Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: The Book Of Fundamentals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Starting a fresh sketchbook for the fundamentals
Old sketchbook thread was too cluttered and not updated for months on end (I was living without internet)
Will keep this one compact and update on a weekly basis. Will post relevant sketches, only stuff I need help with to check list whether I'm on the right track
Finally got myself a Smart phone and a Wi-Fi connection so now I can follow you guys :D

I thought I could figure out the fundamentals by copying and coming up with something like how to analyze angles and kind of wing it and I did come quite a bit with what I intended to do but I couldn't quite solidify it.

So now it seems I have to learn perspective to make better sense of what I tried doing so far.
I can't explain with words alone lol.
As for proportions, I'm sticking with Loomis's body proportions.

Current Goal:
-Proportions and Perspective and applying theory into practice
-Main aim for now is to figure out the basic rules of perspective.

Will post some fresh stuff this Friday night (IST)
Just learned how to copy surfaces in 3D space

By the way, does anyone know how to divide a rectangle in fifths, sevenths and nineths?
Any specific technique for that?
Dividing it in half and thirds is fairly straight forward but what about the rest?

I need it for my body proportions actually.
How to Scan/Photograph your art (optimization)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJrgnxKe...J&index=31
Cant go wrong with Loomis+perspective combo. Good luck on the goal man.
Perspective Stuff
Trying to decelop a sense for it
the cubes and manga copying exercises gave me the gist of how it kinda works
now i just have to solidify it
Also some loomis stuff.
Will change over to loomis for sometime and thinking Of going into still lifes for the cube construction stuff.
Scott robertson's book is too technical in somr aspects so I will just stick to winging it in and feeling it out for now. Loomis is worth it, totally. I feel I will get something out of it if i keep at it.

[attachment=70608]
[attachment=70607]
[attachment=70606]
[attachment=70605]
[attachment=70604]
[attachment=70603]
[attachment=70602]
[attachment=70601]
[attachment=70600]
[attachment=70599]
[attachment=70598]
[attachment=70597]
[attachment=70598]
[attachment=70595]
[attachment=70594]
[attachment=70593]
[attachment=70592]
[attachment=70591]
[attachment=70610]
[attachment=70609]
Abstract Shape Study
Perspective on anime faces 
THIS really helped me out a lot where feeling the camera level   is concerned.
I feel I should do more loomis and combine the perspective basics with this.
[attachment=70611]
[attachment=70612]
[attachment=70613]
[attachment=70614]
[attachment=70615]
[attachment=70616]
[attachment=70617]
[attachment=70618]
[attachment=70619]
[attachment=70620]
[attachment=70621]
[attachment=70622]
[attachment=70623]
[attachment=70624]
[attachment=70625]
[attachment=70626]
[attachment=70627]
Good so far dude, keep it up!
Keep them coming, every drawing puts you one step closer to your goal.
All about them fundamentals - you know where it's at ^ ^

Don't stop, get it, get it <3
Posting a bit coz I had some questions about bridgman. Will post the other stuff later since I wanna buckle this down right.

[attachment=71017]

[attachment=71018]
[attachment=71019]
Hey man, The construction technique looks ok but your proportions are off. The heads are too elongated vertically to begin with if you are going for realistic proportions. If you adjust that, then the eyes should be a little bit less than half way down the total vertical height of the head. Basically squish the whole thing down and move the eyes to the correct position and that is a start.
Accurate proportion and placement is the first thing to nail. Use the reference and copy it identically the first few (hundred) times if you need.
(07-20-2015, 05:25 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: [ -> ]Hey man, The construction technique looks ok but your proportions are off. The heads are too elongated vertically to begin with if you are going for realistic proportions. If you adjust that, then the eyes should be a little bit less than half way down the total vertical height of the head. Basically squish the whole thing down and move the eyes to the correct position and that is a start.
Accurate proportion and placement is the first thing to nail. Use the reference and copy it identically the first few (hundred) times if you need.

Thanks for the response. :D
Should I mould the shape to turn it into contours like bridgman did and proceed for proportions or just focus on basic box and prop. Guideline placement using those 3 plates of front side bl3/4 which bridgman posted in his book?
Heya, you mean these right (bottom ones)?
[Image: Bridgman%2520-%25200089.png]

Well yep I guess you could do that as a start. Once you can draw these from memory quite accurately, you can probably start mixing it up and using the box to place the head in perspective with the correct proportions.  To be totally up front I read, but never really used Bridgman to do my anatomy training, but it is a very solid approach. 
At some point you might have to go back down to the basics of the skeletal proportions, landmarks for figures and skull studies for the face to really nail down anatomy in detail because it is all built from that up, but definitely keep going with this. :)
Some stuff I did 36 to 48hrs ago. (I think)
Sorry for the slack. Spirit wavered back there. Will not let it happen again.
Gestures were 2 min ones. Just showing some of them. 9 out of 26 I think. Will crank it down to 6 since it makes it easier for posting but I resized the images already so oh well...
[attachment=71030]
[attachment=71031]
[attachment=71032]
[attachment=71033]
[attachment=71034]
[attachment=71035]
[attachment=71036]
[attachment=71037]
[attachment=71038]

Then some still life stuff. Not much. 

