Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Eve's sketchings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, I'm Eve! While holidays already started for me, I have no excuse anymore not to draw, so I can devote all my time to studying like I want to. (I need it!) Here you can find my process and hopefully progress as well! I plan to update a lot every day. Pointers, thorough feedback, everything is welcome.

As I have nothing much worthy to post for now, let's kick off with some 30 sec ballpoint gestures I did on occasion!

Gen

Welcome :) And a really great start i should say! Keep em coming :)
Welcome to the forum! Nice gestures, Eve. My names Adam by the way (¬‿¬)
Welcome! Nice start so far, your gestures are pretty sweet. But I want to see more!
@Gen: Thanks man! You made a great start as well ;D I'll keep updated, for sure!
@Adam: Thanks a lot, here, take an apple ;)
[attachment=50479]
@ZombieChinchilla: Thank you very much for the warm welcome, I will post more!

Today's stuff for now includes:

Gestures:
[attachment=50480]

A quick painting after a screenshot, practicing some brushes and colour picking:
[attachment=50481]
Note to self: Try to make that painting less fuzzy, even though it is a rough.

I should really push myself more. I'm free all day for god's sake.

This time a meagre 60 second gestures digital, and some silhouet design practice. Another note to self: be more confident and dare to exaggerate and explore shapes more.

[attachment=50502]

[attachment=50503]
Yesterdays stuff.
Ughh been ill last couple of days. But now I return, have tightened up my schedule and am ready to go!

Yesterday's gestures:
[attachment=50697]

Today's anatomy studies and application exercise, and motion studies.
[attachment=50698]
[attachment=50699]
Good to see lots of gestures. They're so clean, but the pose and intent is clear. If you still want to learn how to exaggerate/push them, animators are the people to look at.

I like how you are thinking about the muscles in a way that shows them in different poses like this as well, those pivot lines look like a good way to get a grasp on direction. It is worthwhile sketching in the bones like you did with the hands, perhaps in a different colour.
I agree with others, really cool gestures. Keep pushing it and commit to the schedule/goal.
@clockodile: Thanks a lot! I sure will try to push my gestures next time. I should find some nice exaggerated gestures and try to figure out the trick behind them. If you have any great examples I'd love to see them! I also tried to add bones to the arms this time, but I feel like i should do a proper study on those first.

@crackedskull: Thank you very much for the encouragement! Will do so.

Today's stuff. Even though I spend most of my hours drawing every day I just can't get as much done as I'd like to... I should get quicker XD
I've found good photos to study from are sport (already saw some nice fencing gestures of yours further up) - baseball, basketball and pretty much anything fighting related (UFC, boxing, various martial arts) are good, but even random things like ping pong can have interesting pushed poses. As for drawings, the obvious one is Disney! At least back when they did 2D.

On a related note, if you run a google image search on "drawing force", you'll get a bunch of pictures from Mike Mattesi's books as well - there are several intro vids here on youtube he did to promote paper (odd but hey, freebies) where he explains the basics if you are interested too - it is only one option from a variety of gesture drawing methods so no worries if it doesn't click for you.

Keep up with the studying! Speed is generally something that improves over time, so don't sweat it too much.
Thanks a lot! I will check these out right away. I think experimenting with styles is a good thing to do so I'll definately try. And yeah free resources are the best kind of resources ;)

So more gestures, yay!

[attachment=50882]

So eh, yeah I have to admit I somewhat avoided to post my personal work here, as I'm totally not happy with it and prefer to do lots of studies before I start showing it. But I was low on motivation, so here we go. This is the kind of shit I make when I've got nothing else to do. I have the attention span of a fly, so don't expect too much. Crits on this are welcome too of course.

[attachment=50881]
Everybody already said it, but I need to say it again: Your gestures really look good! I can also only agree with Clockodile about the speed thing. I'm also often very disappointed about how slow I work or how slow everything is progressing, but most of the time, when I watch youtube videos, the artists say: "Don't rush it". Important thing is that you are on your way and with those gestures and anatomy studies you sure are! (:

The girl in your personal work is really cute, I like the expression! I also like how you did the hair, the flow really looks good to me. Here are some little points though: I'm not sure if the pose with the legs works out like this. Actually her knees look very close together to me, but the feet are more apart. I just tried standing like this and it was uncomfortable/not possible. I think if you'd like to leave the general pose like this, her left foot would lift a bit from the ground. I'd also try to add a bit more weight to the skirt and draw her hands like she's really grabbing the fabric. Right now it looks a bit like her hands are just lying on the fabric. I'm by no means an expert though, and poses in general are really hard for me as well. I still hope it helps a bit, maybe. I don't know if you know Senshistock over at deviantArt, she has a huge gallery full of helpful stock. I just had a quick look and found those poses here which might help you out with the legs.

I'd really like to see more of your work, so keep it up (:
Thanks a lot! Sometimes I just see people able to draw multiple pages of stuff a day, whereas I barely get to this on studies. I don't mind being slow in my personal stuff, I'm just so impressed with what some people can manage on art studies, it makes me slightly envious haha.

And yeah I've been so stupid!! I now see that her leg is completely twisted, the knee and position of foot doesn't make sense at all! I won't edit the drawing, though. Stuff is finished so I will only take the advice with me for further works. Thank you very much, to make up for this I immediately decided to do a leg study!

I know senshistock, her poses are so amazingly helpful, really fabulous. I decided to use her references for some legs in the study. Today's stuff:

Anatomy study:

[attachment=51054]

Some 2min gestures, decided to do some which take some more time to try apply anatomy learned:

[attachment=51055]

And some redraw stuff, I try to update this once every few months to track progress.. (and see if I do improve or have to change something in my learning!)

[Image: tumblr_n6yhw4jGit1tp4uefo1_1280.png]

Trying a softer paint style, which I enjoy as well... I really have no idea what style to go for D: