Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: sketchbook o' raz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello people!

Felt the need for a place to show my work other than tumblr and deviantart, not getting enough critique over there. Hope this place will change that!

Not much of a talker, so here's some work

bit older
[Image: Sketchbook_0013_zps72d0d139.jpg]
[Image: raz_0023_zps40ed47aa.jpg]
[Image: raz_0024x_zpsc7ed5526.jpg]
[Image: raz_0026_zpsc9b64ad8.jpg]
[Image: inOut02_zps1b210568.jpg]
[Image: Stairs_zpscc3851a1.jpg]
[Image: raz_concept_wip001_zps32ac9108.jpg]

more recent
[Image: tumblr_n0kk7qdTDa1sq4af4o1_1280_zps11040488.jpg]
[Image: Isla_chr_Isla_003_TK_fullbody_zps4267dd06.jpg]
[Image: Isla_chr_Isla_005_TK_zps991a3ce0.jpg]
[Image: Isla_chr_Isla_006b_TK_style_zps7ec23458.jpg]
Line work of the characters for one of the illustrations above. Feedback welcome!

[Image: Isla_ill_Swamp_004_TK_characters_zpsc6ffad60.jpg]
Your linework is fantastic! The latest pieces you posted are really professional looking.

Some of you other art looks a bit "photoshopy" when it comes to brushwork. I would try to focus on hard vs. soft edges in your studies.

Keep up the good work!
I really like the colour palette from your painting with the boy with no head.
The medieval girl makes me think of Shingeki no Kyojin !

I would have cuted the left part in the painting with the monster at the window.
Imo, the light coming from the left takes away the attention from the window. But someone once did the same as you and told me that it was to balance the light from the right, so it might be a valid explanation.
Well then!
Gorgeous work man, I'm glad you joined CD - I don't know what I could crit you on

But yes, keep going hard!
Technician, thanks a lot! Well spotted, now that I look at it, "photoshopy" is the right word to describe it. I'll try and stay away from that ;]

Fincks, haha, it's the green cloak, isn't it? Well, I sure didn't have that in mind when designing her. I'll take it as a compliment! I see what you mean with the lights in that picture, but I still feel that it needs the left one, for the reason you mentioned and the mood I was after, the monster shouldn't be the first focal point. Thanks!

Smrrfette, thanks for the welcome. I hope to get my ass kicked, need to push my art forward ;]

Here's one of the four illustrations I have started now. I don't usually have so many at the same time, but this is for a school project and that's just how I approached it, which I find much better than finishing one and then moving on to another. As always, feedback welcome!

[Image: Isla_ill_Dragon_003_TK_zps36f80e04.jpg]
[Image: Isla_chr_dragon_003_TK_thumbs_zps74dca700.jpg]
Another illustration. Still a bit work in progress but close to getting done. Borrowed a bit too much from Jake Wyatt in this one, but oh well, it's all just for learning purposes so I hope it's fine.
Hey dude!
Someone mentioned it already, but your lineart is pretty rad! Are you illustrating your own story or someone else's? Or is it just practice?
I have nothing that I really want to critique you on, but maybe you shouldn't copy other peoples styles. I guess it's fine for practice or trying it out, but I can imagine that it would be really hard to get away from it and find your own style later on.
Keep up the good work though. I'll be checking back.
Hey, Baoto! The story is my own, but it all is just for practice, do more line work, think more about storytelling. I don't think there's anything wrong with copying someone's style for learning purposes. All I'm trying to get from it is something that I may find useful for my own style, you know, bits and pieces from other artists that work naturally for me. My reasoning behind this project is to do more line work, because that's what I always avoided. I could try and come up with different looks of my own, but I don't have the luxury of time to do that. I don't really have a style of my own and am still waiting for that to come, but I'm not sure I like the idea of always painting things ONE way. I enjoy different techniques, it's too much fun to try all kinds of things with paint and line, as good as it is to be recognized by having a certain style. Someday, maybe ;] Enough talking for me. Thanks a lot for stopping by and the feedback! I appreciate it.

Some more older work - a few illustrations and some studies
One more
That last one is rather lovely, excellent use of colour theory. I'm also rather intrigued by the chimera-looking creature. I like what I see here.
Thanks, Stardust! It gave me a lot of trouble, so I'm happy you like the colors. Much appreciated!

Here's one I'm not sure how to continue, any feedback?
Hello, welcome to CD! I'm pretty new myself too!

You have a solid looking sketchbook here Raz and you have a good breadth of styles.
I think you're on the right track with your medieval girl character! In my opinion, it really stands out among your other stuff that you've posted.

I'd encourage you to focus and zero in on this, I think it will save you a lot of time and effort in the long run. Have you read this post from Greg Manchess?
http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2014/02/...e.html?m=1

Your latest work looks pretty much done, maybe soften the background with a soft airbrush just a tad. But otherwise Thumbs_up Thumbs_up
Gchong, thanks! I did read Greg's post and that's one of the reasons I decided to focus on just a few things that really interest me, that being illustration and 3d game art. What you're seeing here is obviously the illustration part and I'm real glad you enjoy seeing my latest stuff, lets me know I'm going in the right direction ;]

Here's another I worked on. I'm done with this project this week, yay! I'll post all four illustrations together, hopefully, tomorrow.
My project is done! Over dramatic music, GO!

Hello again!

Here's something new, 3D this time. Colors and nice renders coming soon!
Marmoset is awesome!
Playing around with colors at the school this week. WIP

[Image: dSstHMz.jpg]
loved the brush work in post #9 . nothing really to say but to keep putting more work on here and continue the studies.
Thanks, BenFlores! I'll keep it up for sure ;]

Color script thingie done. It's nice to focus on just a few aspects of painting and try to improve those
[Image: KWb91co.jpg]
Pages: 1 2