[attachment=71039]
[attachment=71040]
[attachment=71041]

Then I fell addicted to Nanatsu no Taizai anime and marathoned with Meliodas for a whole season. Thats why sorry for the slack lol. Won't go back in that loop.

[attachment=71042]
[attachment=71043]

Then I guess a little long study of Loomis which was nit going quite well. I think Bridgman suits me more. Easier ya know.
[attachment=71045]
[attachment=71046]
Bridgman again. My head feels weird. Did this from ref. I think I should do a couple pages more and post and see if there is any change.
[attachment=71047]
[attachment=71048]
Hey dude, I wanted to try the bridgeman method for myself and help you out as well.

I didn't go off the reference, I just did some random face.  I've marked the areas in red where you should look at the differences to see where I think your proportion, placement and measurement is off.  

I think there is some perspective distortion in your piece due to the camera angle so I can't tell exactly, but the head shape seems a bit too pointy at the top of the cranium.
The ears are too low (they should align with the bottom of the nose. and a bit too large.

In general I think the placement and size of your eyes is throwing off the face. Also the eyes are a bit too narrow and close together (should be 3 equal eye widths from the left eye outer corner to the right eye outer corner). 

This might not be bridgeman but the corners of the mouth tend to align with the center of the pupils.
Hope it is useful.

[attachment=71051]
(07-20-2015, 11:13 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: [ -> ]Hey dude, I wanted to try the bridgeman method for myself and help you out as well.

I didn't go off the reference, I just did some random face.  I've marked the areas in red where you should look at the differences to see where I think your proportion, placement and measurement is off.  

I think there is some perspective distortion in your piece due to the camera angle so I can't tell exactly, but the head shape seems a bit too pointy at the top of the cranium.
The ears are too low (they should align with the bottom of the nose. and a bit too large.

In general I think the placement and size of your eyes is throwing off the face. Also the eyes are a bit too narrow and close together (should be 3 equal eye widths from the left eye outer corner to the right eye outer corner). 

This might not be bridgeman but the corners of the mouth tend to align with the center of the pupils.
Hope it is useful.

Thank you so much :)
Hey! It's nice seeing some Bridgman studies! I've got some advice and tips for tackling Bridgman in the future.

One is the brow line. The brow line is the key landmark of the face. Getting it right makes everything easier. What is important to remember is that the eye sockets are a depression in the face and the brow sticks out like a wedge above it. In the centre of the brow line you have this keystone shape that leads into the nasal bone. This also recedes into the face, just a bit less than the eyes.

If you look at the human skull, there is a very clear line where the front plane turns into the side plane. This is something Bridgman marked in every drawing so you can tell where the one plane becomes another. This change happens on the brow line and if you look at his drawings, it is something you always notice.

Don't worry about things like eyes because they're minor relative to the overall structure. Bridgman is all about getting the big stuff correct. Then when you've gotten good at that, you can start to read the spiritual successor to Bridgman "The Human Figure" by John H. Vanderpoel. It basically covers all the things Bridgman doesn't.

Like Amit said, focus a bit more on proportions. If the big proportions are off, everything becomes off.
Here are a few simple alignments that have helped me quickly check if something is off.

The width of the keystone shape in the brow is the same width as the wings of the nose, the base of the nose (that part that attaches to the front plane), the square of the chin and the curve where the lower lip looses most of its mass. Amit mentioned the pupils and the mouth. The brow line and the bottom of the nose align with the ears (however perspective must be factored in to this). The face is 5 eyes wide at it's widest (this factors in the side plane that curves away). From the hairline to the brow is the same as from the brow to the nose and the nose to the bottom of the chin. This same unit can be used to describe the distance from the bridge of the nose to the edge of the eye socket.

Anyway, I hope it helps :)
Changed my approach to gestures after watching a hampton demo on Youtube
And working on some loomis proportions for the body. Trying to follow a schedule I made but it is kinda all rounded so it kinda annoys me that I can't spend a whole day on figure drawing. Maybe I should modify it.
@Tristan: Thanks for the feedback and tips  Will work on it :)
[attachment=71123]
[attachment=71124]
[attachment=71125]
[attachment=71126]
[attachment=71127]
[attachment=71128]
[attachment=71129]
[attachment=71130]
[attachment=71131]
[attachment=71132]
[attachment=71133]
Pages: 1 2