Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: The Velvet Revolvers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Hey Snipa,

I'd like to suggest quality vs quantity at this point in your studies. All of these feel rushed. Just done them just to do them. Gotta time your time with them. Instead of 6 rushed ones, do 3 slow meditated ones.

Your clouds look weird because you are not giving enough attention to the form in clouds. When painting clouds you gotta watch out for Edge control, Figuring out where the hard edges and where the soft edges lie, is crucial with clouds.

This is the studies I did yesterday in preparation for the personal piece.

Another lion
[Image: 22770606197_743735bcdd_b.jpg]

Lion sketches

[Image: 23164771915_8bba8bea07_b.jpg]
[Image: 22868979450_61cba11605_b.jpg]

Some forms from imagination
[Image: 23138652256_53d0b93dd3_b.jpg]

Progress on the painting.
[Image: 22537735683_3c5cba5fcc_z.jpg]
Jeso : OOoohhh, that lion warrior is looking so badass! That sword looks a bit strange to me, the way it grows bigger towards the end, I could definitely be wrong about this, but I don't think swords grows bigger towards the end, these type of swords are normally characterised in cartoons or something like that.
Unless you are trying to show it in perspective, in which case I think you should "turn" the handle more into perspective, in line with the blade

Herers some figure studies from photos from Scott Schuman, such an amazing blog!
Trying to simplify masses of shapes and create cleaner and more confident lines :)

[Image: 2015-11-21.jpg]
Wow, thanks for the advice I am better than I thought I was, all I need to do is stay on the study a bit longer. I figured out the what I had done wrong with the clouds. I was using one brush for constructing the clouds, and for what I was going for, which is realistic clouds, I found that it began to resemble the clouds you would see in anime, or those tutorials on deviant art. So I was blocking in clouds with a harder brush than necessary. I resolved it by choosing three brushes this time. The lion studies you did were good, someone on deviant art had told me that drawing through the sketches, really helps.
For anybody looking to practice poses, and gestures, I find that quickposes is a good site to practice with.
(11-22-2015, 10:14 PM)izene Wrote: [ -> ]Jeso : OOoohhh, that lion warrior is looking so badass! That sword looks a bit strange to me, the way it grows bigger towards the end, I could definitely be wrong about this, but I don't think swords grows bigger towards the end, these type of swords are normally characterised in cartoons or something like that.
Unless you are trying to show it in perspective, in which case I think you should "turn" the handle more into perspective, in line with the blade

Herers some figure studies from photos from Scott Schuman, such an amazing blog!
Trying to simplify masses of shapes and create cleaner and more confident lines :)

[Image: 2015-11-21.jpg]

Yea I was trying to foreshorten the sword and make it come towards the viewer, but kinda failed, and it also looked wrong to me. I figured I'd fix it on the fly. But what you said made a lot sense, I'm going to play around with that handle's perspective.
Cool studies bro, Thanks for linking the blog, Gonna check that out!
So, this is where im at with my piece, any comments ?

[Image: 22893182849_660eda91ac_b.jpg]
The clouds are beautiful. Everything is coming together nicely.
[Image: cloud4_zpspslkezer.png]

[Image: land_zpsm2ffi2p9.png]

Beginning to spend more time on things...
Hey Snipa, your clouds are getting better man! good work. Maybe just draw a little bit of clouds next time, so you have more time to render it out completely, because this you just posted, those clouds still feel incomplete. So, instead of painting a huge mass of clouds, paint a single cloud, and try to finish it.

The second painting is really good ! Is it a study from somewhere or from imagination? A little advice though, I dont think You would see any warm greens at night, If the moonlight is your only light source, then most greens will look on the cooler side, like the greens you got going on in the background.
Nice atmospheric perspective btw.

Keep it up bro.
Sorry for the lack of updates guys, i've had a bunch of issues lately mainly sleep related which is causing hell with my concentration and time, had sleep issues all my life but it's really starting to get bad now slept 14-15 hours the other night and it causes hell with trying to get to sleep at a decent time the next night as well, jobsearching has been getting in the way as well, have'nt had much time for drawing. i'll try to upload some stuff later though.

