Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Imperial Steam and Light - James Ng Art
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

Imperial Steam and Light is a personal art series inspired by Chinese history and the Industrial Revolution. I'm now working on a comic book based in this world. Fee free to comment, critique and support me by connecting with me on social media :) (links in my sig) Thanks everyone!

Imperial Aiship
[Image: Imperial-Airship.jpg]
Generating mass air pollution in its path, the Empress's airship is big enough to block out the sun as it approaches a village, demonstrating the overwhelming power of the Imperial family.

Harvester
[Image: Harvester.jpg]
Cuts and waters crops with ease. A mix between a tractor, a robot, and multiple farming tools, the Harvester is the ultimate farming solution.

Bridal Carriage
[Image: Bridal-Carriage.jpg]
In traditional Chinese marriage, the hour of the ceremony is crucial and often determined by a fortune teller. Skilled mechanist combined a traditional bridal carriage with the power of the steam engine to ensuring the timely arrival of the bride, all the while displaying the wealth of the family.

Imperial Inventor
[Image: Imperial-Inventor.jpg]
Losing almost everything in a horrible engineering accident, the inventor now focuses all his time creating new machines for the Imperial family. His only companions are his robotic servant, and pet parrot, for whom he also created a robot friend for.
Part 2

Immortal Empress
[Image: Immortal-Empress.jpg]
With the exception of silver hair, the Immortal Empress retains a youthful appearance. She is permanently attached to her floating golden throne, that pumps a mixture of Mitha and advanced medicine directly into her ageing body. Essentially half human half machine, her place on the throne is eternal, as is her rule over the empire.

Night Patrol
[Image: Night-Patrol.jpg]
Assassins and thieves beware. Stepping into the circle of light generated by the patrol will not only cause the guard dogs to attack but also set off the gong and baton alarm.

Imperial Sheriff
[Image: Imperial-Sheriff.jpg]
The famed sheriff of the Imperial City, known for his metallic arm The Iron Kirin.

Court Band
[Image: Court-Band.jpg]
Ever vigilant for assassins in disguise, the Blackguard, the Empress's elite group of servants, have replaced all court performers with steam-powered dolls, to ensure the safety of the Empress.

Key Keeper
[Image: Key-Keeper.jpg]
The recently deceased Keeper organized the keys for the Imperial Dungeon. With him gone, only his cats could pair the thousands of keys to their lock, but they refused to work without their master. The Imperial Inventor reanimated the Keeper's skeleton with steam engines to satisfy the loyal pets until they find a better solution. The skeleton of the eldest cat was also reanimated as a mobile key cutting machine.
Part 3

Crystal Herbalist
[Image: Crystal-Herbalist.jpg]
Losing almost everything in a horrible engineering accident, the inventor now focuses all his time creating new machines for the Imperial family. His only companions are his robotic servant, and pet parrot, for whom he also created a robot friend for.

Exorcist
[Image: Exorcist.jpg]
The Exorcist combined the brute force of his steam powered mount and traditional Chinese black magic to repel the undead. He preforms a ritual at the altar atop the head of his mount, while a family of pet owls employ charms, a golden bell, and Taoist mirror to enfeeble the horde.

Raccoon Express
[Image: Raccoon-Express.jpg]
A combination of steam ingenuity and street food culture, the Raccoon Express is a famous attraction of the Imperial City. A catchy tune performed by the chimney-bots signals its arrival and entices the public. A pack of trained raccoons trail the Express, cleaning up any mess left behind by the hungry mob near the tracks.

Chimera
[Image: Chimera.jpg]
The Chimeras were constructed to clear the Imperial City streets during heavy snowfall. The Greek myth of a creature with a lion's head and a snake's tail, is the inspiration behind the design and the nickname given to these winter machines. The lion's head devours the fallen snow as the snake's head expels it to the side of the road.

Imperial Convoy
[Image: Imperial-Convoy.jpg]
This once-retired fleet of imperial ships have been refitted with basic artillery to protect trade, diplomats, and the interests of the nobles across the imperial skies.
Part 4

Clockwork Liondancer
[Image: Lion-Dancer.jpg]
The Clockwork Liondancer is aided by steam-powered machinery, controlling the movement of the hind-legs, eyes and mouth of the ceremonial lion, he performs the traditional Chinese dance with a steampunk flare.

Teahouse Concepts
[Image: Teahouse.jpg]
A young couple await for their seats in a local teahouse accompanied by clockwork pet birds and servants. The Dimsum Bot strolls the floor serving customers. Her headdress acts as a menu while the steam used to power her wheels is recycled to keep the dimsum hot inside her steamer-skirt.

Pet Walker
[Image: Pet-Walker.jpg]
The Pet Walker is armed with a treat dispenser and a clockwork scooper to keep the dogs happy. Unfortunately, the technology is not advanced enough to intercept the falling debris from the pet birds, which often land on the walker's head.

Gambling Den Concepts
[Image: Gamble.jpg]
The den boss counts her earnings while the bouncer watches over the underground establishment. The Dice Bot hosts a game of "Fish-Prawn-Crab", a Chinese gambling game. He shakes the 3 dices with the clockwork contraption in his torso, while sorting coins with his mechanical limbs.

Thanks everyone for looking! Feel free to connect with me on social media :)
Great stuff! Really dig the airship and the empress!
(01-17-2016, 12:15 AM)iJeffrey Wrote: [ -> ]Great stuff! Really dig the airship and the empress!

Thanks Jeffrey, those two are my favs :)
Oh my! You are awesome man. Not only I love every single piece but I also dig into the explanations/stories. You have a very creative mind sir. I don't like robots but yours are very likeable. Keep bringing those cool ideas.
(03-05-2016, 02:41 PM)PurpleScissors Wrote: [ -> ]Oh my! You are awesome man. Not only I love every single piece but I also dig into the explanations/stories. You have a very creative mind sir. I don't like robots but yours are very likeable. Keep bringing those cool ideas.

Thanks so much PurpleScissors, really appreciate it :)
I have seen your works in Steampunk Bible. It is an interesting book really. Congratulations for that.
Really amazing, love both the techinque and the concept. So inspirational!