Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: newly minted illustrator looking to improve
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

oceana1009

Hi all! Been checking these forums on and off for a while now and thought it was probably about time to stop hiding and just join already. I'm 30 years old, USA (near DC), and just started freelancing in illustration last year. I've been practicing art, and digital art since I was old enough to figure out a computer but never really immersed in it fully until just recently. Now I've realized how much more learning I have to go, and really need some critique on how to get better. I've been drawing just about every day, and it's a start, but it's still not quite cutting it, in terms of where I'd like to/need to be. :/ I'm hoping that being here will help change that!

Also trying to turn art into a fully fledged career because of being a bit ill (though recovering still) and housebound, on account of having way too many autoimmune/allergy health conditions. (autoimmune peeps, if there are any here, get at me, and we can discuss health stuff~~). Being able to work full time from home would be pretty ideal, needless to say.

Anyway my art blog is here, I have a few comics here, and my behance portfolio is here. Let's art! :)
Welcome!

Very awesome. Just added you on tumblr and I really like your portfolio ^^. I'm new here as well, you should also consider making a sketchbook post. Goodluck with everything, Im sure you can turn art into your career!
I would recommend that you set clear goals of what you'd like to improve upon and then break them down into steps ensuring that your practice is relevant to your studies. For example if your goal was to get better at portraits in a month you'd be better off doing studies of eyes than salamanders or something. This may sound obvious but a lot of people don't gear their studies towards their goals.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthr...d-Sketches

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthr...Sketchbook!

These are worth looking at if you haven't seen them. They might give you an idea of how to go about the task of improving if you're feeling like you don't know where to start.