Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: THE DIGITAL ANVIL: 2d-3d video game asset mentorship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=55620]

Hi everyone, so i'm looking to take the initiative and offer my knowledge to those of you looking to acquire knowledge of 3d tools

This is also an experiment for me, as i have never really taught any of this to people over the internet, but I am totally confident I can!

I also consider it way to get back on the forums i love so much and help some people in the community to learn 3d <3

I know many of you guys are totally 2d oriented, that doesn't mean you can't benefit from learning 3d techniques, they can help you create better lighting and perspectives in your pieces and it greatly improves your ability to sense form. I almost forgot to mention that these are the tools that can help you segway into matte painting.

This is for anyone interested in video game asset work, basically, characters, props, and weapons are things you can make with the principles i know

I will be livestreaming the mentorship and saving them on my channel for everyone to see

What to expect

Concept art for assets- understanding how to redesign a character, model sheets, character essence

Modelling - sculpting, low polygon modelling, topology

Texturing - UV mapping, the difference between a 2D image and a texture, How to bake maps

Renders, Promotional imaging, 3d for digital paintings

Why am I doing this?

Because frankly I have no peers, online or otherwise that are interested in improving and working on 3d. And yes i do know polycount exists lol, but its kind of cold over there to me. I really enjoy the CD community. I want to do this to make friends and teach people something that they are interested in but don't really have the confidence to handle it on their own.

What exactly are we going to do?

Each individual will be creating an asset for the game DOTA2 that is collaboratively part of a set of items for a character

separate assignments for each mentee following the same work structure

this brings me to

What programs can I learn

The bold Items below are what I will use to do the main overall techniques I will teach

the list below are all acceptable programs i have some knowledge of haha
Zbrush
Modo
Maya
Blender
Substance painter/designer
xnormal

NDO2
DDO
Marmoset Tool bag

When

Sunday afternoons 2:00 pm EST standard time

What do I need to do to apply for mentorship?

1. Create a steam account and install DOTA2
2. Add me on steam
3. Leave a post in this thread to your sketchbook, blog, or wherver you post your work.
4. Be super cool

This is an example of my work
[attachment=55625]
[attachment=55632]
[attachment=55633]
[attachment=55634]
[attachment=55635]
im interested in joining . though i have some worries if my pc can handle it.
I think its important to note that Resources and tools will be provided to anyone that needs them

also i do all of this on an ultrabook which is basically just about at low grade as specs come so i dont think your going to have a problem :)
I'm definitely keen to learn 3D. I have been playing around with C4D for a few months now, trying to use it for my workflow for environments mostly. I'm starting Kalens mentorship for the month of Oct, but if you guys are still doing stuff after that (since I want to dedicate as much time as possible to the mentorship) I will definitely be in.
thats cool then im in! :)
Ok sorry for the delayed response guys and the falling behind schedule ill be back in my home town tomorrow and ill kick it off 2pm

red

Was wondering if I can come and join in on this too? I don't really know much about 3d, but after reading your brief I thought my TA needs a zealot hybrid armor haha. But joking aside I'd like to join if you have space. Here's the post to my works, it's kinda empty though as I just been doing studies.

http://end5er.deviantart.com/