Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Would you like to come up and see my etchings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
these are brilliant! so much breaking down and understanding and those ink works are stunning. you certainly know how to use a pen.
two things i've noticed-- either the photos/scans are poor or your pencils are too blunt D: if the former, eh-- they aren't for us, they're for you! but if it is the pencils being blunt, i would recommend sharpening them (all the time) and looking at how you are using your pencil lines specifically (perhaps in a similar mindset to how you use your pen...?? it could just be the contrast in the scans/photos, but they seem so light!).
secondly! most of these studies are from two dimensional forms-- which is an okay thing, but i think you could benefit from drawing some still lifes. i've seen your self portraits and you seem uncomfortable about drawing from life D: this is unfortunate, because as you're doing heaps of studies here with the human face! perfect opportunity to do some daily self portraits as a part of the mix!

great work and brilliant source of motivation-- keep it up and keep it going
Oh man this is going places! I've got nothing to say as people have said much of it already but keep yourself motivated and you'll get better and better.
Thanks Jaik, its not often I get complements such as that :D And I've been studying the How to Draw book for perspective as well. You can see some stuff I did over in this thread

hapaldo, you're too kind. Yea my pencils are dull 'cause I hate stopping to sharpen all the time. Its why I mostly use pen now. I might just buy an electric sharpener one of these days.

zafa, thank you! I will keep motivated.

I've been studying more mechanical design and Greco Roman statues for my Crimson Arena entry.
Started studying Bridgman
adadfgbsb
Damn man, that is a ton of work. You're gonna be amazing in no time! I checked out your study group you started using Scott Robertson's HTW book - great idea and great stuff. Getting used to perspective really boosts your confidence and quality in drawing, so keep doing the good stuff!

I'm just gonna post some words I think I put on everyone's study thread (it's something I always try to remind myself too): remember to focus and study slowly - don't rush through the drawings without thinking. Not to say that you're not focusing in your studies, of course! (although your recent head studies are showing some signs of a distracted mind, but that could just be me)

Keep up the great work!
Thanks LongJH! I have noticed my drawing skill has sharpened since practicing perspective. And thats great advice to slow down and focus. Im seriously lacking in longer more polished studies. I want to start working on more refined value studies and maybe start to get comfortable with color. Im thinking of buying some supplies for ink washes and possibly traditional painting also.

Heres a master study I drew poorly but the focus was more on values of the skin. I wanted to do a color study but got overwhelmed. I think I need to start more simple with color to value scales. Im still a complete beginner when it comes to color.
Starting with values is a great idea, as they are more important than colors anyway. You might want to start with even fewer value steps, like 3 or 5 - this forces you to really break the image down to its basics. The master study you did is already quite good :)

If you want to start with color - maybe start with a simple still life (some fruit works good)?
Thanks Lyraina! Good suggestions! I'll try to paint some fruit later tonight.
I slowed down a bit recently because of personal stuff but I got a surface pro 2. Its pretty cool so far. Im still getting use to it. Also it doesnt come with a keyboard so Ive been pen clicking everything. The keyboard should be here this week. Heres some junk I sketched on it.
Good studies man! I'd also definitely recommend doing some life studies. They are by far the best way to learn how light works. Helps you think in 3 dimensions and really see how form works. Grab some black cloth (or black tshirt) a fruit and set up some light!

Edit: I just read that you are doing that, my bad haha
Cool sketches! Maybe try working in just tones and shapes or in just lines, in that figure it feel slike you could take out the lineart and it would look just fine
thanks for the feed back Sam and Jacob! Im doing what I can to take both your advices. I did a portrait which took me longer than it should. I also attempted the obligatory gaming controller still life that I should go back to and finish.
Nice studies man, don't be afraid to use lasso / pen tool to get those sharp edges.
That's a very nice portrait! Looks like all those head sketches and studies are paying off :) Don't worry about taking long, speed comes with practice. Just take the time you need. When rendering/shading, try to break down the head/face in simpler shapes and planes.. and maybe start with a clear light situation with one light source. Will make it easier to figure everything out.
Working on visual library of faces.
Some more head studies. Started reading Hogarth's Drawing the Human Head. Its pretty good.
Thanks!

Heres more from Hogarth's book and I tried my hand at some acrylic outside in my yard. I havnt done any traditional painting in probably 8 or more years. I want to keep working outside since the weather is nicer now and it will be a good excuse to get out of my dark room.
wooo trad it up! I should take a page from your book and get outside with my gouaches soon..

I think that little exercise you did with the blocks and simplified heads turning around will help you understand the forms really well, do that more!!!
Thanks Sam! Its a lot of fun painting with real paint. Im kicking myself that I didnt start doing it earlier. And I was thinking the same thing about drawing the heads in that way. That little head exercise was a page from Hogarth's book. I really like how he breaks down exact measurements for drawing head construction from any angle. I've heard a few people saying Hogarth's anatomy isnt good to learn from but Im finding his basic head construction methods are simple enough to understand and very helpful when combined with Loomis's methods.

Im spending every morning doing acrylic painting outside. I did some figure gesture and quick head gestures as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25