fox, we do a 40 minute pose at the longest but once a month theres a 3 hour pose for painting practice.

Did my first assignment from Watts online. I guess I spoke too soon about disappearing.
Looks great!
Hey nice gestures buddy! Check out that book by Hampton - its pretty neat and gives a good method for developing the anatomy from just a gesture. Powerful stuff!
You've handled the values in that grayscale face really well! Subtle highlights and it all flows together nicely. Can't wait to see your newly learned skills applied to your other work!
dude these are great! those gesture sketches and anatomy sketches are awesome!
stuffs looking good! super cool that you are taking the watts online thing (i'm jelly)
Thanks guys! I had some life stuff happen so I kinda didnt paint or draw for a month. Trying to shake the rust off.
Always good to take a long break even though you don't really want to :) . Welcome back!
Thanks Angie! Yea it was nice to recharge a bit. But heres some more drawrinnnngs...
Went to the beach and attempted a landscape. I actually started to get into trying to draw waves and boats and things in the distance. I've never really had that before. So maybe learning landscapes wont be torture for me. Mainly focused on refining my head drawing this week and I'll start to branch out to drapery and some landscape. I still need to get back into painting.
Looks like you are still working really hard, keep it up!

You still seem to be struggling with getting your perspective perfect on your freehand sketches, something i find that helps is to try and draw a far more forced perspective, to force yourself to draw in the perspective space rather than trying to get it right with really subtle flat perspectives.
Thanks for commenting, Muzz! I'll try to do some buildings in perspective here soon.

Still struggling to get back into the swing of things. The biggest difference from taking a month off is that it takes me way longer to warm up. Plus my patients is thinner so by the time Im warmed up Im too frustrated and tired to keep drawing. I went back to life drawing and got a nice 40 minute drawing done after starting over 3 times.
"Thanks for commenting, Muzz! I'll try to do some buildings in perspective here soon."

Ah, i actually meant with anatomy. You are drawing everything flat, you need to draw your anatomy in perspective :).
Oh, my perspective skills are so bad I cant really see it. I practiced mannequinizing figures a week or so ago. Maybe I'll revisit it again this week. I bought the Marshal Vandruff perspective videos yesterday. And I got some perspective "notes" from the Watts online classes I can reexamine. Plus I need to go through How to Draw again. So Im thinking of attacking perspective from all perspectives. Just have to force myself through it till it becomes fun XD
Lovely to see you doing so many figure drawings! I would definitely recommend experimenting more with putting figures in perspective and also thinking about their volume. Mannequinizing would probably be a good idea ^^
Have you heard about the book called Figure drawing - Design and Invention by Michael Hampton? I've been using it lately and it has been helping a great deal!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25