Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Prince G's SB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's up everyone!

Alright lets get this SB up and running. Been away from the forum scene for a while and need to get from under my rock/comfort zone and start making some changes. I want to have a place to show my progress, struggle more so than not, and interact with some fellow artist.

Got an old SB hidden somewhere on CA.org. Nothing major but I'll try to link to later when the site works again lol. 

I'll start off by dumping some not too old ref. studies and just go from there. Thanks for stopping by.
Welcome to daggers.
Post some imagination work aswell, and make sure you apply the studies you do.
Hey man, nice studies. So you can duplicate a photograph pretty well. Not perfect, but pretty well.
You probably know that photos tend to have really shitty lighting and exposure, and capture things very differently to our eyes, so what I am seeing is you duplicate this while simplifying, and while the images end up looking like the ref, if you just take the image as an illustration, the colours to me end up a bit flat. Weird how that works hey? We expect that in photos, but (depending on preference) it's not that useful for illustrations. Depends what your aim is as an artist I guess.

So perhaps a challenge if you want to do more photo studies is to amp up the challenge a bit more, and try and approach it as if it is a real world situation and imagine what your eyes would pick up that the camera doesn't. Perhaps also pick reference that aren't so high key, or studio lit and posed, but that are in more naturally lit situations; like that kicking girl. That way when you learn and apply you won't be applying and learning studio lighting.

And when you got time let's see what you can do with something other than photo studies. :) Still lifes, life drawing, anatomy stuff. And as cracked said, the imagination work is where you find the flaws to work on, so it would awesome to see some of those as well.

Welcome again.
@crackedskull - hey thanks man! Glad to join again. Yea I crank out the imagined stuff slowly as I struggle with some ideas but thanks and will do.
@Amit Dutta - Thanks for the input! Yea definitely right on with the photo studies and such. I've been focusing a bit on the construction side of things and have neglected the rendering/colors. I'll give it a shot.

Been adjusting to this job for the past few days working Saturdays too. But enough about that.

Some studies from Micheal Hampton figure drawing book and some Loomis head practice.
[attachment=71547][attachment=71548][attachment=71549][attachment=71550]

Drawings from refs practicing lines and proportions a bit.
[attachment=71552][attachment=71553][attachment=71554]

Some imagined stuff. I've been doing a lot of gestures lately (mainly 1 min) to help loosen my figures.
[attachment=71555][attachment=71556][attachment=71557][attachment=71558][attachment=71559][attachment=71561][attachment=71562][attachment=71563][attachment=71564][attachment=71566][attachment=71568][attachment=71569]
Wip of an illustration i'm struggling a bit with trying to decide on the elements involved and coming up with a background. Messing with the perspective and just blocking basic colors at this point.
Hey, great work! I can see you're putting out a lot of great quality stuff.

I can also see that you're overdoing highlighting a bit, and having some slight problems with proportion. Particularly with that black girl-- The face you were reproducing was shrunk inwards, and the head was too small for the body. Remember to take care with every line you put down when reproducing things.

My best advice for you isn't really my advice, but something I found online about studying. Copying/reproducing isn't necessarily studying, even if it may help-- This is something I've been doing as well, which I need to kill. For the most part.

Here's a video about it that's really helped me to see the point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kfK46nruKM

It can be difficult to really look behind what you're doing and get an abstract/theoretical sense of how it all fits together. I think that something that will help us both, is to write down notes of what we're analyzing, and what we notice about it. Where the light is coming from, how it casts the shadow, and why the person's stance is the way it is. Maybe even breaking it up into its most simplified parts.

Let's try to get the most of our studies. :)
Whats going on guys and girls? Been a long while. Trying to catch back up on here. Don't have internet at home so I'm at the library for the time being. 

Just want to start off posting some gestures I've been trying to keep a habit of doing. These definitely help with keeping my drawings from being so rigid. Mostly 20, 1min. each a day on and off since November from Quickposes.

Sorry they came out small just tried to cram as many as I could in each one.
[Image: Lh2qU6WKyIRdUKVdzq5WwXtYY9iZsrXdChQGl1bw...90-h660-no][Image: Np7OSNN5bB_XO9jvYQKZOXGjkJ8zlii-6mzf_TNg...90-h436-no][Image: MButn7ZpOE_uTMDixecKlkBKfw6UXHCg1VU4ttJ8...28-h775-no][Image: fsXyj3wBg4B0trfeFwh8eeGZmpU2h51snzeNMEgz...61-h775-no][Image: bjPaEwLhcys64Ubi0AAbuT1BX-Jg91Nu1ixjXCvX...28-h775-no]
[Image: -b-vrsN_EaRczlH-du5mFAmtMrAaNxzj8bpUhQXL...01-h750-no]
[Image: c0ODyW84thUtUGOA7UFg2hKsmtF-UGCC28gKu2PQ...75-h775-no][Image: OVXIy_sU_SRCPpv5WGtf5kzBzD-n_Wxxl8X_M1zz...87-h775-no]
[Image: 3Xm1yblUtobQYOndC-oUpttWDBTq6EIbXupe4_aT...01-h750-no]
[Image: BOXdDJC9Z0kyxxFmDEYbw6NzZLBp4oTuQz61-yPf...05-h775-no]