Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: How to do that faster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys! That has taken 4-5 hours. Much better than before.

Steps:
  • think of general idea
  • sillhouette and putting general lighting/design
  • detalization, done in cycles: clean brushstrokes, fix non-realistic places, enhance design at minor places

I guess all that can be done much, much faster, in 30 minutes maybe. Is that just an experience thing?

Thank you for your time!
The answer to that varies from one art director to the next, I suppose. Speed comes with familiarity of practice. Once you've done something so many times you go into semi-auto mode, and thus faster.

The mech design is a bit odd with the forward pointing legs so straight and no obvious joints that indicate they turn sideways at all. Won't that mean this mech will tip over sideways easily? I guess when it comes to mech design, the purpose and probably back story of the mech becomes more important because they directly feeds into the design and look of the whole mech...? It can be said for every design, but especially mech because people build every inch of them with very specific purpose in mind. Whereas a decorative desk or fancy fantasy armor can be built with parts for no particular reason other than it looks nice at the time.
(04-21-2014, 08:48 AM)meat Wrote: [ -> ]The answer to that varies from one art director to the next, I suppose. Speed comes with familiarity of practice. Once you've done something so many times you go into semi-auto mode, and thus faster.

The mech design is a bit odd with the forward pointing legs so straight and no obvious joints that indicate they turn sideways at all. Won't that mean this mech will tip over sideways easily? I guess when it comes to mech design, the purpose and probably back story of the mech becomes more important because they directly feeds into the design and look of the whole mech...? It can be said for every design, but especially mech because people build every inch of them with very specific purpose in mind. Whereas a decorative desk or fancy fantasy armor can be built with parts for no particular reason other than it looks nice at the time.

Thank you a lot for constructive and thorough answer, Meat.
I wonder whether that design blooper hampers unconscious perception of the piece by audience.
(04-21-2014, 01:56 PM)tedmx Wrote: [ -> ]... I wonder whether that design blooper hampers unconscious perception of the piece by audience.

I think design has a part to play. You should do some research on that, I'm not a detailed source of info on that.
Just as a lackey looking at the piece, it's hard to imagine it moving with any fluidity at all. Maybe visualise how something like this would move as you are designing. Better yet, look at youtube vids of crabs, scorpions, spiders etc nature is the best designer, may as well learn from her.