Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Trying to capture Frazetta's style
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi people:) I've been trying to see if I could capture just a glimpse of the style of the great Frank Frazetta lately. This is my second attempt. I tried going for a triangle composition. Personally I think the three pursuers are maybe painted a bit too 'softly' comapred to the hero. And the guys farthest back isn't looking good. Are the colors too diluted/boring?

What do you think? Did I get anywear near capturing the style? Any comments are welcome!
I am still learning this stuff myself but, this is great start

A part of what made Frazetta's art so good was his dynamic and lively composition. IMHO, you might consider putting the actors closer together to create more tension, use overlapping and perspective to help with the log element. Consider focusing on the barbarians powerful shoulders, and show the face to add emotion.  I added a very rough paint-over…

Example

[Image: Frank%20Frazetta%20-%20Conan%20le%20destructeur.jpg]

[img][Image: 709692e0-9d85-4ead-a7ce-63f75e89d7cb_zpsw4huhpnj.jpg][/img]
Thanks for your feedback:)
It seems that everywhere I post this people say the say thing that you did, that the composition is lacking. 
You have a point that the image could be made more dynamic if the perspective was pushed more and making the pursuers overlap more. I think it could work even if we're not seeing the warrior's face (a number of Frazetta's painting show the protagonist from behind).

Thanks again for the commets and the paintover!
Cool.

Yes it could work without the face showing. Since people naturally look for and focus on faces it can help to convey emotion. This is a great start however.

Keep it up!