Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Danny's crappy book of sketches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
@Hypnagogic_Haze - Yeah I'm actually pretty excited to buy the book. I'm expecting a lot of questions to be answered!

@Fedodika - Ah hello there, I have much to learn and I hope master studies help me out big time. They're pretty fun to study so we will see!

Week 2! *confetti*

[attachment=43025]
[attachment=43026]
[attachment=43027]
[attachment=43028]
[attachment=43029]
Focused on masters again and cooled off with some hands from life

[attachment=43147]
[attachment=43148]
[attachment=43149]
Seems like your inclination in these studies s to make the colors less saturated than the reference, for a few of them try going against your instincts and going more saturated than you would. Even if it doesn't wind up perfectly matching the thing you're studying, that's a nice way to get your brain to start seeing things right
(02-05-2014, 02:13 AM)Samszym Wrote: [ -> ]Seems like your inclination in these studies s to make the colors less saturated than the reference, for a few of them try going against your instincts and going more saturated than you would. Even if it doesn't wind up perfectly matching the thing you're studying, that's a nice way to get your brain to start seeing things right

Yeah I'm too scared to go too saturated because a lot of these master paintings have variations of greys that look like colours or something, messes with my mind. I actually start pretty saturated but go crazy and tone everything down in case it looks too bright. I don't realise how saturated it really is until I colour pick it afterwards. Specially anything I do from memory just ends up being nothing but de saturated colours and greys. I will keep this in mind when doing some stuff from memory tomorrow. Thanks!

Stuff I did today. Got distracted watching some Ruan Jia process videos

[attachment=43227]
[attachment=43228]
[attachment=43229]
[attachment=43230]
[attachment=43231]
[attachment=43232]
week 2

still having problems with saturations and contrast

[attachment=43318]
[attachment=43319]
[attachment=43320]
[attachment=43321]
[attachment=43322]
[attachment=43323]
[attachment=43324]
week 2

[attachment=43420]
[attachment=43421]
[attachment=43422]

Going to add colour...perhaps.
[attachment=43423]

Did this at school

[attachment=43425]
Not much today but it is a Friday so I will be staying up till 5 am painting without having to worry about being too tired the next day! :D

[attachment=43477]
[attachment=43478]
Nice studies, are these from films/photos, or imagination ? :) Your sketches above are looking real clean!
(02-08-2014, 07:31 PM)Mayenla Wrote: [ -> ]Nice studies, are these from films/photos, or imagination ? :) Your sketches above are looking real clean!

Thanks! I'm trying to take more care when doing traditional work by doing things more slowly and finer, it just gets out of hand otherwise. :D The first few posts has some photo studies but everything else is pretty much from life, imagination or a master study at the moment, that's sort of my thing for a while. I'm learning a lot from it so yeah!

Today's workings

Week 2

[attachment=43542]
[attachment=43543]
[attachment=43544]
[attachment=43545]
[attachment=43546]
[attachment=43547]
[attachment=43548]
YERSH MASTER STUDIES! You are working alot, i love seeing these sketchbooks where you gotta keep hitting page down to see next comment! YERSH KEEP DOING STUFFZ! will pay off fast <3
(02-10-2014, 01:45 AM)Fedodika Wrote: [ -> ]YERSH MASTER STUDIES! You are working alot, i love seeing these sketchbooks where you gotta keep hitting page down to see next comment! YERSH KEEP DOING STUFFZ! will pay off fast <3

Fedo, you are one beautiful man indeed. They're great to study but they're so god damn complicated, how the hell did they even manage it?! I'm sitting here copying it and I can barely do it. Thanks for the encouragement! <3

week 2

Messing with saturation and focused on imagination today. Still can't go really saturated comfortably, it's weird but it doesn't feel right.

[attachment=43601]
[attachment=43602]
[attachment=43603]
[attachment=43604]
[attachment=43605]
[attachment=43606]
I know they're hard but you're doing awesome! don't be afraid to use that color picker sometimes, i guarantee if you can't get something right it will teach you, and that ultimately, is what you are after ;>
Allow week 3 to commences!

Life studies! (or the one)

[attachment=43718]

My pencil sketching has gotten a lot lighter now so the scanner is having difficulties picking up up the drawings dammit

[attachment=43719]
[attachment=43720]
[attachment=43721]
[attachment=43722]
This whole still life studying thing is pretty awesome! I thought it was going to be boring ahaha

I've decided I'm going to start labelling stuff now for future reference

week 3

Each one around an hour
[attachment=43829]

an hour and a half? damn I should really keep track of the time
[attachment=43830]
Had to turn all electricity off yesterday because the living room was flooded D: Didn't have internet at the time so here's yesterdays work! I will still be posting today's work later obviously

[attachment=43924]
[attachment=43925]
That sucks about your house flooding. Hope the damage wasnt too bad. If your scanner isnt picking up your sketch pages maybe try going over them with ink. Plus making polished line art can be an invaluable skill to have for illustrators and concept artists alike. Using a brush pen is great practice. It adds a whole new dimension to the dexterity needed in your hand. Plus it will help up your draftsmanship skills.
(02-14-2014, 03:50 AM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: [ -> ]That sucks about your house flooding. Hope the damage wasnt too bad. If your scanner isnt picking up your sketch pages maybe try going over them with ink. Plus making polished line art can be an invaluable skill to have for illustrators and concept artists alike. Using a brush pen is great practice. It adds a whole new dimension to the dexterity needed in your hand. Plus it will help up your draftsmanship skills.

It's all drained and cleaned up now thank god. Yeah those brush pen things look awesome! But it also appears as though they might have quite a steep learning curve. I most likely will be getting a brush pen in the future but for now I'm just going to use a pen or something.

Sometimes I just get this urge to use pens anyways :D Thanks for the suggestion <3

1h 30m
[attachment=43946]

1h
[attachment=43947]

40min
[attachment=43948]

20-30
[attachment=43949]

30-40
[attachment=43950]
week 3

Also did a bunch of crocodile sketches but I can't be bothered to go downstairs and scan them in D:

[attachment=43998]
[attachment=43999]

40min
[attachment=44000]
Nice work on everything recent! Really admire how much work you're churning out. Those quick still lives have great clarity
(02-15-2014, 11:48 AM)Samszym Wrote: [ -> ]Nice work on everything recent! Really admire how much work you're churning out. Those quick still lives have great clarity

:D Thanks! I've been doing loads of pixel locking and masking on these, really helps me to focus on the values of each individual object. Pretty awesome technique! Your gestures are looking great by the way. You were talking about unplugging your internet because you get distracted, well this is something I'm going to end up doing too. I didn't have internet two days ago and I did nothing but paint! I want to push myself to the 8 hours a day thingy too

anatomy study huehuehue
[attachment=44066]
[attachment=44067]

1 and a half hours of messing around because I still can't to colour well

[attachment=44068]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9