Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Jeffrey's path to glory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello ladies and gentlemen! My name is Jeffrey Heemskerk, born and raised upon the sunny Dutch shores.
It's my lifelong dream to become a professional artist, so I thought I'd try and post my learning journey on here.

I am going to update this blog weekly or more.

I'd love comments and critiques, my goal is to become better after all, I will definitely take it to heart and I'll make sure to check out your sketchbook/portfolio as well! 

Here's the first bunch:
Hello Jeffrey, welcome to Crimson Daggers! I must say I'm already impressed with what I'm seeing here, I absolutely love the design of that monster. I'm eager to see what else you will post.
Great sketches. look forward to seeing more.
Hey man welcome aboard! Already digging your stuffs. Looking forward to see more of your posts in following weeks. Enjoy your stay :D
Welcome newblood! Really liking the plant monster, looks like you studied plants/bugs and applied them into nice design.
Thank you all for the replies! I'll be sure to check out your sketchbooks as well :)
I did study plants for it yes, I based it around several different strains of pitcher plants,and I also wanted to get some Nashandra (from Dark Souls 2) in there.

Here's the next batch, trying to sketch some insects and mammals from reference without working too long at them. 
Still working out how to properly add shadow and use vignetting. I feel they get a bit crowded sometimes.
You've drawn a stag beetle...this is already becoming one of my favourite sketchbooks! 

Only thing I could suggest really is that you could emphasise the darker areas of those studies, kind of like how you did with the rhino study. Anyway, keep it up, I look forward to seeing more work from you.
The creature in the OP is breathtaking. I'm absolutely loving your artstyle, especially those highlights. Really good stuff.
The plant creatures are fantastic. I love the animal sketches. I can't wait to see more.
Hey Jeffrey welcome to the daggers! Lovely studies you have here, also love the wasp´s description hehee!
Welcome! : )
There are some really neat and inspirative sketches here, I'll definitely keep an eye on your sketchbook.
(And I agree on wasps being flying douchebags :'D )
Thanks everyone :) I'm happy to be here.
You guys are very motivating!
Glad you like the description on the wasp haha, someone should really teach those creatures some manners.

On to the next batch! 2 Dragons of old, a Gavial and a Komodo Dragon! 
Next up I may do something digital, depends on the weather :p
So, long time no update! I was very very very busy with CGMA's dynamic sketching 2 with Peter Han, which is definitely worth the investment I think. Here's three layout pages showing the best works of the course. Comments and critiques are very, very welcome!
I'm still here! Sorry guys, I stopped posting because I only wanted to show stuff that I found amaeeazing. Silly, I know, I should show a lot more of the growing process. Anyhow here's a batch, I never actually stopped drawing so I hope you can see a bit of a jump in skill :p
[attachment=97587]
[attachment=97588]
Wow - I love these animal drawings dude! Do you first do your construction lines in pale coloured marker and then draw over the top?

Keep it going!
Thanks :) Yea I use light warm grey markers to block in some basic proportions, then take it as far as I want to with fineliners and such :)
Gosh I love how you break those creatures down into simple forms and how well you are able to handle them *.* and that colored piece is just beautiful! Mooorree <3
Thank you! Yea it's a technique I learned over at CGMA, everything is made out of boxes, spheres, cylinders, triangles and cones. I was looking at your work as well, very nice! I have done quite a lot of human anatomy drawings as well, I'll see if I can get them scanned ASAP, as well as critique some of your work. For now, let's have some ancient animal bones! 
[attachment=97639]
woo nice shapes m8! love the solidity and firmness of them fish!
Amazing sketches! Also, the bird in the left might be lacking feathers, but it's still super cute!
Pages: 1 2