Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Twisted firestarter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So in 2014 I want to actually finish a few portfolio pieces.

Here's nr 1 the twisted firestarter

It's still a WIP obviously, but wanted to hear you guys first remarks regarding composition, anatomy, angle etc.

in the background it's gonna be a church or something like the Big Ben.
Haven't decided yet.
worked on it some more.

I kind of like the swooshy hair?
Right now I feel the swooshy hair sort of breaks with the lines you have going. Maybe try to incorporate it in the pyramid shape you have with the character. And try not to mirror her arms, maybe have her pointing down at us with her right arm?
ok what is bugging me at the moment is that everything is extremely saturated. I dont know if its a style which you are aiming for but its quite aggressive for the eye so to speak.
Also, you need to think about lighting more- an object such as the church will be darker than the sky if it is not lit, therefore having the church as a lighter value doesnt make sense. my advice would be to do a load of night time studies, especially of architecture, and decide where your main light sources will be. At the moment what you have is very conflicting, you have a upward lighting of a saturated orange from the fire, a downward lighting from the moon of cool blues, a back lighting from the artificial light of the church and a intense blue lighting from her spell. That is 4 lighting situations all coming from different directions which is a bit of an overload.

My humble (and i do mean that, im not fantastic by any means) advice would be to narrow down your lighting to two main sources, and have everything else as soft ambient lights at most.
Also, your church light and flames at the bottom are pulling pretty much all of the focus away from the face, so ive tried to tone that down in the paintover. Sorry its so crappy i only had 10 mins!
Hopefully you get what i mean from it though.
I think you are improving the figure but it could be a lot more dynamic. I think you need to hold off on it before you solve the main issue at this point.
What is your idea for the composition? Is she supposed to be floating, or on the ground, on earth, in space?
I recommend you do some quick (not sloppy, but quick) thumbnail sketches and value/comp experiments first to nail down your idea so you know what you are working with. It will also save you a lot of time in the painting stage because you will know what you are aiming for already.