Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Lycia Tree Concept
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All!

So this is one of my first concept pieces, but have done some traditional courses. Looking for crits specifically on the water, lighting, overall atmosphere and perspective, but anything else that comes to mind, please feel free to let me know. As well, I just wanted to stress that my focus at this point is fundamentals mastery. I am breaking that down bit by bit, primarily through self teaching and online resources, so any books, websites, or youtube channels etc are also very helpful for me.

Thanks!

[attachment=47327]
Hello, i'm not very skilled myself, but to me it's almost looks like the groundlevel is hovering above some air, instead of water? also i think the stones in the front are talomg up to much space and act distracting, maybe reducing them a lot and painting a reflection of the tree in the water, would help make it more interesting and understandable, anyway just a suggestion, also use reference! Resources i use:

Ctrlpaint.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL
http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-t...e-drawing/
https://www.youtube.com/user/sinixdesign...sults_main
http://www.quickposes.com/

Also following artist, which work you like is a good source i think, heres a little list i made of artist i like from just looking around on the internet: Justin Sweet, Vance Kovacs, Linran, Peter Mohrbacher, Jamie Jones, craig mullins , Peleng, Peter Andrew Jones, frank frazetta, Juan gimenez, Ashley Wood

hope that was to some help :)
Hi Knokke,

Thanks for the input! I can definitely see how the center of the image appears to float now and how something to ground it like the tree's reflection or even making the water go towards the VP is necessary. Also, really appreciate the links and artists you dropped - definitely alot of great stuff there. I watch Feng and Sinix alot, but Ctrlpaint I had no idea about!

Gonna try out your tree reflection idea and see how it works out, so thanks again!
Yo, I tried to outline some basic fundamentals that could improve your image. Always do thumbnails and simple value arrangements before you render a piece to make sure all your elements are working.

So below, in the top right image, I simplified your composition into 4 basic value layers. You'll notice there is an immediate jump in readability just by simplifying. The reason for this is that you have values in some layers that bleed into the values of other layers thus flattening the distance between them in the image. Also notice the similarity in value between the sky and the lake..this is why it looks like the midground is floating on top. Value and contrast separation is equal to depth separation.

In the "composition" thumb, I tried to show the main lines of your composition with the shapes you used. Blue is the sky layer, purple the distant hills, green the tree, red the foreground. Where there are dotted lines this is to show the general flow of the composition being broken by other shapes in the way. You have picked a focal point (tree trunk) and definitely are working shapes towards it for the most part, but look at how badly the foreground interrupts this.

The 'Tangents' thumb shows you where you have the outlines of separate objects touching each other creating depth perception issues. Examples are the tree and sky; also having lines continue on from one object to another (see dotted line from background hill to foreground rock) cause depth issues. Also lines meeting or touching the canvas edge create unwanted focal points and break composition. Check this link out for more on tangents. http://blog.drawn.ca/post/13752763449/du...o-spotting

With a value thumbnail you should be looking to determine your value arrangement, composition, perspective and general shape language as well. Shape language is your use of shapes to indicate intangible things about the image. Rounded and curved shapes are soft and inviting, organic. Hard edges are dangerous or intimidating and so on. Using opposing shape types can help draw focus. So if the surroundings are hard edged, then maybe the tree could be the only soft shape thus drawing focus to it. Shape language is important in design work, and you need to think about this with intent and apply this within your work to achieve a sense of design consistency and cohesiveness across the image.

The last image is using the separate layers and adding, atmospheric perspective, lighting and beginning to indicate form and texture locally to start creating additional focal points. Note at this step you should always be trying to keep your general simple value scheme intact overall otherwise things will start moving around in depth. Work with your piece zoomed out as much as you can, or use the navigator to show a small version of your image to make sure you maintain the overall readability of the piece.

In terms of colour, your piece goes from 30 to 70 in saturation across the entire piece, with most of it in the higher ends. Saturation tends to draw focus, so maybe work with more desaturated colours to start with and reserve your highest points of saturation for focal points and accents.

Hope that helps. Feng's videos are great but they do not focus on fundamentals, and this is what you need to focus on. I also recommend Shaddy Safadi's video series on Youtube for some really important ideas and workflow steps. It's not a "tutorial" but he knows what he is talking about, and it is packed with lots of information if you listen closely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NygkJEc3yu4

[attachment=47392]
Wow, this has all been exceptionally helpful for me! Currently studying more composition theory and practicing simple shape compositional studies in greyscale. My aim is to revisit this particular concept with an improved understanding for a bit of compare and contrast.

Very happy to be a part of this community so thanks again to all of the tips guys!