Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: hello hello
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
it took me a bit to muster up the courage to post. to establish a sketchbook first or to not establish a sketchbook first? kind of terrified seeing all these amazing artists say they're not that good. if y'all aren't amazing, then what does that make me? haha

hallo!
i'm rosie, an incoming junior in high school with ambitious plans and frequently, not enough motivation. i've been doodling, drawing, painting, whatever for as long as i could remember. for these last two years of my high school career, i will be focusing on developing my portfolio for the college board's ap studio art 2d design exam with a little extra for a college portfolio. perhaps i'll even stick around for college and beyond!

regarding the aforementioned sketchbook, i have multiple. i specialize in crappy scribbly doodles with to do lists, homework, and etc. written all over. aka the true reason i decided to write this first im scared to show my work because i haven't quite found myself yet. i've made things, but i don't quite feel myself in them yet if that makes sense.

my goals : find myself. improve. help others improve. make friends.

i look forward to meeting and growing with you all!

- rosie
(07-18-2015, 10:39 AM)rosapo Wrote: [ -> ]it took me a bit to muster up the courage to post. to establish a sketchbook first or to not establish a sketchbook first? kind of terrified seeing all these amazing artists say they're not that good. if y'all aren't amazing, then what does that make me? haha

hallo!
i'm rosie, an incoming junior in high school with ambitious plans and frequently, not enough motivation. i've been doodling, drawing, painting, whatever for as long as i could remember. for these last two years of my high school career, i will be focusing on developing my portfolio for the college board's ap studio art 2d design exam with a little extra for a college portfolio. perhaps i'll even stick around for college and beyond!

regarding the aforementioned sketchbook, i have multiple. i specialize in crappy scribbly doodles with to do lists, homework, and etc. written all over. aka the true reason i decided to write this first im scared to show my work because i haven't quite found myself yet. i've made things, but i don't quite feel myself in them yet if that makes sense.

- rosie

Welcome to CD, rosie :) Since you're in high school, I highly recommend you do the Fundamentals quests ;) So draw a lot from life, anything, anytime, and anywhere! Just keep filling up those sketchbooks and don't worry about anything. You find yourself through action - like mining for diamond. And don't worry about not fitting into a category or role, that is easily adjustable later on. 

Welcome again!
(07-19-2015, 07:47 PM)meat Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2015, 10:39 AM)rosapo Wrote: [ -> ]it took me a bit to muster up the courage to post. to establish a sketchbook first or to not establish a sketchbook first? kind of terrified seeing all these amazing artists say they're not that good. if y'all aren't amazing, then what does that make me? haha

hallo!

- rosie

Welcome to CD, rosie :) Since you're in high school, I highly recommend you do the Fundamentals quests ;) So draw a lot from life, anything, anytime, and anywhere! Just keep filling up those sketchbooks and don't worry about anything. You find yourself through action - like mining for diamond. And don't worry about not fitting into a category or role, that is easily adjustable later on. 

Welcome again!
thank you lots, meat!

do you know where i could find those fundamentals quests?
I learned mine in art schools, and we drew a lot from life - things we see around us, from unusual viewing angles. We also did a lot of human figure drawings from life, both nude and clothed - and a lot of selfies because it's free :D  Another notable exercise we did that I remember is drawing the same thing like 50 times - so we would be tasked by our professor to draw 50 noses within a week or 2. When done in concentration like that it really forces you to notice and learn something about noses that you won't other wise if you space the 50 noses out to 2 months. 

Also learn from doing copies of other artists works. But those are kept in private or scrapped because they're copies of other people's works. 

Also learn from books :)
thank you so much!!

i think the first thing i'll do is the exercise with the fifty of the same thing in two weeks. besides hands, what other tricky body parts do you recommend i do?