Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Really love your character sheets! That Tinker Bell break-down was amazing too! Really like the comic panel too :)

I can say something about the YAC illustration/logo you did in the previous page, being a graphic designer myself: I don't know the context, how and where that would be applied. but keep it simple!

I'd definitely like to see some composition studies!
AlCo Thanks man, there is a lot of benefit in tracing over other people's drawings and photo's to figure out how stuff is constructed or can be simplified. About the logo; thanks for the comments, I thought I was keeping it simple XD graphic design is something I don't know much about so I just fiddle around til something looks acceptable - I downloaded a course on it, since it seems where I live there is plenty of work doing that kind of stuff, eventually I'll get around to studying it. Hopefully some composition / scenes coming soon!

Not much to show today, just some generic manga heads.

[Image: PGCDsMx.jpg]
not much done today either, studying some boobs:

[Image: uYa9ZWh.jpg]

[Image: y44E1qK.jpg]
Back to normal today, hands, figure drawing, perspective stuff:

[Image: iiJISQD.jpg]

[Image: sAjHCE5.jpg]

[Image: H8qK0sj.jpg]

[Image: aHJVJlV.jpg]
Anatomy day today, tried in digital, was pretty fun:

[Image: sC9w2pg.jpg]

[Image: uj5sYxJ.jpg]
Didn't get too much time today, some hands (all from imagination / just with my own hands, pretty happy how they came out) and start of a page of facial expressions:

[Image: Q0I5yAW.jpg]

[Image: XvXcLEQ.jpg]
Woah man, awesome hands from imagination! Keep them coming!
Hello,
in the beginning of this sketchbook you posted a schedule.
Did you follow through? It looks really tough!
How long did you do that?
Great job man! Those figures and hands are really getting better and more "fluid" (can we say that in english xD) You seem to be getting good at controlling perspective as well! e_e Loving the dedication as well!
AlCo Thanks! Next challenge is to pose them how I want - those all just kind of came out however they did without much control.

Markus I stuck to that plan for only a couple of weeks, it was far too ambitious for me. Right now I follow this one: http://imgur.com/78Ekuh0 I don't hit every hour of every block, since stuff is always coming up that eats into that time, but this kind of 3 stages per day plan seems to be working for me. 1st stage: warmup, 2nd stage: work on weaknesses, 3rd stage: study new stuff / strengthen stuff. Seems to be manageable thing to do everyday. Then on weekends work on a project to apply all this study and work to something.

Lale Merci! I feel things coming together more, less frustration and more fun these days! You can definitely say fluid in English : )

Todays stuff; hands (studying from Hogarth) and rendering practice. Made a start on rendering this thing in photoshop, may or may not finish that last image.

[Image: gii3tI2.jpg]

[Image: opcq3z9.jpg]

[Image: 2m9O6Zo.jpg]

[Image: YGJAnvG.jpg]
My little project this weekend; making a christmas card for our friend who got deported. I'd forgotten about it and her boyfriend just gave me the card yesterday, so kind of rushed it. Happy enough with the result but I know I could've done loads better. I know she'll be happy though, so it's all good.

Figuring out what to draw and first attempt
[Image: QAl3EAQ.jpg]

Screwed up some lines and didn't have the right markers to colour it all, so good ol' photoshop ^^
[Image: z8lBBIJ.jpg]

The finished card
[Image: GdaFeH0.jpg]

Whole thing is really skewed! Need to stop leaning my head on my hand when I draw. If I had more time I would've made chibi's of all her friends instead of the random chibi's from reference (although I put her boyfriend in the back second from the left at least).
sup jyonny long time no see, i see youre still working on anatomy stuff but i also see some perspective stuff. thats good , mixing it up breaks the monotony of studying.

those chibis are cute. i liked how you painted them looks really 3 dimensional.
Kurt Thanks man. I'm trying to do a little bit of each of the important study areas each week, so I can feel progress across everything instead of getting stuck on heads or anatomy or whatever for weeks at a time. It's kind of hard, since after a day of anatomy study I am all fired up and into it and want to continue. Now I've started a rhythm to it though I'm finding it easier to switch it off and pick it up again a week later. I do the same topic on the same day each week (except for this week, which has got all screwed up by outside commitments). By the way, where are your updates man? Haven't seen anything from you in ages...!

Trying to do more digital, since I like how they look, but I find it really hard. Will keep practising. Today some hands and mannikin constructions. Also trying to tackle colour a bit, doing my project on the weekend made me want to learn it. Just trying to match colours by eye from photo and a painting today (the fairy was for my daughter who bustled in and demanded I paint a man in pink clothes with blue hair, that changed to a woman, that was then a fairy).

[Image: 8GC0i7f.jpg]

[Image: r3Hgnvc.jpg]

[Image: YIGRVVL.jpg]
Didn't quite finish this one but probably won't get to post til after christmas. This is following Sycra's video on 'choosing colours that work'. Really nice breakdown for a colour novice like me, the paintings are starting to look nice I think!

[Image: mLr9ChJ.jpg]

Merry christmas everyone! If you believe in that kind of thing : ) if not have fun anyway ^_^
Doing great man! What to say, just keep at it. Try to apply a study from memory from time to time, maybe?
Awesome job, happy holidays!
Good to see you've been putting those hours in. Keep up the consistency. If I could suggest anything , it would be to spend more time on your work, try to really one up yourself with the next one.
BBdog Thanks for the encouragement! I do have a sketchbook at home that I sketch in everyday, it's stuff from memory / imagination. Should post some of that on here too.

Ben Thanks for the visit! It's a good suggestion, I do see the benefit of putting more hours into a single piece and refining it, since some of my stuff that I took time to add value / colour really improve. I feel this reluctance though since I'm always thinking I could get more value from doing 5 hours worth of sketchy studies and quicker drawings than working on a single painting. I really should though, since maybe I can surprise myself!

Just warming up after a few days with very little drawing. I feel like going hard at perspective again and spending the month of January mostly on that.

[Image: TUfle13.jpg]
Hey good to see you actully creatign somethign out of your studies! :D That's what you nee dnow, applying your studies a little bit more into actual drawings or paintings. :)
I see you're looking into color as well.. If there's one guy who helped me simplify all that stuff a lot, it was Mike Azevedo. If you haven't already, I'd suggest you check out his gumroad tutorial about color theory. Simple and clear. He was a great push for me. Keep it uuuup! :D
Lale You're right, I need to create more stuff but feel like there are so many gaps in my knowledge I need to fill still. Hopefully my plan to do original stuff on weekends works out this year. Thanks for the recommendation of the video, I bought and it and started working through his techniques today. Really great to understand why my paintings usually look so dull and grey and need levels adjustments.

Hands, and figuring out some nice way to make them more presentable in digital:

[Image: NI0H6Hh.jpg]

Some painting / rendering practice with advice from Mike Avezedo's video. He says to select each new colour you need manually - don't hold down alt and pick from the canvas or things end up getting really grey! These look a bit dull to me still, but next time I will add more details and not do everything with just the soft airbrush (makes it too 'matt' looking everywhere).

[Image: op3BVC5.jpg]
I dont think these studies look dulll at all, but you are missing a couple of important lights and shadows. If you don't include those the objects will start to look flat. If you add strong bouncing light and a strong highlight the material will change from matte to shiny.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35