Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Art tool showdown:
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apple iPad Pro w Pencil  (IOS with ProCreate/Sketchbook Pro)

vs

Wacom Cintiq Hybrid  (Android with Clover Paint/ Sketchbook Pro)
Samsung Galaxy Note   (Android with Clover Paint/ Sketchbook Pro)
Microsoft Surface Pro2    (Win10 with Clip Paint Studio/Sketchbook Pro)

My first opportunity to use the ipad Pro/Pencil for a few art studies. I will post results over the next few days, and compare my experience with my other tablets.  

[Image: ZTBPVXL.jpg]
Day 42, Sat Jan 16 at 8pm

Painted on a Apple iPad Pro/Pencil with Procreate.

This is the first time I have used the iPad and Procreate. So far I am finding the pencil performs very well with little to no stroke lag, even on large “retina” images and brushes.

When using larger brushes, the lack of a on-screen indicator of brush size makes painting different than when using Wacom technology.

Procreate seems offer a good range of brushes and tools .

I found a way to keep on screen reference without having to use Split screen, I will talk about that more later.

[Image: UiwmmRe.jpg]
Art tool showdown Part 2:

Apple iPad Pro w Pencil vs Wacom Cintiq, Samsung Galaxy Note, Wacom Companion Hybrid

Comparison between the iPad Pro and the Samsung Galaxy Note 12.2 is inevitable.

Hardware wise, the iPad is significantly faster, more solidly built, plus the Pencil has a nice weight, length, and the tilt sensitivity allows for unique functionality. The Samsung Galaxy Note has a Silo to store the sPen, expandable storage, and the sPen is Wacom EMR, with a button on it.

Software wise Android seems to have better options for multitasking. Samsung OS has much better multi window functions, plus the google play store has several apps that offer multitask / multi-window / floating functions. Multi-tasking on ios 9 is new but somewhat limited. Spit view offer two panes that can be 50/50 or 70/30 shared in size. the smaller view can only by the right pane. Split view does not work well for me as I am right handed and I prefer the reference image to be in the smaller pane. Pip (floating window) only supports video. I used photoshop to convert several ref images to a video format, That worked much better for screen economy but is limited in size and placement.
Workflow wise, IMHO Android (and windows) is far better than iOS. Multitasking is flexible with many options, several apps offer options to bind the device hardware buttons (Volume, Home, Stylus keys..etc) to in-app functions.

With Wacom technology (and n-trig) the stylus size and location can be displayed on screen when hovering near the screen, the apple Pencil does not do this. For me this is significant as using larger brushes is difficult to judge the area the stoke will affect.

Finally there is file handling. I just find it more difficult to move files on and off the iPad in comparison to other operating systems.
More to come...
[Image: 3dMo3lH.jpg]
It's pretty cool you're sharing your experience testing and comparing these different sketching and painting platform possibilities :) So thank you for sharing!