Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Matt's sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Oh, hi. I've been doodling for a few years, thinking that I was learning to draw. Two years ago I actually started to learn to draw. I've had a tablet for a few years, but never configured it properly, so I never really used it much; it only led to frustration (perhaps something to do with mouse acceleration...) Finally got it sorted out a few months ago, and last week I decided to actually learn digital, so here are most of my studies since.
Hey, welcome to the Daggers! Cool stuff, that's a great start to a sketchbook, looking forward to see more from you! You seem to have a pretty good grasp of colours and values already, and I love your brushwork - keep it coming! :)
Oh, thank you. Here's some stuff I finished up this morning.
So I only did one study today. Just a rough skull. I didn't bother too much with the rendering, just trying to block things in. I had a fair bit of trouble with the teeth, and in the end didn't get them right.
Instead of doing another master study, I did some doodles from imagination. Which is significant for me, I probably haven't done anything of the sort for 8 years or so. Judge me not, but I'm pretty pleased with them. I've struggled for a while to do anything from imagination.
Haven't gotten as much painting done as I'd have liked to in the past few days. Here's a lil' doodle from last night, and a WIP study of John William Waterhouse. Oh and merry Christmas.
I think this is as far as I'll take this one. Spent a few hours on it last night, and when I started again this morning, I realized that I was just mindlessly rendering. Still, it was a worthwhile exercise and it got me back into the swing of things after a brief laps over Christmas.
love your brush work, spot on with colour aswell :) great stuff
@[b]rainbowsorknives[/b] Oh, thanks so much. 

I guess I'm so brushy because I'm a total noob at digital painting. I still haven't totally gotten used to using the tablet, so my lines feel pretty wobbly. When I'm looking at something I'm going to paint, I'm not really looking for lines, but shapes and their relationships, so that's probably the biggest thing. It feels like I'm just flicking with my wrist and my hand is really tense. I'm used to being much more loose, and drawing with my elbow. 

Didn't have a good painting day today, but I did one little study. Another John William Waterhouse. Its probably really clear in this that I'm looking at general shapes more than anything else. If I was going to do a full master study, I'd probably do some preparatory measurements.
(12-28-2015, 09:05 PM)Matthew M Wrote: [ -> ]@[b]rainbowsorknives[/b] Oh, thanks so much. 

I guess I'm so brushy because I'm a total noob at digital painting. I still haven't totally gotten used to using the tablet, so my lines feel pretty wobbly. When I'm looking at something I'm going to paint, I'm not really looking for lines, but shapes and their relationships, so that's probably the biggest thing. It feels like I'm just flicking with my wrist and my hand is really tense. I'm used to being much more loose, and drawing with my elbow. 

Didn't have a good painting day today, but I did one little study. Another John William Waterhouse. Its probably really clear in this that I'm looking at general shapes more than anything else. If I was going to do a full master study, I'd probably do some preparatory measurements.

Ah dude i think its great, it really gives your work a traditional look :) looking forward to seeing how it develops as you get more used to working on a tablet, good luck bro
First digital still life; an Amiibo figurine from Splatoon. I buggered up the initial drawing, so I had to invent some areas. 

Also a couple studies from photos taken in New Zealand early last year. They were taken on the Routeburn track, near Queenstown. 

I recently acquired a copy of Loomis's Figure Drawing for all it's worth, but I'm not sure how to study it. I've read the first chapter, and I understand how the information is built upon things covered earlier in the book. Is the correct way to go about things just mindfully copying the drawings, or is it a matter of application of the knowledge to photos, or perhaps a combination?? I want to into figurative study, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Cheers
Hey Matthew! Really nice sketches, I like em. I want to get into digital painting too, nice to see your progress, I'll definitely follow your journey. Do you have any favourite artists to study from?
Oh thanks! A few favorites for landscapes would be Albert Bierstadt, Frederic Edwin Church, and Thomas Moran. I'd also recommend watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfF-P70V2Q
It gives a pretty good explanation as to how to go about master studies. There's also a list of artists to look at in the description.
These are what I've been working on the last few days. I don't know how long I spent on each of them, but no doubt quite a few hours each. Both are studies of Ivan Shishkin
Hiya. Today I started off with some thumbnails, which in retrospect, were pushed a little bit further than actual thumbs.
Later I had another go at Loomis's Figure drawing. Probably spend two hours or so on them, scratching away trying to get accurate lines. I'm still not quite sure how to study the book. Mindful copying and memorization? I'm not too sure yet. I've read a bit, and the information is profound, but I'm not quite sure how to effectively  learn it.
To finish the day, I did another landscape from a photo. Not nearly as finished this time.
I love your painting style, it's really loose and picturesque! For studying in general (not only from Loomis' books) I have found it best to, like you said, copy and memorize and then try to draw from imagination, while keeping in mind what you've learnt. For the last drawing of the man, I'd suggest you break it down into parts (head, neck, rib cage, etc.) and keep in mind the proportions noted down in the book. Hope that helps, cheerio!
Oh, thanks so much.

Mm yes, I'd figured as much, but wanted to make sure I was going about it the right way. Thanks for the confirmation.
Didn't get much done today. It was a bit of a struggle to start. That is, the battle as always.

The first and last study are after Ivan Shishkin, the second after Ilya Repin. Sishkin was an absolute beast at painting forests.
Nice painting here Matthew! I'm new here myself but I'd also like to say that I think you have a really strong grasp on colours and values.

I'm also intending to study from Figure Drawing For All It's Worth by Loomis and I was also just going to copy out his diagrams to begin with.

Anyway, keep going mate - looking forward to seeing more from you.
Thanks Artloader.

Again, not much done today or yesterday. More studies
Not terribly much art going on a the moment. I think my tablet is on the fritz. There appears to be some distortion of sorts.  I'm having all kings of wiggly lines, even when my stroke is perfectly straight. Bellow are some wiggly examples. These were drawn with a ruler, and I've changed color of the brush to demonstrate that the wiggle follows a consistent path. It doesn't appear to be a problem with the stylus, I've tried switching it out for another, with the same results. I've done a bit of googling, but any similar problem appears to be caused by a dual or tri monitor set up. I'm using a Bamboo CTH-670 pen and touch. Have reinstalled the drivers with no effect.

If anyone has had similar difficulties or is able to help, that'd be greatly appreciated.
[attachment=78896]

So, I have tried banging my head against the wall and tried to get some digital done, but that only really lead to frustration. So, in the mean time I finished a drawing I started like 6 weeks back, before I was doing any digital.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5