Jeso:Yeah lion knight is lookin good man, as Snipa said clouds look beautiful, the gesture looks a slight bit stiff to me personally and the lion head does'nt look like it fits completely well with the body yet, also if he's on a seperate layer maybe try experimenting with where to put him on the page, he looks alright right now but it might look better compositionally if he was put to the side more.
Jeso, I used Daz to do a pose that might help which address foreshortening and general anatomy issues. Also tweaked values to get more depth and bring focus to your character. The background shapes seemed too claustrophobic around your figure I felt.
[attachment=77203]
Thanks Amit!

Some studies.

[Image: 22943972139_db34e8a7f0_c.jpg]

Some dynamic figures.

[Image: 23311876585_0115cac9b2_c.jpg]

stuff from imagination

[Image: 22943971499_bc0c491ee8_c.jpg]

[Image: 23016088310_af3816ebe1_c.jpg]
Armor study
[Image: 23316017881_dd524f51ac_b.jpg]

WIP

[Image: 23030624939_685784a15e_c.jpg]
Hey Jeso!  Your stuff is looking awesome, man.  Sooo clean and polished.

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile.  Real life hit me hard.  Grin

Some stuff:
Jeso:Nice, that lion warrior is really starting to come together.

Bookend:Know the feeling, I have'nt been able to draw much in general due to a bunch of rl issues.
[attachment=77431]
[attachment=77432]
Hey BOookkkkk!! welcome back buddy. Hope to see you around more consistently.
And Trigger!! cool pelvises bro. I admire your will of power to go for such a long period of time practicing such boring topics. You a better man than me.

Haven't uploaded much on my end neither, cause, I'm doing this stupid online schooling thing that I think is going to help me move overseas in the future, I'm doing that while slowly hacking away at that lion illustration. And I'm also waiting for my client to send me the next commission cause i need cash bro.
SO that's why.
Hi!

awesome thread, I'm so happy to see people working this hard!
Triggerpigking:  Rock on with those pelvises, dude!  ROCK. RIGHT. ON.  Grin  My suggestion would be to try to draw those pelvises from memory, and also to make them 'Practical Pelvises'.  

By that, I mean that maybe they are pelvises of action, and need to be drawn with the torso and the shoulder-line in different poses.  

Once you get the pelvis, torso, and shoulders down, with the spine, and able to draw them all together, you can do ANYYYTHING MAN.  But, that's just my suggestion-- Do what you do, your own way, and you'll get there the fastest.  But, if anything I say helps-- WOO HOO.  Grin

Jeso:  Thanks man-- Me too.  ME TOO.  I really want to keep consistent.  I'll try not to get discouraged this time.  Just got to stop myself from getting too hyped/excited. :)  Do we have any group challenges this month?

imPhelikz:  Me too!  Feel free to join us. Grin

---------------------------------

My work todayy..  It's not much, but it's something!  I'll produce faster work as time goes on, one hopes.

I have a rough breakdown of a plan which I wrote in my Sketchbook-- Basically just going to stick with humans. Grin
Annnnd a portrait.

Here's the reference: http://www.quickposes.com/assets/poses/e...b7c3be.jpg
Hey Cool stuff Book! Nice practice. All too rough to keep any suggestions right now, but, keep the mileage going.

We did not have challenges recently. Mainly becuase, suddenly, very suddenly it was only me in the group for like a week, and maybe trigger. Like people suddenly stopped 100% showing up. So I put challenges on hold. Hell, I even forgot about the weekly reviews. None there to read them haha.
Do you have a suggestion for a challenge book? I'd say environments would be a good one. As a contrast to the previews one (figures.)

imPhelikz: Hey thanks! Feel free to jump in!

And a Wip from my lion.

[Image: 23505446075_dc4e97f9ac_c.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26