Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Great job man! I admire your persistence! Keep killin
g
it! ;D
Heliux Cheers buddy, sometimes it feels that I'm constantly at the beginning - improve a little bit in one area then find in another area I'm at level 0 and have more hard work and brain twisting to go through before it clicks. I will keep persisting... dunno if I'm really killing it though, but thanks for the encouragement!

A bad day for drawing today, everything I tried seemed to look terrible, taking a little break from my illustration course, I'll try to come back to it this week though, if I leave it too long I'll end up not finishing it.

So just posting some quick sketchy stuff I did at the end of the day, I'm really enjoying doing landscape thumbnail studies with brush pen, they are super quick and (I think) have a nice look to them.

[Image: CXFoG8K.jpg]

Then trying to kind of sum up different ways to draw foliage that I've either copied or stumbled across on my own in the last couple weeks.

[Image: TmN3RZ6.jpg]
More inky thumbs:

[Image: 7c3FyCq.jpg]
Hey! great work so far man. As for the form thing you wanted help with, studying Michael Hampton and Scott Robertsons how to draw should help a lot with that
CoreyH Thanks for the encouragement and recommendation - I'd planned to spend the whole month of November on Hamton, looks like it's the right move! Cheers buddy.

Some stuff from today:

Studying mountains and trees:

[Image: urljmDT.jpg]

Playing around with charcoal in a new sketchbook, I love the texture of this book:

[Image: PgKAwY9.jpg]

Pencil drawing for today's inktober:

[Image: j0v073A.jpg]

And inked version:

[Image: NZl3Qsp.jpg]
Practising some different types of hatching and cross hatching. I think I nailed it on the tree on the final strip of bark on the left side - tiny dots of white showing through the black. I've learned that the technique doesn't work if the lines are spaced too far apart! Will practise this some more later / tomorrow.

[Image: uns1a7u.jpg]
Some more ink techniques study, thanks to Alphonso Dunn, his youtube channel is incredible:

[Image: tz9mxnW.jpg]

[Image: Xg6wUTl.jpg]

And pencil sketch for next inktober drawing, will ink it later when my daughter isn't running around near me!

[Image: bN4Sk40.jpg]
Hi Jonny, Big thanks for your advice and encouragement on my thread :P
Looks like your going all in for inktober, be sure to check out the work of Heinrich Kley
crazy skills in describing form
http://michaelwoodside.blogspot.co.uk/20...-kley.html
http://characterdesignnotes.blogspot.co....my_22.html
Richie Anytime man :P You're doing good stuff! Yea inktober is all I'm about right now - it's been such a great way to get myself focused on ink and stick to it without being distracted away by other mediums or different types of drawing. It's also made me think about finished pieces, instead of just rough sketches and little studies like I normally do - I actually have some nice drawings stuck up on my wall now! Cheers for the links man, you're really great at research and gathering good links, I'm always checking out the stuff you post in the shoutbox!

Inked version of the pencil drawing above; wasn't as successful as I'd hoped but great practice and learned some things. I need to be really clear about light and shadow, the light side of the tree looks a bit flat, need to show the curve of the spirals better, maybe add some texture too. Right at the end I dropped a lovely big blob of ink right on the page on the big branch (middle top) - <3 working with ink >.<

[Image: L3HaslA.jpg]

I think the separation between foreground and background works ok - less contrast towards the back, heavy line weight in front. I also tried to not leave too much white space which some of my other recent drawings had.
More ink studies from Alphonso Dunn lessons. I'm learning a lot from his lessons, basically how to simplify things into simple forms, it's helping me with all drawing too, not just ink:

[Image: 8T0wtsa.jpg]

[Image: 8UrrMMy.jpg]

A few thumbnails playing around with how to practice the leaves in an illustration:

[Image: j5MA4R1.jpg]

And inktober day 23 drawing based on thumbnail above:

[Image: Y9vu1Df.jpg]

I feel my control with the brush and crow quill pen is getting pretty good. The area I need to work on is light and shadow, I need to have it really locked down before I start to ink, so I know where to put the heavier lines with the brush and where to hatch the cast shadows with the crow quill.
Your inks and drawing ability are coming on leaps and bounds man, really great focus you got going now and constantly pushing yourself to study and improve, keep it up! Looking forward to seeing more!
Jon Thank you very much! I feel like it's getting better too, gotta keep going!

Thumbnails + pencil + ink for today:

[Image: CurWcBe.jpg]

[Image: xn58zb5.jpg]

[Image: pnHU0IO.jpg]

I could've pushed this further with shadows and line weight and stuff but I noticed how horribly it's leaning and decided to leave it at that. That horrible black lump that is covering up some rushed hatching kinda made me lose my enthusiasm too. Will try not to rush next time ^^;
Dude You'll be a Master in a very short time, for sure. Just keep the work you doing. This notes you take, its half of the deal that you aware of the essence behind the things you draw. Just dont forget about your visual library, read fiction books, travel. And keep up the good work.
Caisne Thanks for having belief in me dude! I'll try to live up to that! Thanks for looking at my sketchbook.

Inktober day 25:

[Image: KyzFO8c.jpg]
Didn't have much drawing time today, so just some quick studies.

Was trying to represent a sunset directly behind the tree in the first one, it was a rush job but moderately successful - would need more visual cues to make it read though.

Second one just a photo study of a Thai beach.

[Image: 7rBi3qK.jpg]
More ink stuff, four more days of this and then I'll start doing other stuff as well.

Tree study:

[Image: i9Q5y5u.jpg]

Scene from imagination:

[Image: OHsJPKk.jpg]

This was done entirely with brush and ink, I think I'm so close to nailing the hatching & feathering with the brush, it's starting to look pretty clean and organised (compared to how it was the last time I tried this anyway).
Updated my study schedule with a six month plan. I'm pretty excited about it, it seems pretty structured and logical (link is in my signature) - I basically focus majority of my time on one area each month; this month was ink, next month figure drawing, December perspective, January rendering, February comic books, March colour.

Preparing for anatomy / figure drawing study by doing some gesture / constructive figures. I think my new favourite tool for doing these is a 6B pencil sharpened with knife and sandpaper (so there is a nice long bit of graphite poking out). Brush pen is pretty fun too now that I've got the hang of it.

[Image: 2Ujo3kk.jpg]

[Image: 8tq3eWH.jpg]

Had a bit more time today so made a start on Hampton - decided to go right back to the very beginning and start again. These drawings are pure gesture; just trying to capture the energy and 'story' of the pose, proportion is the lowest priority - that can be adjusted once the constructive phase starts anyway.

[Image: aUBkL9s.jpg]
More inktober sketches & inks, in these last three days I'll try to do 3 panels of a comic page, no story just establishing the setting.

Here's the first one: 'pencils' done in photoshop using this awesome pencil like brush: http://andantonius.deviantart.com/art/Ph...-105284502

[Image: ux7w1t3.jpg]

And ink, done with real brush:

[Image: MeVGT1h.jpg]
Great day today, got loads of drawing and sketching done! Here are the highlights:

Gestures:

[Image: nYdrWNE.jpg]

Some swivel eyed loons:

[Image: y7U010o.jpg]

Inktober day 30; panel 2 of my comic:

[Image: XYQuDgY.jpg]
Inktober has finished! I am kinda sad but also relieved - I was loving the inking but starting to feel a little (self imposed) pressure to produce something everyday.

My last comic panel didn't turn out so well, kinda rushed it whilst trying to do it digitally (which I struggle with) and trying to draw a character (which I also struggle with). You can see the three panels at the bottom of this image, which has all my inktober drawings:

[Image: 64SVJJ8.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35