Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Shadows in the correct places?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: VYCJHwu.png]
I guess the shadows are passable. For now I think you should spend some time learning more about the human figure to really kick your drawings to the next level.
I like that you're going for a cel shaded look to this, as far as I can tell the light is coming from the right which means the shield would be darker on the side where the arm is as the light is hitting the other side and there would be a cast shadow on the body from the shield. I think the bottom part of the neck would be catching a bit of light also, not shadow covering it all. her left leg would also have a shadow where the two parts of flesh meet. Think about not just the main shadows but after them being laid in double check if there are any places where there light would being blocked by the figures limbs etc and also the items the character is holding.

Also Psycho time is right, keep working on your anatomy skills but keep doing your own work as well and you'll see your drawings improve a lot from your studies :).
I actually did shade the the back of the shield and her arm, I just made the shadow way too light.
Yeah, I totally missed that left leg shadow. I'm getting closer!
The shadows are light as themselves, and they're made to seem even lighter by contrast with the pitch black lines. I suggest you redraw those lines in your digital painting software either using some kind of grey by experimenting with each shade to find one that works, or, using a very dark version of each color shapes. In other words, for her boots' line work, replace black lines with very dark brown; very dark red for shield's line work; very dark green for shirt's line work; so on so forth.

Sort of like these: http://cpt.ninja-x.jp/img/fft_01.jpg